Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Style Name: SPF 70+ SpraySize: 5.0 OunceChange
Price:$8.98+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on March 9, 2005
My daughter and I have searched for a sunscreen that both of us would like, and never found one that was completely satisfactory. She has oily skin prone to breakouts, and mine is combination. Every one we tried always left a greasy feel and look to the face, even the ones that were supposed to be oil-free.

Finally, I came across a review of this product on Paula Begoun's website ([...] The review sounded good, so I went out and bought some right away. My daughter and I both LOVE this product! It's the only sunscreen we have ever used that doesn't leave a greasy feel or look to the skin. It dries to a matte finish, and works very, very well under foundation, too. Without foundation, there is no need to use powder to kill the shine. And it feels so light on the skin, you barely know it's there!

If you have oily or combination skin and have never found a sunscreen that doesn't look and feel greasy, try this one! It's the best!
on February 1, 2007
I am a biochemist by education and was a teaching in physiology in a university. As such, I am very knowledgeable about chemistry and the human body in general. I really like Neutragena products and this product is certainly very high quality. For most people, I think it offers great protection, but not the best protection for people who need to be very conscious of sun exposure and the possibility of skin cancer.

According to my dermatologist, recent studies have shown that SPF 15-30 wipes off after a few hours and doesn't offer adequate protection after that time. This is partly due to most people not using enough. In other words, they underestimate how much they need to apply to get that level of protection.

For this reason, Neutrogena SPF 45 or 55 is better. Also, the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer products have been updated to include a technology called Helioplex. Most dermatologists that I know feel that this makes a difference in effectiveness and for some people this is going to be very important.

I have used both this product and the higher SPF Helioplex formulations. In practice, I have found BOTH adequate for my needs. What I particularly like is that you don't even know you have the product on. It has virtually no scent and it really is so sheer you can't even notice it. Both of these products stay on a long time and are good for all day use, but my understanding is that the Helioplex formulation is even better. Further, it feels exactly the same on the skin. The only drawback is it's a bit more expensive.

This is also a good product because it protects against both UVA and UVB rays. Both are implicated in skin cancer and it's important to protect yourself against both. If you are looking for an everyday sunscreen this might be the one. However, if you want the very best protection try the Neutrogena Helioplex SPF 55. This will give you the most peace of mind.
on April 20, 2012
Very glad we had bought this for our vacation to the beach! I forgot the tops of my feet and when they were burnt to a crisp I realized how well this worked! My husband spent several hours in the ocean and it did not wear off after 5 to 6 hours! When it says water resistant - it really is waterproof & sweat resistant!

However, if you are looking for a tan, don't get this. The 45 spf is too strong to get a tan quickly, I barely had any color after a 7 day vacation in my swimming suit!
on June 26, 2010
The spray application of Neutrogena's popular Ultimate Sport Sunblock is an excellent addition to your sun protection arsenal.

First off, a few notes on usage. We use this on arms, legs, fronts and backs. It's ease of application assures we don't miss spots that rub on creams often do. We still like to actually rub it on to the skin though as it's easy for it to accumulate on the surface or on body hair, and rubbing it in after spraying assures an even application. Also, don't use this on the face or in poorly ventilated areas, you probably don't want to inhale all the organic compounds in this or any other sunscreen. Finally, this sunscreen has oxybenzone in it which can cause skin sensitivity in some folks. (There are other concerns about this class of organics for sunscreen use, but they are generally significantly safer that sunburns and skin cancers.) So in the end, this product doesn't preclude cream based sunscreens, especially for the face, but application is a lot more complete and easier for the trunk and limbs.

Results with this sunscreen have been great for us. When applied evenly (and reapplied every two to three hours when in the sun) we have not gotten burned once. It has no unpleasant odors and isn't greasy once it has dried, which takes about two minutes in our dry climate. We buy it in bulk from amazon and save a lot over the drugstore prices. We always keep a can on hand for outside activities.
VINE VOICEon June 3, 2006
This is the 2nd year that I have used the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock, SPF 45. I have Normal to Oily, sensitive, acne-prone skin. I am fair and can burn easily.

I think this product is well worth the money, it is quickly absorbed into the skin and has a dry feel. It does not make your skin look greasy and has never caused me to break out. I apply it in the morning and it pretty much lasts me a good 8 hours. The time will vary depending on your sun tolerance, though. It is also conveniently sized to toss in your bag and lasts quite awhile.
on August 8, 2010
I like Neutrogena in general. I find that their products (for the most part) are pretty easy on my skin and won't break it out.

Now, I'm quite fair-skinned, and I want to keep it that way. I burn easily, even in the winter, if it's a clear sunny day. Because of some of the stuff I put on my skin regularly, it is an absolute requirement that I have a good sunscreen on hand to use every single day, or else it'll pretty much negate all my efforts to make my skin look better.

So on my search for a good sunscreen, a friend's mom showed me this stuff. I'd been eager to try it out for myself, because I'd heard it works really well and I hate greasiness of regular 'ol sunscren.

It certainly doesn't make my skin greasy, but it leaves a bit of shine, like most sunscreens do. When I put it on, I barely know it's there, which is a huge plus! I just get a generous amount and cover any area that'll be exposed to the sun before I start the day.

The only drawback to this stuff is that it has a sunscreen-ish smell that I'm not particularly fond of, it's not a reeking, knock-you-out dear god what is that kind of smell, but it is strong enough to where you'll know it's on, and anyone close to you might catch a whiff, too. I'm not going to lie, when I first sniffed it, I was really really hesitant to slather it on...I usually have to spray on some body spray to cover it up, or else people will wonder why my skin smells so weird. After a while, though, maybe half an hour, I notice the smell kind of diminishes, but it's still there if you waft hard enough.

All in all, I like this sunscreen. As an avid sunscreen fanatic (for good reasons, of course!) who wears SPF 45 all year round, even in the wintertime, this is honestly one of my favorite products I've found. It's not too expensive, I got it on sale for about $7, and if you use it every day, it should probably last you a few weeks (provided you're putting enough on!)The only drawback is the smell, while it's not bad, it's noticeable, but I think it's still a great sunscreen that's worth a shot if you're looking for something that won't make your skin feel like a slip-n-slide.
on January 19, 2004
Recently diagnosed with melasma, I was told that I must wear SPF 30 every day, regardless of my level of outdoor activity. I struggled to find a product that I could wear under foundation. Even the high-end department store cosmetic retailers couldn't provide a product that didn't leave that traditional greasy feel. This product is fabulous -- moisturizing but not greasy. With or without make-up, it leaves your skin looking and feeling great. And it hasn't irritated, inflamed, or otherwise bothered my very sensitive skin.
on June 8, 2015
I know others have praised this product but I don't recommend using it especially if you have very light skin like I do. I bought this in the spf 100 version. I used it twice while swimming. After 3 hours I not only was still very sunburned but the sunburn was very uneven. I've used spray sunscreens before that have never done that. I sprayed it on correctly so while it may work for normal outdoor use I wouldn't recommend it if your planning on being in water even though it claims its water resistant.
review image
on November 3, 2004
I cannot say how well this product really compares to other sunscreens in terms of sun protection. But it does have the right ingredients that most top-rated sunscreens/sunblocks use, so it should be at least on par with them.

Where this product really shines (or DOESN'T shine) is for people with combination/oily skin. I have tried MANY sunscreens, and it's so hard to find a sunscreen WITHOUT moisturizers (if you have oily skin, that's already your natural moisturizers).

I have even tried other NEUTROGENA sunscreens that are supposed to be OIL FREE and all that. The result on my face? After applying it, I always SHINE (which is NOT what I want).

This magnificent product, however, actually gives my face a nice MATTE finish... and matte FEEL, too! It's a pretty thick cream when you first apply it (as opposed to other suncreens or other products that feel more like LOTION), but is almost immediately absorbed by the skin. In 30 seconds, there is no more greasy/creamy feeling, and in one minute, if you feel your skin, there's a nice matte feel.

HOWEVER, and this is not the fault of the product, after about 3 hours (at least for me), then I feel like the matte effect has worn off, and my oily skin is again showing its oily nature.

Still, as far as suncreens go, this is the best I have tried for my skin, and I highly recommend it for people with combination/oily skin.

BTW, this review is for the actual product I got, which is SPF 30. As of the time I am writing this review, here in amazon they also offer an SPF 45 version, and cheaper, too! I don't know the difference, but I always go for the LOWER one (in this case, SPF 30), because I theorize -- rightly or wrongly, I don't know -- that the lesser the SPF, the lesser the strength of the ingredients, so maybe it's better for sensitive skin (?).
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have a family history of basal cell carcinoma (a form of skin cancer). This usually happens when my relatives are older (70s or 80s) and have spent a lot of time in the sun. I thought that if I was better about using sunscreens in my 30s, perhaps I could reduce my own risk of getting skin cancer. Usually, I love Neutrogena products. I use a Neutrogena foundation, concealer, toner, and body wash every day (and have been doing so for months and, in some cases, years, with no trouble). So it was not a difficult decision to make to purchase a Neutrogena sunscreen.

I used this for a little over three weeks on areas of my skin that were not covered by winter clothes: forearms, back of the neck, etc. After about two weeks, I noticed a red area on my right wrist, a little bigger than the size of a quarter. I just figured that since it was cold outside and my dog's leash was rubbing against my dry skin, that's what was causing the redness. It was dry, but it didn't itch, so I tried to remember to wear gloves and use hand cream.

Well, one morning when I was getting ready for work, I got the tube of Neutrogena sunscreen out and was getting ready to put it on when I noticed that the rash had spread all over my forearms. It itched (badly). And it was limited to areas where I'd applied the sunscreen. Needless to say, I stopped using the sunscreen. (Cortisone cream and eczema lotion for a couple of days helped the rash go away.)

As far as application goes, this stuff spreads well and actually is truly a "dry touch" product. It has a light scent that doesn't linger (so it won't conflict with any fragrances you were planning to wear). If you have never had problems with skin allergies/contact dermatitis in the past, this may well be a quality product and is certainly worth a try. (It's hard to find non-greasy sunscreens, after all.)

However, if you have sensitive skin or have ever had a bad reaction to a lotion or soap or sunscreen or similar product in the past, it is probably in your best interest to avoid this product (many of the other negative reviews mention similar rashes, so there is clearly some ingredient or combination of ingredients that causes issues for a certain percentage of users). Even though this product works for a lot of people, I feel it is important to mention the possibility of allergic reactions to warn those people who may be susceptible.

I'm still going to continue to use lots of other Neutrogena products (which are usually awesome for sensitive skin), I just had a bad experience with this one.

See 1 answered question