5.0 out of 5 stars Sure beats skin cancer
I've used this strength and other SPFs from Neutrogena with great results. As for another reviewer's caution, this is from the American Academy of Dermatology' web site:

1. What is oxybenzone and how is it used in sunscreen and personal care products?
Published on May 31, 2011 by Alan from Atlanta

Oh, how happy I was when I found this product a few years ago. Pricey, perhaps, but SO worth it. High SPF, non-greasy, UVA and UVB blocking, what wasn't there to love? My entire family of fair redheads depended on it for year-round protection.

Published on July 8, 2012 by jeninmaine

1.0 out of 5 stars Formula has been changed - can no longer use on sensitive skin., July 8, 2012
This review is from: Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Sunscreen SPF 45 Twin Pack 6.0 Ounce (Misc.)

This year, though, things were different. I eagerly stocked up on eight bottles of the SPF 45 before the start of the sunny season -- in previous years we used SPF 85 or 100 but I had faith in the claims that anything over SPF 30 was of negligible benefit -- and slathered it on the first time I was in the sun for an extended period. Even with wearing long sleeves and a wide-brimmed sun hat I ended up with what (I thought) was a painful burn all over my face and neck. It took a couple of weeks to clear and often resembled a rash, with raised, red bumps that itched like nobody's business. I didn't make the connection until the next time I used it and had the same result within hours. I don't wear makeup and I don't use cleansers on my face; the only moisturizer I use is specifically for sensitive skin and I've been using for a long time with no issue.

After doing some research I discovered that what I have is a photoallergic reaction to this sunblock, which means the sunblock itself doesn't cause a reaction, but once it comes into exposure with sunlight it does. Which completely nullifies the point of sunblock in the first place. I also read that Neutrogena had changed its formula and the older "blue label" bottles were different than the new "black label" ones - checking a leftover bottle from last year with the new ones from this year proved that the formula does appear significantly different, with this year's sunblock containing a number of new complicated chemical names I can't pronounce. One or more of them no longer jives with my extremely sensitive skin.

So now I've spent upwards of a month suffering from red, itchy, oozing, tight, dry, skin, which is now starting to peel and looks a fright. I haven't wanted to leave my house and I can't even count the number of times I've been asked if I'm all right/too hot/contagious. Horrifying. I am so very disappointed that I can't even properly express it. I guess it's back to the drawing board looking for a new sunblock that can protect myself and my family without giving us chemical burns.

A real bummer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sure beats skin cancer, May 31, 2011

Oxybenzone (also known as benzophenone-3 or BP-3) is one of 16 sunscreen active ingredients (compounds that absorb, scatter, or reflect ultraviolet (UV) radiation) regulated as over-the-counter (OTC) drugs by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).1 Oxybenzone provides broad-spectrum protection from harmful UVA and UVB rays. It was approved by the FDA in 1978 and is one of the oldest active ingredients in use today.

The FDA has approved the use of oxybenzone in sunscreen in concentrations of up to 6 percent, which is less than what is allowed in both Europe and Australia (10 percent).2 Oxybenzone also is used to protect cosmetics and other personal care products from deterioration by UV exposure.

2. I've heard oxybenzone called a hormone disruptor. What does this mean and are there any data to support this?
Concerns have been raised that oxybenzone may be capable of altering/disrupting normal hormonal (endocrine) balance. Specifically, oxybenzone is suspected of having estrogenic activity, which is the ability to exhibit properties similar to the hormone estrogen.

There have been some published observations using in vitro (test tube) cell lines, as well as studies in rats fed oxybenzone, and in fish, where oxybenzone was added to the water, which have indicated oxybenzone or its byproducts can demonstrate some estrogenic activity.4-9 However, the observed estrogenic effects of oxybenzone often are considerably weaker when compared to the estrogen (estradiol) used in these experiments. In some studies, a much higher concentration of oxybenzone (1,000 to 1 million times higher than that of estradiol) was needed to achieve a comparable result.

Importantly, available literature does not support a link between oxybenzone use and estrogen or other hormonal alterations in humans to date.10-12

3. Are there any studies in humans that demonstrate hormone disruption or other potential to affect human health?
Similar to many topically applied agents, oxybenzone has been shown to be absorbed by human skin10, and can be detected in the blood and urine of sunscreen users and the population at large.13-15 However, results from multiple studies do not support a link between oxybenzone and any short- or long-term health problems, or the increased risk of adverse health effects.

Specifically, when oxybenzone was repeatedly applied to the skin of human volunteers, it has been determined that:

No biologically significant alterations in reproductive hormones (testosterone, follicle-stimulating hormone, luteinizing hormone, or estradiol) have been detected;11
The concentrations of oxybenzone absorbed are not capable of disrupting normal thyroid hormone levels12, and;
The concentration of oxybenzone penetrating the skin is too low to cause epidermal cell damage.10
It should be noted that oxybenzone has been used as sunscreen ingredient since 1978, and aside from allergic or irritant reactions, such as photocontact and contact dermatitis, there has not been any report of systemic side effects of oxybenzone use.

Therefore, the proven benefits of sunscreen to prevent sunburn and reduce the risk of skin cancer outweigh any concerns of oxybenzone toxicity or health hazard.

4. What do the FDA or other agencies have to say about oxybenzone?
The safety of oxybenzone was originally reviewed and approved by the FDA in 1978, and it is one of the oldest active ingredients in use today.17

Since then, there have been additional reviews of oxybenzone by other regulatory agencies and expert panels with similar conclusions regarding its safety for use in consumer products. For example, in 2001 and again in 2006, the Scientific Committee on Consumer Products (SCCP) of the European Union (EU) developed an opinion paper based on a review of current scientific knowledge and stated "the organic UV filters used in cosmetic sunscreen products allowed in the EU market today have no estrogenic effects that could potentially affect human health."18

Also, the safety of oxybenzone for use in cosmetics and personal care products was also reviewed in 1983 and confirmed in 2002 by the Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR) expert panel, which is an independent panel of scientific and medical experts who assess the safety of cosmetic ingredients in the United States.19-20

Read the AAD paper with references: oxybenzone_questions_aad

4.0 out of 5 stars Not greasy at all!, May 13, 2011
I have to wear sunscreen every day and this it by far the best that I have tried.
The sunscreens that I have tried before leave either a white mask or a super greasy face. This product makes my skin look smooth and without grease! looove it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best sunscreen for the money, April 14, 2011
Love this sunscreen. I have purchased more expensive sunscreen, but it was really greasy. No greasy mess here! Does leave some white streaks, but if you rub it in it will go away. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The only sunscreen I will ever wear, May 21, 2014
It's absolutely worth paying more than the store brand for this stuff. This is the only sunscreen that doesn't make my skin greasy. I even use it on my face with no problems at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally! A Suntan Lotion That Isn't Greasy!, August 11, 2011
I bought this product after reading other reviews on Amazon. This is a great sunscreen for those of us who hate the greasy shininess after application. It worked really well when I was in the Caribbean and let me tell you: it is HOT and SUNNY down there! On touring/shopping days, I applied it only once and did not get burned even after being in and out of the sun for 8 hours. On swimming/beach days, reapplication is a must. Sunscreen just isn't waterproof, no matter what the bottles say!

I rated this product a 4/5 instead of a 5/5 because it did not spread very well. It's pretty thick and you really need to use A LOT of sunscreen to cover yourself. I felt even two 3oz bottles was cutting it close for having to apply sunscreen everyday (sometimes twice) for a 1 week vacation. Nonetheless, it's the best sunscreen I've ever used and I'll buy it again next season.

5.0 out of 5 stars Used for long time - repeat buyer, May 6, 2012
This is simply the best sunscreen. You can just slather it on and within minutes, your skin doesn't feel like you ever touched it with sunscreen. I keep trying other products but I always come back back to Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer sunscreen. You can't go back after using it. You feel like you're ready to be roasted with those other greasy sunscreens. Not with Neutrogena Ultra Sheer. This is like you have no sunscreen on. And, man, it works. I've got white freckled skin like the good Irish descendant I am. I NEVER get burned if I have this on. And I know you're supposed to apply and reapply all day. I never reapply (OK, maybe my nose and chest), and I've NEVER gotten burned with it on. It's so comfortable and ungreasy you forget about it, and good thing since it lasts on you so long.. Sand doesn't stick to it. You can wear makeup with it. You don't have a ghostly white about you as you do with so many zinc oxide-based sunscreens. I do tan some through it, but never burn. I've used it for years, but suddenly discovered the cheapest is on Amazon. So I'll stick with Amazon for my Neotrogena Ultra Sheer.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Coconut smell., June 29, 2014
I love this sunscreen. I just had a skin cancer removed so I now use this ALL THE TIME. Thought the price was good too, but then saw it at Costco for less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!!!, May 22, 2014
An excellent product even if you're in a wet and hot weather, your skin looks great and dry. I use it in a variety of conditions and works perfect! Highly Recomended.

4.0 out of 5 stars VERY DRY, May 16, 2014
This lotion advertises itself as a 'dry' product. How lotion can dry on the skin in less than 10 seconds is a mystery to me, yet it is dry. I work quickly with this product and would purchase it again, if only for my chest and upper arm areas.

Rate and Discover Movies