5.0 out of 5 stars SHOW ME A HERO...
Published on November 6, 2000 by David W. Coleman

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Written P.R. Piece - Much Better Books On Payton Elsewhere
I am a huge Walter Payton and Bears fan, and he was a huge hero of mine when I was growing up in Chicago. I believe he is the greatest football player to ever play in the NFL.

But I don't think much of this book.

This book has a lot of interesting quotes and stories and good information, but it is really poorly written, disjointed, and omits a lot of...
Published 3 months ago by Ken C. Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars SHOW ME A HERO..., November 6, 2000
If you think this is just the typical sports biography containing the typical boasts about on-the-field exploits and off-the-field hi-jinx, remember the subject is Walter Payton, and think again. This book is not even a sports biography. It's a life story, and by that I mean, a story about life. To linger or dwell on what Walter did on the gridiron would be to minimize and trivialize what he accomplished in life, and I say this realizing that he was one of the two greatest football players ever. The book is an easy, informative, and interesting read. You learn about his life in football, but the book is not a study in X's and O's. Instead you learn of Walter's work ethic, his compassion and empathy for others, his fun-loving ways, his sensitivity, his selflessness, his toughness, and his courage, to list only some. He operated a philanthropic foundation that reached out to millions in his lifetime. He anonymously distributed hundreds of thousands of toys at Christmastime. Even after he became gravely ill, he campaigned for greater awareness of the need for organ donors. And he raised two children who have become promising young adults, which he felt was his greatest accomplishment. Walter Payton inspired millions of his fans by giving his all on every play, and he lived his life off of the gridiron the way he did on it: he went all out and made the most of it. That the book was finished in an oral-history style, is fitting. It was never like Walter Payton to talk a lot about himself. Credit is due to his family members and friends, for being so open about their feelings about the man. The book has the ring of the absolute truth. It has been written: "Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy." This book is anything but that. Like the man they called "Sweetness," Never Die Easy is an inspiration. The tragedy rests with our society, which lost this great hero of humanity at such a young age.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true inspiration to all, October 17, 2000
I consider Walter Payton to be one of my childhood heroes, primarily from his unparalleled feats on the football field and his "Never Die Easy" attitude as a Chicago Bear. This excellently written biography not only reaffirmed my childhood adolation, but added to my perspective of what a truly inspirational human being he was. His tireless efforts in charity, his down to earth charm and genuine love and respect for his fans, his legendary work ethic, his bold business ventures, and especially, his brave fight against the liver condition which claimed his life are all described brilliantly through his own observations as well as those closest to him. In short, this book convinced me that my childhood sports hero will always be an inspiration to me as an adult. I recommend this book and its powerful message to all readers, regardless of your familiarity with Mr. Payton. Thanks for giving so much, Walter, we'll miss you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweetness Equals Greatness � A Bold, Inspiring Story, September 17, 2003
A. Wolverton (Crofton, MD United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Never Die Easy: The Autobiography of Walter Payton (Paperback)
When I get depressed, when I complain about my life, and when I think people owe me something, I think of Walter Payton. Then I think of never giving up, always taking advantage of each day's opportunities, and being truly thankful for each breath I take. That was the Walter Payton way of living.
Most of the book is penned by Payton, but several parts are written by members of his family as well as friends and coaches, such as Matt Suey and Mike Ditka. Walter's entire life is represented here, from his early days in Columbia, Mississippi to the Chicago Bears to the illness that led to his death at such a young age. To say that the story is inspiring is like saying the sun is a pretty good light. This is one of the most inspiring books I have read in a long, long time. It will have an effect on all who read it. You don't have to be a football fan to appreciate and enjoy the book. Just a regular, ordinary person - that's the way Walter saw himself.
After you've finished the book, don't be surprised if you start looking at life differently. You might start thinking more positively. You might start spending more time on things that really matter: your family, your friends, helping other people. Like I said, don't be surprised.
Walter Payton was a class act in every way imaginable. If you don't believe it, look at most of the guys playing pro football today. How many of them are in it for the team and not for themselves? How many of them credit the people around them and not themselves? How many of them praise others' ability and not their own? How many of them can stay out of trouble and avoid scandal? Today's players could learn a lot from Walter Payton. So could regular people like you and me. Thank goodness God was pleased to send us Walter Payton. Read the book and you'll understand how special the man was and how he continues to bless lives after his death. A must-read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never die easy, but always be humble, September 1, 2005
The theme of this book could be that while it is important to "Never Die Easy" it is perhaps even more important to be humble about your success.

When Walter Payton died, I felt like I had lost a friend. I cried at the news, and at the same time felt odd about doing so. I never met Walter Payton. However, I followed his career, game by game for 13 years, and those years represented most of my young adult life. I always admired his tenacity, his sheer determination, and his unsurpassed skill on the football field. Every single play was a joy to watch. No one before or since played with that level of intensity on every down, every game. But what was even more impressive than that was his approach to life.

When Walter break the NFL all-time rushing record, he said "this is for all of those who tried and didn't make it". Even more amazing in this era of spoiled athletes was that Walter meant those words, and lived them. Greatness and humility are a rare combination in professional sports. What we see throughout this book, in his own words and those by others, is that in spite of all his records and his success, he got up every day and gave it his all.

The book itself covers his childhood in rural Mississippi through his professional career and to his early death due to liver cancer. The book is not written in the first person, which is disappointing, but understood in that it was written after he died. It is a series of paragraphs and reflections by different people who knew him, and by Walter himself.

I recommend buying and reading this book. You will see a person who was truly the best football player of all-time, and at the same time was everything you would want a man to be - a caring father, loving husband since he was 20, a humble teammate and some one who never, ever quit and had a work ethic most can only dream of. A look at some great life lessons and awesome principles to live by. I am still inspired by his approach.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not your typical autobiography and that's good..., October 5, 2000
By A Customer
if you were a fan of Walter, like me, then you felt more than a loss of the greatest Bear of them all. I felt I knew him like so many fans he touched. I felt that the circumstances surrounding his death always neededed more explaination. I wanted to know how he handled it, if he was in pain, how others helped him in his last days and who was there for him. I wanted to make sure he was ok.
Walter came into the league when I was 15 yrs old and didn't leave until I was 28. He was a part of the best years of my life as a Bear fan and like so many thousands of others who will read this book, it helps describe the courage, compassion and love so many people had for him and how they helped him in his last year on earth. It helped me understand.
The first chapter grabs you and doesn't let you go. I wasn't looking for a typical autobiography. This is just what I needed. Thanks Walter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Payton's Last Plea, January 14, 2002
Like many, Walter Payton was my hero when I was a kid and, like many, it broke my heart when I heard of Walter's death. I was so heartbroken, in fact, that I could not even bring myself to read this book when it was first published. It sat ignored on my bookshelf for months. When I finally picked it up, it was almost everything I had hoped for. Walter wasn't perfect, but he strived to be the best person he could and, really, that's all you can expect from anyone. This book confirms that fact.
The book attempts to cover every aspect of Walter's short but full life: his humble but proud upbringing in Mississippi, his dazzling college and pro career, his (premature) retirement, his up-and-down business investments (including a failed bid to own an NFL franchise), his ambitious (and often anonymous) charity work, his illness, and his untimely passing. Since Walter could not finish the book, Don Yaeger supplements Walter's interviews with comments from those who knew him best. Unfortunately, this means some sections are thinner than they probably would have been had Walter been able to give us his full story. But, in some ways, it is more effective than a first person narrative would have been as we see Walter not only as he saw himself, but also as others saw him. Really, it's the best Yaeger could do.
This is NOT a book about football. While I do wish the book spent a little more time on Walter's football career, I realize this book was meant to be about Walter Payton the man, not Walter Payton the football hero. After all, football alone did not define Walter Payton. In many ways, this is Walter's last plea. Be humble. Be grateful. Work hard. Love each other. Never give up. Never die easy. Maybe the book isn't perfect, but it's a beautiful message, isn't it?

5.0 out of 5 stars The Man Behind The Player, February 16, 2003
TheHighlander (Richfield, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Everyone knows about Walter Payton, the hall of fame football player. They know that for years he single handedly carried the Chicago Bears on his back all the while working his way towards becoming the NFLs all time leading rusher. But the fans could not know the man Walter Payton, the father Walter Payton, the man under the football player.
This book is made up of thoughts, feelings and quotes of Payton's closest friends and family members as well as himself. It is insightful and emotional. These are people that cared for him deeply and it shows. Beginning with his childhood and progressing to his death, this book covers a lot. It was origionally started as his autobiograhpy but unfortunately he passed away before it's completion. So they added the perspectives of his friends and family, in their own words to round the book out.
I remember Walter Payton, the football player, and was a fan. I now know Watler Payton the man, and must say that I am a fan. He was an outstanding individual. Read this book and you will see a refreshing look at a professional athlete and a refreshing look on life and death. Walter Payton is truly a man to remembered.
Bottom line - you can't go wrong with this book. Read it an enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique Format for a Biography, Touching, Read it, December 17, 2000
tim747 (Glenview, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This book was enjoyable and touching. I read it from start to finish without stopping. The structure of the book makes it easy to understand and follow. Specific topics are addressed in each chapter with separate accounts of the narrator and then by Payton and Payton's friends.
Payton was a warrior on the football field and a philanthropist and businessman after his career ended. This book will give you a glimpse into his entire life. Walter Payton was a man to be admired for his playing ability and his sweetness as a person. If you are a Walter Payton fan read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars For any fan of life, September 9, 2000
Staci Hatz (Carmichael, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Even if your not a football fan, it's a great book for any fan of life!

5.0 out of 5 stars very powerful, December 2, 2000
Walter Payton was not only a Great Player but the Brother had a Real Soul&Purpose in Life.this Book Covers that&so much more as well.He had Heart&alot of drive,ambition&determination.He gave of himself so many times.He died so young.but the Warmth&SOul the Man Left Behind will never be forgotten he touched many lives for his Greatness on&off the Field.Mr.Payton was a Class Act.all the best to His Family.

Never Die Easy: The Autobiography of Walter Payton
Never Die Easy: The Autobiography of Walter Payton by Don Yaeger (Paperback - September 11, 2001)
$16.00 $12.40