5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting little film
There's something about 'Never Forever' that was so intriguing to me- I rented it and watched it 3 times. I later decided I really wanted to own it.

Published on June 3, 2010 by Slingshot

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT THAT BAD, NOT THAT GREAT
The film was interesting. The ending was a disappointment, and as another reviewer wrote, the child didn't look half-Asian, which also left me (as that other reviewer), wondering if the father of the child was Asian. I'm not a fan of confusing films.
Published 14 months ago by longbrownhair

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting little film, June 3, 2010
This review is from: Never Forever (DVD)

Vera Farmiga plays Sophie Lee, an upper class woman married to a successful Korean businessman who is troubled and depressed. The couple desperately want children but the husband is unable to make Sophie conceive. After his suicide attempt, Sophie steps well out of her comfortable world and in desperation secretly propositions a poor illegal Korean alien to get her pregnant. It is amazing to watch her and her 'hired man' move from total strangers 'in business' to an unexpected and very passionate love affair which opens a fresh world for Sophie, free from her husband's controlling nature. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific love story, April 2, 2010
This review is from: Never Forever (DVD)
I agree with the other reviewer that if it weren't for Netflix, I wouldn't have discovered this film. After watching it, then rewatching it online, I was lucky enough to find it in a sale bin at Blockbuster. Vera is absolutely magnificent as the passionate wife of a Korean American who wants desperately to give him the child that both he and his family expects. He's infertile, so she pays an illegal immigrant Korean to impregnate her, Jung Woo-ha (who is a well know actor in Korea), and what starts as business becomes something else entirely. The music is wonderful and this is a strong writing of love happening despite one's intentions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vera Famiga rocked, November 3, 2011
SPOILER ALERT> People think that the ending is not clear. IT IS. He had one call allowed from jail and she answered it! They're a happy family. But I think the director wanted to show that Sophie found peace within herself and that she wasn't going to do anything to please anyone else if it didn't please her. I think it was a great ending, except the fact that the kid looked TOTALLY white, not half asian. That's the only part that had me confused wondering if she even had a korean husband.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT THAT BAD, NOT THAT GREAT, June 22, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising sleeper, September 14, 2012
I really was happy to discover Never Forever. Vera is excellent in this, and the complexity of the issues and relationships is engrossing. Well worth the watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Convincing, August 27, 2012
A woman begins with no direction except to please her Korean husband at any cost. She makes a very unconventional decision which creates problems. This is the only place I feel the script begins to fall a little short. The relationship never develops any of the ways it would have to in real life. It could have used another 10 or 15 minutes and a more detailed ending.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another bold role for Farmiga..., July 14, 2008
This review is from: Never Forever (DVD)
Gina Kim's first attempt at a big film with known actors was a courageous project with a harsh subject matter. She decided to write and direct a film that captures the personal transformation of an emotionally stunted woman, who in short order, sacrifices herself for the sake of her husband's happiness but ends up finding love, passion and inner peace through motherhood.

Vera Farmiga plays the lead role, showcasing her inter-racial Korean marriage to a wealthy New York lawyer. Their inability to have a child has driven a wedge between them that appears to be destroying their partnership. Through a variety of scenes and events, she decides to pay for the "donations" of another Korean man to help anonymously become pregnant and save her marriage. The remainder of the film shows the inevitable destruction of her relationship and the consequences of creating such a pact. Several other small plot lines play out to show the culture she lives in, including an overbearing mother-in-law and Korean pastor who both impose their faith-laden ways in trying to make her become pregnant.

The film is shot with long scenes of non-dialogue and lengthy views of New York City. The sex scenes are graphic yet passionate, mainly because Vera made all of her intimacy so heartfelt. She is very believable in displaying her transformation, and you realize the film becomes all about her and not the actual relationships. The ending was deliberately vague, but if you look closely at the small details, there are several clues as to what has happened.

The DVD has two small featurettes (3 and 7 minutes) that provide little regarding the film. One is shot in Korean with no English subtitles, the other is more of a blooper and gag reel of the actors during filming with no narration. Only 1/5 of the film is Korean with English subs, the rest is all in English. The film is a definite watch for Vera's fans, as the other two cast mates are awkward unknowns and the camera work of New York is sub-standard, but tolerable.

5.0 out of 5 stars So sad!, December 9, 2012
One of the best movies I've ever seen! It was a very tragic story line that had a happy ending! I really recommend this movie! I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ha Jung Woo is a great actor in this film., April 5, 2011
This review is from: Never Forever (DVD)
I am an avid admirer of Ha Jung Woo. He is such a splendid actor. In this role he plays a difficult character and makes it believable. Farmiga also is just the actress to play this lead against Ha. It was quite believeble for me to watch her difficult decision, because in a Korean chaebol family it is absolutely required that the son will have a child and preferably a boy. It was his inability, and she took her own strength to find a way to satisfy her in-laws. Despite the awkwardness she was ultimately vulnerable to the emotions that developed between her and the Korean worker who needed money. Theycould not avoid the passion between them. I was constantly holding my breath to see them go over the edge of the 'business arrangement'. Ha just became irresistible to her.
. I have only one slight critical note. I wanted to see Ha Jung Woo with her and his two children in the beach scene at the end. You just know they are a happy family and she is finally a glowing woman who is satisfied with her life.
I truly loved this film and highly recommend it.
To appreciate the breadth of Ha Jung Woo as a serious actor it is fascinating to watch him in another film ..'The Chaser'.
Very harsh and a very heavy sinister film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!!!!!!, January 8, 2011
I really loved this movie. I was a little skeptical on renting it at first because I had never heard of it and I pride myself on being a huge movie person. Vera was amazing and so was Jung. I have always been a sucker for a love story. I loved the timeline of the movie. How slowly they went from never speaking to talking openly. Amazing movie. Definitely will be purchasing on DVD for my collection.

The ending confused and frustrated me at first. But now I chose to believe that they were able to be together somehow.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Never Forever
Never Forever by Gina Kim (DVD - 2008)
$27.95 $14.17