Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 10, 2013
This is a very solid series, and it seems ideal for readers who are ready for a book that is just a bit more advanced than a basic chapter book.

The four girls who are transported to Pixie Hollow, (Fairyland), have distinct personalities and are more developed as characters than I've generally found in books like this at this reading level. There is a plot, some action, a bit of adventure, and some common sense decision making. Not to be a wise guy about it, but the heroines are not fashionistas, or shallow mean girls, or drippy incompetents. They have a little oomph and they are generally engaging. There is a good give-and-take dynamic within the group.(In this regard they are very reminiscent of the little girls in Vivien French's "Tiara Club" sets of books.)

The writing is serviceable and not overly cutesy. The cloying sweetness you can get in some of the older-style Disney offerings is kept to a minimum. These are very straight forward books. There is no subversive humor or tongue in cheek dialogue or hip irony, (and Tinkerbell is no longer the homicidal psycho we know and love from the original "Peter Pan"). That said, the books are cheerful, mild fantasy adventures, with a satisfying and pleasant feel. That's not such a bad thing.

So, if you want an early reader that has a bit of fantasy/adventure and a nice vibe, this is certainly a decent book to look at.

Please note that I received a free advance ecopy of this book in exchange for a candid review. Except for that I have no connection at all to the author or the publisher of this book. I never met Walt, but I was assaulted by Pluto at Disneyworld.
22 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2013
This book is a great book for seven-year-olds who believe in fairies! While I was reading this book, I found alot of pictures, so it is not like a very long book.
I rated this book four stars because it was very interesting, but towards the end I wasn't that interested anymore. I mostly recommended this book for seven-year-olds because some ten-year-olds, like me, may lose interest reading because it may start to get easy for their reading level.
This book was a great book!
on January 8, 2013
Story Synopsis:
Friends Kate, Lainy and Mia are playing outside in Mia's yard when Gabby, Mia's little sister, meets Prilla, a fairy from Pixie Hollow. Prilla is a rare talent fairy in that she is a blink fairy. She transports to the mainland to visit children when she blinks as it is her job to keep children believing in Fairies, which keeps them alive. Mia cannot believe her luck--she always knew fairies existed but imagine her surprise when she gets to talk with Prilla!

In a blink everything changes. The four girls are transported to Pixie Hollow with Prilla. The girls are welcomed by Queen Clarion who instructs Tinker Bell and Prilla to watch over their short stay in Pixie Hollow. They should be able to return to mainland the next day when the conditions are favorable. During their short stay in Pixie Hollow, the girls get to see where the fairies live and work in Pixie Hollow and meet Terence when they go to get pixie dust so they can learn to fly.

Kate wants to learn to fly better so she can return to Pixie Hollow whenever she wants. After meeting Vidia, a fast flying fairy, promises to help Kate learn how to become a better flier if Kate meets her after the others have gone to bed. Tension mounts as Kate gets lost in Pixie Hollow after Vidia vanishes with the pixie dust Kate brought. What will Kate do and will the others find her in time for them to go home?

My Thoughts:
This is a cute new series involving the ever popular Disney Fairies. It is a great stepping stone up into longer books, perfect for those readers who need more of a challenge than Beginner Readers offer but are not quite ready for full fledged fiction novels. Within the story is a message about being truthful and the cliff at the end will keep the readers wanting to continue moving through the series. The artwork in the ARC I read were not final, but if the final art ends up being anything like what is present in the ARC, then it will enhance the story while helping break up the text for younger readers.

There was slight confusion on my part as to why Vidia has been banned from the going to the dust mill, but I cannot imagine many of the younger readers will think anything of this. Overall, I think this is an excellent edition into the Disney book family and I will not hesitate to recommend this chapter book to my library users.
on May 3, 2013
This book is notable in that it reveals the fairies of Pixie Hollow harvest their milk from MICE. Yes, you read that correctly. The fairies apparently breed mice for their milk. Somehow, I don't think Disney is going to incorporate this detail into an animated Pixie Hollow film anytime soon... it's a bit of an eyebrow-raiser the inference made it into the book to begin with... kudos to the author for keeping things provocative...

Also, Tinker Bell is more true to the spirit of the character's original roots - that is, a conceited little brat who needs to be knocked down a few pegs. It's a lot more interesting dynamic than the white-washed personality featured in the Disney Fairy movies.

The narrative is a bit pedestrian but remains a welcome divergence from identical chapter book subjects... if you're bored to death of Rachel & Kirsty's repetitive adventures securing endless items stolen by Jack Frost and his goblins, this book may serve as a worthwhile (albeit similar) departure from your child's compulsive fairy-oriented fixation.
on September 17, 2013
A fun romp, In a Blink is an ample introduction to the Never Girls and a handful of the Never Land fairies. I'd recommend this to anyone of any age looking for a little escapism with little recourse. On the topic of recourse, it would have been nice to have the act of theft that occurs in the book addressed and turned into a teaching moment rather than brushed off and lazily made into fuel for a mystery hopefully resolved in a future volume. Enjoyably however is how the world and characters are gently brought to life and given enough personality to give the reader options for who they most identify with. I imagine the younger readers will get the most from this book (it is written for them after all) but as a lover of children's books and young adult fiction I can say that the lack of pandering and the inclusion of uncommon turns of phrase will satisfy the more adult reader looking for a "snack." I would also say that this would be a great read-along or a take-turns-reading book for parents or caretakers and children.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon August 8, 2013
My 6 year old daughter is a big fan of Disney Fairies. Her favorite color is blue so her favorite fairy is Silvermist. She has been a big fan of the Pixie Hollow Tales book series and we probably have a dozen of those books. When we saw this new series, we picked up the first book as soon as we could. The first Never Girls book was great. It had a slightly lower reading level making it a better reading book for my daughter. She is good with the first series, but struggles on a few words here and there. In addition, there is a lot of consistency between the Never Girls series and the Pixie Hollow series meaning some of the terms that are unique to the Disney Fairies universe are used in both books. The consistency makes the new series a great compliment to the original. Now that we knew she loved the Never Girls series, we ordered books 2 and 3, which she finished in a matter of a few days, and pre-ordered books 4, 5 and 6. Once Never Girls #4 arrived, she finished it in a matter of days and really enjoyed it just like the previous books. We have since ordered every book in this series. Highly Recommended for your Disney Fairies fan!

Here are all the books in the series so far:
Never Girls #1: In a Blink
Never Girls #7: A Pinch of Magic
Never Girls #8: Far from Shore
Never Girls #9: Before the Bell
on March 5, 2013
My girls and I had such a wonderful time reading about a girl's take on Neverland! We can't wait to start book 2!
on January 3, 2015
These books are a little plodding but are fairly well written and my 6 year old loves them. She can read them herself, although the text is dense enough on the page, she'd rather I read them to her, which makes them good bed-time stories. They do a great job of incorporating all the Disney fairies with girls from the real world and including some good life lessons along the way. All in all, a good series.
on August 25, 2015
I really enjoyed this book it was amazing I felt like I was one of them the drawings are beautiful Kiki Thorpe did a wonderful job and I highly recommend it it's so magical you'll think your a fairy Once I read the rest my friend had number 2 So I got to read that!! So now I need #3
on April 3, 2014
I have a 4th grader that has a hard time with reading and comprehension. I bought the first two books in this series on a whim thinking maybe something aside from school books would make her WANT to read. We started by alternating pages and reading for 30 min a night and before long she was asking to read and wanting to read the entire time! The pictures are fun to keep her interested and the storyline is cute and easy to follow. There are cliff hangers at the end of several chapters so I was able to send her off to bed wanting to read more the next day and even talk with her about what she thought might happen next!

I highly recommend these books to parents with daughters who may struggle with reading!! We just purchased books 3 & 4!