Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on August 11, 2008
I never met a Mardy Grothe book I didn't like. And "I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like" is certainly no exception. In his Introduction, the author describes himself as "a serious quotation collector," and in this newest of his four books, containing nearly 2,000 analogies, metaphors and similes, he provides indisputable evidence of that fact. He has indeed delivered what he promises in the book's subtitle: "A Comprehensive Compilation of History's Greatest Analogies, Metaphors, and Similes."

However, "I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like" is far more than simply a collection of quotations. In his own highly readable, entertaining and informative style, the author tells often fascinating stories behind many of the entries.

I can't imagine any word lover not wanting this delightful volume in his or her library. But be advised! This is not a book to be devoured in one, two or even in a dozen readings. In what he calls his attempt "to compile some of history's greatest word paintings," Mardy Grothe has succeeded beautifully. To fully admire and appreciate these "paintings" will take time, but it will indeed be time very well spent.
on August 17, 2008
With "i never metaphor i didn't like" [sic] Dr. Mardy Grothe once again succeeds in deriving both amusement and plenty of food-for-thought from the nuances of figures of speech-this time from metaphor, simile, and analogy. This is another of his books worthy of multiple browsings for examples of linguistic wit, wisdom, pathos, and bathos thoughtfully arranged by subject. Dr. Grothe intersperses the quotations with background information, anecdotes, and reference linkages that enhance the reader's enjoyment and make the book more than just a list of quotations. I've thoroughly perused all of his figure-of-speech books, and I'm sure this one will wind up as well thumbed as his others on my shelf.

His introduction provides a quick brush-up on the characteristics of analogies, metaphors, and similes that is bright and readable without being tedious. And his index by author will be appreciated by anyone seeking specific who-said-whats that are scattered among various topics.

Mardy triumphs again in showing the feedback loop by which our language influences our thoughts and our thoughts influence our language.
HALL OF FAMEon August 21, 2008
There are certain kinds of books that are simply fun. They do not have any great thesis or argument. They offer the reader a selection of very varied fare and suggest sampling it.
So this collection of Metaphors, Similes, and Analogies. Some will make you smile, some will make you think again.Some you will have to squint a bit to puzzle out.
But it will all be enjoyment.
For me a book like this is of special value. As a writer I am always studying ( which does not mean- learning) how other writers did truly good things. This book is rich in examples. As Henny Youngman might have said " One man's metaphor is another man's corned-beef sandwich."
on August 11, 2008
Mardy Grothe is a national treasure and so are his books. I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like lives up to Mardy Grothe's platinum standard of wit, wisdom and insight.

It is absolutely amazing that one man has such a comprehensive collections of quotes. It is even more amazing that he has them well-organized into topics. However, the presentation of each quote, painted into a context and story is nothing short of sheer delight.

I am a big fan of Mardy, his books and his "Dr. Mardy's Quotes of the Week" e-newsletter (drmardy.com). If it seems that I might be overstating and exaggerating, then I welcome the reader to purchase a copy in a failed attempt to prove me wrong!
on August 5, 2008
I love this one and ALL of Dr. Mardy Grothe's clever books!

His exhaustive research, his witty chapter introductions, and his delight in words and word play are all evident and a joy to read!

His other books include, "Never Let a Fool Kiss You, or a Kiss Fool You," "Oxymoronica," and "Viva la Repartee," and they are so much fun, you will chuckle as you read them. As a fellow fan of word play, I adore reading his books and I'm eagerly awaiting his next, entitled, "Ifferisms."

Sign up for his weekly newsletter for even more interesting literary information and a puzzler, which I love solving!

--Linnda Durre', Ph.D.
Author, psychotherapist, and columnist
on February 10, 2010
I wrote a review here on Amazon for the author's "Oxymoronica" with the following praise: "I doubt whether there can be a better concise collection of HQ oxymorons". Sorry that I am a little bit disappointed with this. Of course, my comment is subjective indeed (I despise people who openly regard themselves as objective) but I feel obliged to warn potential buyers who had read his previous great work. As a reference book of metaphors, it's good in quantity, category and elaboration of origin, but not so in quality. Dont expect too much, especially after you read the other five star reviews of it like I did!

p.s. Below please find some of my favorites for your reference.

Doing business without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you are doing, but nobody else does. - Stuart H. Britt pg5
Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind. - Rudyard Kipling pg25
Light tomorrow with today. - Elizabeth B Browning pg28
A man should live with his superiors as he does with his fire; not too near, lest he burn; not too far off, lest he freeze. - Diogenes pg30
One does not discover new continents without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time. - Andre Gide pg31
Happiness is as a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but which if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you. - Nathaniel Hawthorne pg32
Do you think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational as knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago. - Horace Mann pg34
The art of living is more like that of wrestling than of dancing; the main thing is to stand firm and be ready for an unforseen attack. - Marcus Aurelius pg41
on August 6, 2008
I have in my library Dr. Mardy Grothe's previous three books "Never Let a Fool Kiss You, or a Kiss Fool You," "Oxymoronica," and "Viva la Repartee."

After having read once even an extremely well-written novel, most of us do not feel like reading it again. On the other hand, I fairly frequently feel like rereading for a while one of the above three books by Dr. Grothe. It's because the material in them is highly informative and witty. The particular genre of these three books enables me to randomly open any page in one of them and read the material on that page and the next few pages or any other pages. The way human brain's memory part has evolved, after having read these books once, my subsequent readings of them are of course much quicker while the wit and information stored in these treasure chests bring me experience of intellectual joy anew.

Expecting his latest book "I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like" also to be equally informative and delightful, I enthusiastically purchased it. After reading it, the thought occurred to me: "I never met a book by Dr. Grothe I didn't like!"

Reading Dr. Grothe's books is like watching linguistic ballets.

I find that a brief description of the "Metaphor" book is already provided above under "Product Description" on this web page; so I won't repeat it here. I would like to just say the following in closing:

Do you recall the "Try it! You'll like it!" slogan in the TV commercial some years ago for Bayer Corporation's Alka-Seltzer tablets? Well, regarding Dr. Grothe's latest "Metaphor" book, I would like to say: "Buy it. You'll like it!"

C G Jambotkar, Ph.D.
on September 23, 2008
I enjoyed every metaphor, simile and analogy in this book-- but why, pray tell, did he have to ruin them by explaining what they mean? Anyone literate enough to buy and read this book should able to understand them without having them explained. But he overloads on the explanations. The pleasure of a metaphor, etc, comes from thinking about the meaning. He gives them, then right away tell what they mean like he's teaching a bunch of school children. He talks down to his readers. On page 181 we read " Courtship to marriage; as a very witty prologue to a very dull play." Then he proceeds to tell us dummies what a prologue is. Same all thru the book. I guess he thinks the people who read this book are stupid. If he had left out the explanations it would have been so much better.
on May 26, 2016
I hate writing reviews, much less bad reviews, but I felt an obligation to provide at least one review that does not follow suite with all the other misleading reviews posted--clearly written by Mardy Grothe sycophants. I assume they are Mardy Grothe sycophants because no one mentions that this book is a misnomer and is unusually bad. The metaphors are obscure and barely relevant. The categories are equally obscure, maybe even esoteric. I set out to learn, arm myself, and educate myself with witty metaphors and profound analogies. The title reads "a comprehensive compilation of history's greatest analogies, metaphors and similes." I did not walk away even several useful metaphors, etc. It seems like the author selected far-out, hazy, clear-as-mud metaphors and analogies that were relevant to only to Mardy. Just so you know that I am not completely alone in my opinion, my fiance, who minored in English, also picked up this book out of curiosity and quickly put it down. But what drove me to write this review was that all the reviews, sang the book's praises, hallelujah, as if they knew the author personally. They were misleading. It does not have to be masterpiece but please some resemblance to the truth would suffice. But clearly, what was of least importance to the other reviewers was YOU. The person at home shopping for a GOOD book on "history's greatest analogies, metaphors and similes." Because let me tell you, this book, was not even close.
on April 23, 2014
I have yet to read a book by Mardy Grothe that is not deeply engrossing, encourages lots of reflection and is often hilarious at the same time. This is one of five I own, most of which I have read three or four times apiece. The amazing part is that the books are all about words and language! The book is primarily about metaphors and the author cautions that the reader should not speed read but think about each saying. I found it hard not to follow his advice because the more I would think about each metaphor, the more levels of meaning I would discover. If you want a reading experience that delights and informs I strongly recommend this or any of his other books.