Never spend more than $9.99 for a kindle book

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 26, 2010 1:03:17 PM PDT
K. Jarvis says:
Everyone: Never spend more than $9.99 for a kindle book. If everyone sticks together, they will have to lower the price. There is no reason that these prices are so high on an electronic book.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2010 1:31:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2010 1:34:36 AM PDT
Completely agree. And just to add a little twist to the price knife, Amazon will tack on tax if the eBook is listed for sale by the publisher rather than Amazon.com. In NJ this adds on 7%. I was really pissed when I saw this the first time. I cannot be mad at Amazon as they don't control the copyright, but if enough people say NO....HELL NO like K. Jarvis suggests the publishers will have to back down.

The future is electronic delivery, which greatly reduces costs to the publishers and streamlines publication. One secondary effect is that digital delivery does away with or greatly reduces the remainders that the publisher has. So, fewer excess books printed-another significant saving. Also, think about this, when you buy a printed book, how many people read it? Quite a few, I would say. Now, what about eBooks? I would hazard a guess and say it is very seldom that an eBook gets handed around like a printed one. The format simply does not lend itself to the practice. So, more people will purchase a copy of the book. How many more, I don't know, and really don't want to guess, but it would be more.
So, screw the publishers, DO NOT purchase a new book for more then 9.99. At worst wait until it is no longer a new release and the price drops to 6.99 - 8.99. Thanks for listening to my rant, I feel so much better.

Posted on Nov 1, 2010 1:04:43 PM PDT
I agree. I'm putting books that I want to read on my wish list, so that I don't lose track of them. But I'm not buying them until the price goes down.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2010 7:31:33 AM PDT
lswintx says:
I agree. since you don't have a book you can hold and read or share with a friend or even skip quickly through it to see something it should not cost so much. $9.99 should be max price for all

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2010 7:48:04 PM PST
Naomi R says:
I agree too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2010 8:52:54 PM PST
I completely agree. Why spend $14 instead of $15 for the book. Makes no sense!!!

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 9:56:06 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2010 11:22:27 PM PST
That of course Tandala is one option. But the whole point of buying the Kindle in the first place was for conveniance and cost savings. The savings were aggressivly advertised. Now, having spent $200 on the machine, and I do love it, it pisses me off that the publishers (in particular) are now trying to gouge owners for more money. So, NO I will not sell my Kindle. What I WILL do is boycott new releases that I believe are overpriced and will buy the book when it get's released in paperback and the kindle price gets reduced to ~$6.99 - $7.99. So, I still get to read the book, and the publisher loses out on the extra $$.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2010 7:18:45 PM PST
That has nothing to do with why I paid $359 for my first Kindle.

Since you never bought new releases previously and you aren't going to do so now--what exactly is your problem?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2010 12:35:35 PM PST
I would not pay more than $10 for an Ebook either...unless it is substantially lower than the paperback, forget it, I'll find something else..

Posted on Nov 21, 2010 2:07:00 PM PST
Patricia Cornwell is my favorite author of all time and she has a new release, Port Mortuary, and it is killing me to do this, but I also refuse to pay more than the $9.99 for an electronic book. I have had my Kindle from the moment Oprah introduced it to me and it is the one Peaceful Place I have in life. So please people, voice your support of this because so many of my friends are in fact refusing to buy as well, but just are not into commenting in print. Kindle Corporation, you made promises which were the biggest selling points, one of those was keeping prices at a realistic cost. Show your professional integrity and stand by your word! Times are really hard for so many of us, let us at least find someone that keeps their word and their prices affordable.

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 1:00:16 PM PST
RubyRocks says:
Hate to break it to you, but amazon has NO say over the price that's set for the books anymore. Especially not with Penguin books. Remember a while back when all of the Penguin books for the kindle disappeared and there was no option to purchase any of them? It's because the publishing company pulled their contract with amazon because they hated that the ebooks were going for $9.99 rather than the higher prices they were mandating. Amazon tried to fire back by selling the new hardbacks for $9.99, but they just couldn't keep doing that and continue to make a profit. At one point when the kindle books were removed there was even rumors that Penguin would yank the contract for the physical book sales as well, which is why amazon finally caved. They can't afford to lose a contract with an industry giant like Penguin.

Amazon has to either sell the books at these prices or they don't get to sell them. Don't bother looking for these ebooks cheaper elsewhere. They're the same price no matter where you go. That's the thing most people don't realize, mostly because the kindle makes it so hard to put any non-kindle formatted books on the unit. Unless you're going to download a bootleg ebook from somewhere and go through the trouble of putting it on the unit (and possibly get caught), the price is going to be set at $14.99 for a very long time for all of the new Penguin ebooks everywhere. Again, that's EVERYWHERE- not just amazon.

Giving nothing but 1 star ratings on amazon is not the way to go for this. This accomplishes nothing. Want to really send the publishers a message? Start a letter writing campaign and a petition. Don't buy the books. Don't even spend the money to get the hardbacks. If you absolutely must read the books, get them from the public library. You can send out as many 1 stars as you want but in the end that accomplishes nothing. The publisher might notice, but in the end it isn't going to change their mind about the pricing. Trust me, Penguin and the other publishers just roll their eyes and charging the same price.

Again, amazon has NOTHING to do with this price point.

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 1:08:13 PM PST
RubyRocks says:
Amazon tried, they really did. But again, this is the average industry pricing. Until the prices are reset for when the paperbacks get released, this is what you will find on any and all ebook retailers. It doesn't matter if you go to Barnes and Noble, Sony Reader, or some random Mom and Pop ebook store on the net. The $14.99 price is what is set everywhere on the internet. The only stores that offer it cheaper are the ones that are doing some pretty shady stuff and even then those stores are really hard to find.

Do I think ebooks in general should be cheaper? Yes. Am I going to blame amazon for the pricing forced upon them by the publisher? No. They have no say and trust me, they tried. They tried hard and if they'd pushed any harder they could have done some serious harm to the business. That's why I said that the only way to show your irritation with the publisher set pricing is to not buy any of the formats of the books they're releasing. You have to hit the publisher in their wallet.

Amazon would love to be able to sell every book at 9.99 or lower, but unless that book comes from a smaller or more liberal publisher or from their own kindle publishing company, they can't do that. They just can't. Even if Amazon were to give every penny of that 9.99 to the publishers, the publishers would still throw a fit because that's not the pricing they want set for the book. Again, Penguin yanked their contract. They're the ones responsible for the new pricing. Amazon fought them tooth and nail but in the end they had to choose between sticking to their fight and possibly doing irreparable harm to their business or giving in so they could keep their staff employed and ensure that the kindle readers would still be able to access all of the publishers out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2010 1:01:37 PM PST
C Will says:
I agree and have made this my policy since the average price for new books spiked to $13-$15. It's infuriating to know that I was a first generation Kindle owner and spent nearly $250 at that time (now retails for $140.) And when I want to read a new book by a favorite author I get no more than a $3-$6 discount off the hard cover version. Let's face it, we are not getting colorful covers killing trees to accommodate our reading needs. So, why in the world should we be charged as if we are???!! There is power in our numbers. I don't know which is worse, the ridiculous pricing or those publishers who want to delay a Kindle users access to the book when it is first released when granting the $9.99 price.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2011 6:40:31 PM PST
i agree,we dont have a hard copy so we should not pay the same price as one.

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 12:28:58 PM PDT
Whale Tart says:
But but but.....
I really want to get Birth Control is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and also Robbing God of Priesthood Children!! Eliyzabeth Yanne Strong-Anderson available from Amazon, it is too expensive in book format...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Oct 26, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 11, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Port Mortuary (A Scarpetta Novel)
Port Mortuary (A Scarpetta Novel) by Patricia Cornwell (Audio CD - November 30, 2010)
2.6 out of 5 stars   (833)