Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now bgg

on May 31, 2014
I knew this volume existed before I even considered reading it. I know that Zenescope releases a lot of these, and I had seen some of the artwork, as many of you may have as well – which mostly consists of a lot of overly sexy ladies in very little clothing. Be that as it may, I can handle a certain amount of that sort of thing, so I decided, despite the possible racy or erotic nature of this volume, I couldn’t exclude it from my list. Okay so I had prepared myself to see, every few pages, an image of some exaggerated female with her ass in my face. *ahem* I figured I’d snicker and move on, and then I’d review based on how laughable it was.

Guess what… Despite the images that are used in conjunction to advertise this comic series and serve as cover art…there was no nudity and no sex involved in the storyline at all! There are a few cover images from the comic shown in the book, and those have the half-naked women on them, but as far as this only being a T&A fest, it’s just not so, imo.

This story sort of teeters between the modern day real world and Neverland – sort of in the vein of Fables and Once Upon A Time. The main characters are Nathan Cross (also called Hook) and Wendy. Nathan is a down-on-his-luck man with a prosthetic hand, who suffers from psychological issues and regularly sees a therapist. Wendy is a grown woman with two nephews living with her, named John and Michael. Circumstances lead them to cross paths, and their adventures in a nightmarish Neverland ensue.

Peter Pan is a grown man (once a boy, who found Neverland and decided to stay). He took control of it, and Neverland has gradually become his world of nightmares. *ahem* He maintains his immortality by feeding on the souls of children that he snatches from the real world, but he doesn’t do it in order to stay youthful, only to stay alive (and for meanness).

Cross has a recurring dream where he’s on an island running for his life, a monstrous reptile chasing him. He can’t seem to shake it throughout his adult life. Turns out Nathan was the only one to survive Neverland – ever – but not without losing his hand to the crocodile beast that was chasing him. And that isn’t all he lost. His brother, Timmy, was not so lucky, and those things haunt him. Wendy, on the other hand, is only there by circumstance when her nephews are abducted by Pan, and he afterward fixates on her (for some reason) and decides he wants to seize her later and make her his queen (lame).

So, the basis of the plot has Cross facing his past as he helps Wendy try to rescue her nephews.
Other characters are featured, such as Tinker Bell and Tiger Lily, but honestly, they don’t do a lot. The crocodile also serves as a horrific foe. There are natives, mermaids, and some zombie-type Lost Boys. There are some guys on a ship…not sure if they were supposed to be pirates…

The artwork was alright, full color and certainly nice as far as that goes. I’m kinda picky and pretty much expect everything to be amazing… which is certainly not always the case in graphic novels, but if the art is prettier, I can accept a weaker storyline. This one didn’t quite do it for me. It’s not something I want to open up and look at, even without reading, just to see how pretty it is.

Three stars… maybe.

The story was actually pretty poor, I felt. I was interested in the concept, but it let me down. The motives of some of the characters were often absent or fell flat, and it simply could have been more exciting. The plot was extremely simple (though I think there is another spin-off or continuation of this series, which I will probably not delve into because this one didn’t impress me enough.) It didn’t blow my mind, but it was certainly along horror lines, and I appreciated the effort.
on January 2, 2012
I got this book for Christmas as a gift. It was a well done rendition of an adult version of Peter Pan. The drawing was fantastic as were the vivid colors used. The story did an excellent job of capturing some elements of mythology as well as the beloved childhood Peter Pan story.

This book is part of the Grimm Fairy Tales graphic novel universe, but works find as a stand alone story. Pan has found a way to live forever in Neverland. Back in our world children are mysteriously disappearing from their beds. Wendy gets involved when her two nephews go missing. Only one person can help her; Nathan Cross was kidnapped and taken to Neverland as a boy...he was the only one to escape back to our world. Nathan is a grown man and constantly medicated to protect him from his delusions. Now Wendy needs his help to cross back into Neverland, save her nephews, and stop Pan's evil reign.

The illustrations throughout are glossy, well finished, and colorful. The only thing that bothered me about them is the women are all drawn in a very overly sexy way...they are pretty much all shiny butts and huge gleaming breasts. If you can get around that fact, the drawing and backgrounds are very beautiful and well done. The overly sexy women didn't bother me a ton, but it did make me roll my eyes a lot.

This is a very dark, creative, and well done retelling of Peter Pan; more than a retelling it is kind of a continuation of the Pan story. Pan has gone evil and stayed in Neverland beyond his time. He is eating the life essence of children to sustain himself. All of the characters are well done. Nathan Cross was my favorite, he kind of turns into a cross between Captain Hook and Bruce Campbell from Evil Dead when he crosses into Neverland. Cross gets a very kick butt metal hook that has wonderful combative capabilities. Wendy stands well on her own as well.

This is definitely not a book for kids. There are some very heavy sexual overtones to the story and lots of gory combat. Still I really enjoyed the continuation of Peter Pan's story cast in an adult light. I thought the plot was very well put together and excellently told.

Overall a very entertaining continuation of Peter Pan's story. Excellent fight scenes, a wonderful plot that blends a little mythology and some fairy tale retelling. The illustrations are beautifully finished and colored; just beware this is one of those comics where all of the women are overly (almost laughably) sexy...there is no way these women could physically move around with the proportions they are given. Definitely a book for adults only, there is a dark sexual and violent overtone to a lot of the story. Still very creative and entertaining retelling; I enjoyed it and it made me want to read more by Brusha.
on May 30, 2015
The item is well made and I have found no issues with the book itself.

The content leaves, for me, a lot to be desired. It is probable that desire that made me want so much out of this story but I was left largely disappointed.

If you’re new or just beginning in comics/graphic novels medium, this is not a good place to start. If, on the other hand, you’re fairly seasoned and looking for something different in comics you’ll want to steer clear of Neverland also. While Zenescope’s Wonderland series is an exceptional applause for taking a different spin on a well known tale, here, Neverland falls into a trap of horrible clichés, unlikable characters, and not very likable overall.

It feels like it could have done better in a number of respects.
1. The therapist that shouldn’t have been. It just screamed contrived as he was the third wheel, or convenient character to connect Nathan Cross (Hook) and Wendy. He was the most cliché display of characterization and has no purpose or importance of being around in the whole story.
2. All eyes of Pan, who was excellent. Evil and powerful and he knew he had the goods. I felt the story would of have a lot more going for it if it focused on him as he was far interesting.
3. The 192 pages is the whole story, it feels rushed and the pacing will have you feel like you’re starting and stopping again. As in, I felt I was being gagged and dragged away from one scene as it was getting interesting to see something else.

Why to buy
Get it in a hardcover so maybe it can help prop up other books.

Why not to buy:
If the Wonderland series is the screaming, hurling roller coaster ride then Neverland is the ring toss. Cliché, predictable.
on December 10, 2014
I read this at work, and it's very good! A really dark version of "Peter Pan" where Pan is the bad guy who kidnaps children and gains evil powers from killing these kids, and Hook is actually a misunderstood good guy (but by a different name) who was once kidnapped by Pan 20 years ago, who ends up going back to Neverland. I love the graphic art, and (Tinker)Belle is still my favorite character in the story.
on August 6, 2013
I've always loved the story of Peter Pan and lately I've been trying to get my hands on every retelling out there. I thought that this would would be a nice twist to the already altered story because this is a graphic novel instead of a regular story. The summary was more than enough to gather my interest though I think the overall execution of the idea was nothing short of disappointing.

What the weak plot couldn't make me forget was the hyper sexualized images of every single female introduced into the story. Completely unnecessary, of course, and almost enough to make me put this down without finishing it. Knowing that the library I picked this up from had this in the YA section made it worse, too, because of the grossly disproportionate female bodies, accompanied by as little clothing as possible. It was disgusting. What makes it worse is knowing I like this comic book format but won't be able to enjoy it because of the way girls in general are portrayed. When Wendy is fighting for her life, the author even goes so far as to explain that the only reason she's effective is because she needs to save her kids. No explanations needed for the men who've never been in fights before, of course.

I really didn't like this book. Even getting over the images the plot was nothing unique. I've read evil Pan stories before and this one was more predictable than scary. At least in other tales where he feeds on the youth of children there are better characters and action, even if the plot is basically the same. Before reading this I considered getting other books, companions to this in the Grimm Fairy Tales Presents series, but I think I'll leave this art and this writing alone and try to find something much more enjoyable to spend my time on.
on October 16, 2013
If you like this line of graphic novels, you will thoroughly enjoy this story. The art is
fantastic. Bought this for my son,and preread it in one sitting.
on March 26, 2011
I am a huge fan of Peter Pan/Neverland. I have two copies of "Peter Pan" in book form, three DVDs (not including Hook and Finding Neverland), and even the only authorized sequel. So I saw this and had to read it.

Alert - over!sexy girls (not my favorite thing, and an obvious sign that the artists are guys) and pretty creepy themes. But that doesn't change the fact that this is an AMAZING reworking of the boy who will never grow up. Yes, it's dark. Yes, it's not the happy-go-lucky story you expect when you think of Neverland. But the depths of the story really make you think back to the old stories you read.

I am a fan of the Grimm Fairy Tales graphic novels. I don't like the over!sexy girls featured as I think they're bad images for teen girls this day and age. And the sexist images are what I hate about it. But I bought it for the story, and I wasn't disappointed.

To all Neverland fans - I dare you to read this and not be impressed. Get sucked in, and then immediately after (if you're prone to nightmares) go watch the Disney movie. :)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 2014
Happy with order.
on October 11, 2011
Ok, I will admit, I had no idea what this book was about when I started it. To be honest, I really didn't like it. The story made no sense to anyone who has read the original Peter Pan books. yes, I read comic books, I also like classical literature and modern fiction.) It seemed like it was all an excuse to draw women in very few clothes...and the story did not even make sense. The art they use for the covers (seen in the cover gallary in the back) has nothing to do with the storyline. I just really did not like this. Even the art in the books was just kind of so-so.

I have enjoyed some of the other grimms fairy tales graphic novels, because I love the old grimms fairy tales...but this just did not do anything for me. I would recomend checking it out from your local library before you spend money on it.
on April 25, 2011
I can not get enough of the Grimm Fairy Tales. Great visuals, storylines, and character development. Every twist in every graphic novel has me rivetted...I have purchased them all, so far, and will continue to do so as long as they maintain their edge