5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy successor
Neverwinter Nights 2 met my expectations, and in fact exceeded them.

First, the technical:

Published on April 20, 2008 by Desert Dweller

2.0 out of 5 stars Macbook users beware
Published on April 30, 2009 by T. Kuwabara

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy successor, April 20, 2008
This review is from: Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mac (Video Game)
Neverwinter Nights 2 met my expectations, and in fact exceeded them.

First, the technical:

I was a bit worried about the Mac version, given the reported technical issues when the PC version first came out, but the game performed very well. I kept expecting a problem, I did not experience a single crash or major flaw in the whole game. Not once. It performed better for me than NWN 1's latest version.

My machine is a 2.8G dual core Intel, 2G memory, 24 inch iMac, running Mac OS 10.4.11. The game never even slowed down, even with multiple characters in large battles, with all kinds of spell effects going simultaneously. Very impressive.

The game itself:

The graphics were beautiful. I didn't buy it for that reason, but I have to admit the graphic sure are pretty, and since they didn't slow down my machine, they certainly added to the atmosphere.

The camera controls took some getting used to, and in fact I had to set the sliders for scroll-speed, ect, to slow. However, once I got used to them, I no longer had to really think about it.

I found the story quite engaging. I have played NWN 1 with both of it's sequels (SoU and HotU), and I found this on par with those in terms of story-telling experience. There's plenty of interaction with your party NPCs, and new 'influence' system.

From a D&D standpoint they've made a few small changes, added a few classes, and fixed a few balance issues with Rangers (which many people had thought were underpowered previously).

Overall, I give it 5 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Macbook users beware, April 30, 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mac (Video Game)
I purchased this product after enjoying my experience with other Bioware games and hoping for a similar result. Tragically this seems to run in a pattern of Obsidian products, with glitches and crashing flaws. I own KOTR2 for my Xbox and was not pleased with the level of testing and correction done by Obsidian in that project. NWN2 seems like a fantastic story line, but if you have a macbook (I own a new generation, 2009 intel Macbook) it will freeze up or crash on you during the loading sequences. After some digging on the internet I found that the graphics cards in Macbooks are not supported for the game and this causes the crash. It would have been nice for those of us who are not savvy in technical computer specs to make this clear before purchasing. I thought it best to warn other Macbook owners before they waste their time and money on this product

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't work with Snow Leopard, November 15, 2009
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mac (Video Game)
Do you own a mac with Snow Leopard as your operating system? If the answer is yes, then DO NOT buy this game until you see that Aspyr has published a specific patch to fix the crashes that occur at transitions. Aspyr must now be well aware of the problems that exist running this game under 10.6 but have made not comment that I can find about fixing it. From what I can learn from the online community, a patch was rumored to be very close but then nothing. It doesn't matter how much fun the game is or how great the graphics are if the game won't let you move from one area to the next which it currently won't under Snow Leopard. This renders the game unplayable. Be wary of other reviews that are earlier than September '09 as these reviews are not relevant to Snow Leopard. I tried to run this game on a brand new Imac running Snow Leopard and it is unplayable. Every 10 days I search for a patch but nothing from Aspyr. Don't waste your money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Game; a few bugs, April 3, 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mac (Video Game)
I'm running NWN2 on a new 2.4GHz Intel Core Duo iMac with a 256MB ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO video card and 4GB of system memory. My machine should be more than adequate to run this game.

The graphics are gorgeous, and the use of D&D 3.5 rules is spot on. The game runs pretty well. I'm about halfway through with no crashes. My only nitpicks are that the video, every once and awhile, flakes out and the fills/textures flash neon intermittently. Also, on certain occasions (like a confrontation in Gith base) the character/bad guy interactions begin before they should be triggered (which forces you to skip to the next part and miss picking up loot). My biggest issue is that the camera/view angle, whether in top-down mode or over-the-character's-shoulder mode, isn't very smooth and if you get too near a structure, you can't see your character until you move away from that structure. In this regard, the game is much less player-friendly than the original NWN.

The story isn't as tight as it could be... there are some missing logic gaps in the plot line. But even with all those issues, this is still the best RPG on the market for Macs right now and well worth the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bob F., June 2, 2008
This review is from: Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mac (Video Game)
NeverWinter Nights 2 (Macintosh) ought to be a great game. It has all the elements--great graphics, an interesting story line, characters that actually change their alignments and personalities as the game progresses, fun challenges to overcome, etc. When it works, I love playing NWN2; unfortunately, it has so many computer glitches that--at times--I want to throw the darned disc away! For example, it has a MAJOR glitch concerning non-player characters (NPCs) that unexpectedly disappear from the game. Their player slot is replaced by an icon that looks like a shadow person walking into a cobwebbed cavern (I suppose "never to be heard from again"?). Once the icon appears in the character's slot you cannot access that character from that point forward.

This makes for a frustrating game because NPCs are essential to the unfolding of the story. The game is set up for you to complete "quests;" but if a character is missing that is integral to the completion of the quest, you are figuratively up the creek without a paddle! The only way around this dilemma is to go back to the last saved point in the game where the character exists and begin again from there. However, you must learn WHAT you did to create the glitch! Rather than spending hours blindly trying to figure out how to overcome the computer glitch, I suggest that you should sign on to the NWN2 quorum on the internet. There you can find all of the answers to the "known" problems.

Well, that's about it. In summary, it's a great game when it works but beware the unforeseen obstacles!

3.0 out of 5 stars Mildly entertaining, January 26, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mac (Video Game)
Ive thorouoghly enjoyed Baldurs gate, Icewind Dale and the first NWN. Have been playing NWN-2 for a few weeks and its OK. Story line is interesting but the quests are lacking in imagination and detail. Its also a little buggy, nothing serious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best RPG on the Market, similar to Morrowind, August 24, 2009
This review is from: Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mac (Video Game)
Basically if you are playing this on an IMac by yourself just to play the game it is a fantastic gaming experience that I would recommend to anyone. I will agree with other reviews that the LAN playability and Internet playability was low or weak, but the 1 player game mode or "story" mode was really amazing and I think that is what most people bought this for.

The graphics -- really show off what the MAC can do. Great cut scenes, cool battle scenes, good shadows, lighting, detail, etc.

D&D rules -- D20 works great and is a very reliable and simple system. NWN2 basically takes care of all this data for you (hiding it from you) for example during battles. I think was over level 25 at the end of the game. It is fun to be powerful and be rewarded throughout the game by "leveling." Many RPGs on the MAC are either fighting or story oriented, but this is both!

Weapons/Gear/Dungeons -- there was so much to explore and so many things to find in this game, you will not be disappointed.

Like Morrowind -- the world you have to explore is not quite as big and wide open as Morrowind but as far as things you can do with your character class, storyline, alignment, etc. It is comparable to Elder Scrolls (Morrowind).

3.0 out of 5 stars Some odd bugs in an otherwise great game, April 27, 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mac (Video Game)
The game play and graphics are terrific. Camera control is clunky and frustrating at times. There are some odd bugs--one character has disappeared. The travel screen, not the game's best feature anyway, reached a point where it would not let me travel to the right locations to complete quests. As a result, I've had to abandon a level 12 or so character to start over again. Documentation is thin and there don't seem to be walkthroughs available--at least I can't find them. Cut sequences are longer than they need to be and way too frequent. Wish it were possible to import characters from NWN to use in the game. The shifts in alignment good/evil, lawful/chaotic don't make much sense.

New spells are fun as are new weapons. Play is challenging. Graphics are well done. Soundtrack is interesting.

1.0 out of 5 stars Threw It Out, July 1, 2011
T. Godfrey "Godfrey Guitar" (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mac (Video Game)
I played the original NWN and the expansion pack and loved them both. This game would probably have been great, too, if it had actually worked on my Mac. Like other users, I discovered the hard way that it is highly incompatible with Snow Leopard. The game often crashes when transitioning from one area to another. That was annoying, but I enjoyed the game enough that I simply saved every 5 seconds. The final straw was disappearing henchmen. One of the fighter NPCs in my party disappeared forever...just...poof! Gone! That was it. I'd had enough.

Maybe the next NWN game will work flawlessly on Mac, but I'll never know, because Aspyr isn't getting another dime from me.

3.0 out of 5 stars System Requirements????, September 11, 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
7-11-08
There are no system requirements on this listing. I REALLY wanted to play this game but can't! Very frustrating!
The min requirements are:

* Video Card (ATI): Radeon X1600
* Video Card (NVidia): Geforce 7600
* Video Memory (VRam): 128 MB
* Media Required: DVD-ROM

So if you have one of the original 1.83GHz macs from 2006 it will not work right!!!
The game bogs and the sound disappears after about 30 min of play. quit and relaunch fixes the problem but that is no way to play a game! Total bummer!

update 9-11-08
I do not know what happened to all the reviews that were here. There were originally over 20 reviews. They are all gone now. Most were not glowing. I save all of mine so I am reposting.

I have since had a chance to play this on a machine in spec. It was OK. The new camera control is AWFUL! It makes the whole game tedious. I do not understand why they changed it from the original NWN. Did it seem broken to you? Me either. They also removed the ability to see elements of the game that you could interact with by holding down the tab button. In the original NWN when you hold down the tab, things would glow if you could pick them up or toggle ect. It made the game flow wonderfully. now you are moving you mouse around hunting for the "Hotspots" again very tedious. These 2 problems make the re-playability of the game unlikely. I do not even want to finish it a first time.

In my opinion all they needed to change in the interface was to add another set of quick keys that could be accessed by holding shift/control. Everything else was fine.

I have replayed all of the original NWN modules several times taking different paths each time. I'll be lucky if I finish this one at all.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mac
Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mac by Aspyr Media (Mac, Mac OS X)
Used & New from: $26.99