Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now

Platform: Mac|Edition: Standard|Change
Price:$99.95 - $149.99

on April 20, 2008
Neverwinter Nights 2 met my expectations, and in fact exceeded them.

First, the technical:

I was a bit worried about the Mac version, given the reported technical issues when the PC version first came out, but the game performed very well. I kept expecting a problem, I did not experience a single crash or major flaw in the whole game. Not once. It performed better for me than NWN 1's latest version.

My machine is a 2.8G dual core Intel, 2G memory, 24 inch iMac, running Mac OS 10.4.11. The game never even slowed down, even with multiple characters in large battles, with all kinds of spell effects going simultaneously. Very impressive.

The game itself:

The graphics were beautiful. I didn't buy it for that reason, but I have to admit the graphic sure are pretty, and since they didn't slow down my machine, they certainly added to the atmosphere.

The camera controls took some getting used to, and in fact I had to set the sliders for scroll-speed, ect, to slow. However, once I got used to them, I no longer had to really think about it.

I found the story quite engaging. I have played NWN 1 with both of it's sequels (SoU and HotU), and I found this on par with those in terms of story-telling experience. There's plenty of interaction with your party NPCs, and new 'influence' system.

From a D&D standpoint they've made a few small changes, added a few classes, and fixed a few balance issues with Rangers (which many people had thought were underpowered previously).

Overall, I give it 5 stars.
on April 30, 2009
I purchased this product after enjoying my experience with other Bioware games and hoping for a similar result. Tragically this seems to run in a pattern of Obsidian products, with glitches and crashing flaws. I own KOTR2 for my Xbox and was not pleased with the level of testing and correction done by Obsidian in that project. NWN2 seems like a fantastic story line, but if you have a macbook (I own a new generation, 2009 intel Macbook) it will freeze up or crash on you during the loading sequences. After some digging on the internet I found that the graphics cards in Macbooks are not supported for the game and this causes the crash. It would have been nice for those of us who are not savvy in technical computer specs to make this clear before purchasing. I thought it best to warn other Macbook owners before they waste their time and money on this product
on November 15, 2009
Do you own a mac with Snow Leopard as your operating system? If the answer is yes, then DO NOT buy this game until you see that Aspyr has published a specific patch to fix the crashes that occur at transitions. Aspyr must now be well aware of the problems that exist running this game under 10.6 but have made not comment that I can find about fixing it. From what I can learn from the online community, a patch was rumored to be very close but then nothing. It doesn't matter how much fun the game is or how great the graphics are if the game won't let you move from one area to the next which it currently won't under Snow Leopard. This renders the game unplayable. Be wary of other reviews that are earlier than September '09 as these reviews are not relevant to Snow Leopard. I tried to run this game on a brand new Imac running Snow Leopard and it is unplayable. Every 10 days I search for a patch but nothing from Aspyr. Don't waste your money.
on April 3, 2008
I'm running NWN2 on a new 2.4GHz Intel Core Duo iMac with a 256MB ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO video card and 4GB of system memory. My machine should be more than adequate to run this game.

The graphics are gorgeous, and the use of D&D 3.5 rules is spot on. The game runs pretty well. I'm about halfway through with no crashes. My only nitpicks are that the video, every once and awhile, flakes out and the fills/textures flash neon intermittently. Also, on certain occasions (like a confrontation in Gith base) the character/bad guy interactions begin before they should be triggered (which forces you to skip to the next part and miss picking up loot). My biggest issue is that the camera/view angle, whether in top-down mode or over-the-character's-shoulder mode, isn't very smooth and if you get too near a structure, you can't see your character until you move away from that structure. In this regard, the game is much less player-friendly than the original NWN.

The story isn't as tight as it could be... there are some missing logic gaps in the plot line. But even with all those issues, this is still the best RPG on the market for Macs right now and well worth the money.
on July 1, 2011
I played the original NWN and the expansion pack and loved them both. This game would probably have been great, too, if it had actually worked on my Mac. Like other users, I discovered the hard way that it is highly incompatible with Snow Leopard. The game often crashes when transitioning from one area to another. That was annoying, but I enjoyed the game enough that I simply saved every 5 seconds. The final straw was disappearing henchmen. One of the fighter NPCs in my party disappeared forever...just...poof! Gone! That was it. I'd had enough.

Maybe the next NWN game will work flawlessly on Mac, but I'll never know, because Aspyr isn't getting another dime from me.
on June 2, 2008
NeverWinter Nights 2 (Macintosh) ought to be a great game. It has all the elements--great graphics, an interesting story line, characters that actually change their alignments and personalities as the game progresses, fun challenges to overcome, etc. When it works, I love playing NWN2; unfortunately, it has so many computer glitches that--at times--I want to throw the darned disc away! For example, it has a MAJOR glitch concerning non-player characters (NPCs) that unexpectedly disappear from the game. Their player slot is replaced by an icon that looks like a shadow person walking into a cobwebbed cavern (I suppose "never to be heard from again"?). Once the icon appears in the character's slot you cannot access that character from that point forward.

This makes for a frustrating game because NPCs are essential to the unfolding of the story. The game is set up for you to complete "quests;" but if a character is missing that is integral to the completion of the quest, you are figuratively up the creek without a paddle! The only way around this dilemma is to go back to the last saved point in the game where the character exists and begin again from there. However, you must learn WHAT you did to create the glitch! Rather than spending hours blindly trying to figure out how to overcome the computer glitch, I suggest that you should sign on to the NWN2 quorum on the internet. There you can find all of the answers to the "known" problems.

Well, that's about it. In summary, it's a great game when it works but beware the unforeseen obstacles!
on January 26, 2010
Ive thorouoghly enjoyed Baldurs gate, Icewind Dale and the first NWN. Have been playing NWN-2 for a few weeks and its OK. Story line is interesting but the quests are lacking in imagination and detail. Its also a little buggy, nothing serious.
on August 24, 2009
Basically if you are playing this on an IMac by yourself just to play the game it is a fantastic gaming experience that I would recommend to anyone. I will agree with other reviews that the LAN playability and Internet playability was low or weak, but the 1 player game mode or "story" mode was really amazing and I think that is what most people bought this for.

The graphics -- really show off what the MAC can do. Great cut scenes, cool battle scenes, good shadows, lighting, detail, etc.

D&D rules -- D20 works great and is a very reliable and simple system. NWN2 basically takes care of all this data for you (hiding it from you) for example during battles. I think was over level 25 at the end of the game. It is fun to be powerful and be rewarded throughout the game by "leveling." Many RPGs on the MAC are either fighting or story oriented, but this is both!

Weapons/Gear/Dungeons -- there was so much to explore and so many things to find in this game, you will not be disappointed.

Like Morrowind -- the world you have to explore is not quite as big and wide open as Morrowind but as far as things you can do with your character class, storyline, alignment, etc. It is comparable to Elder Scrolls (Morrowind).
on August 28, 2011
I have had zero glitches, freezes, or other technical problems playing this game on a 2006 iMac with 2 GB of RAM using either Leopard or Snow Leopard. Admittedly I haven't played this game much, but so far it's played fine on both operating systems.

Sadly the game leaves a lot to be desired compared to the first Neverwinter Nights. I haven't played enough to be able to comment on the story or how well it works later in the game controlling several characters. I've only played through the first couple of hours and was really frustrated by the controls. In Neverwinter Nights 1 I moved the mouse cursor to the edge of the screen to move both the camera and my character. That method worked just fine for me. In NWN2 I have to move the character with the keyboard, and changing the camera view with the mouse makes the view turn way too fast for proper play. If I could only find an easier way to use the controls this could be a 4 or 5 star game.
on April 27, 2008
The game play and graphics are terrific. Camera control is clunky and frustrating at times. There are some odd bugs--one character has disappeared. The travel screen, not the game's best feature anyway, reached a point where it would not let me travel to the right locations to complete quests. As a result, I've had to abandon a level 12 or so character to start over again. Documentation is thin and there don't seem to be walkthroughs available--at least I can't find them. Cut sequences are longer than they need to be and way too frequent. Wish it were possible to import characters from NWN to use in the game. The shifts in alignment good/evil, lawful/chaotic don't make much sense.

New spells are fun as are new weapons. Play is challenging. Graphics are well done. Soundtrack is interesting.

See 1 answered question