5.0 out of 5 stars Super for Trail or Neutral Running
Published 18 months ago by Birdman

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable shoe for short distances.
Published 12 months ago by Ed Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Super for Trail or Neutral Running, April 30, 2013
Birdman (Minnetonka, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Balance Men's M1080v3 Neutral Running Shoe (Shoes)
This is one of New Balance's most durably-constructed shoes, and is suitable for the trail or track. While the arch is not pronounced, it slopes gradually so that many who automatically insert orthotics, should try the insole as-is before replacing them. While many New Balance lasts on recent runners have narrowed, and though some have run short on length, the 1080 v3 runs true-to-size and fits like a good, old-fashioned NB shoe. If you normally wear a 10.5 in most running shoes, you'll probably run the same here, although the luxury of a 2E or 4E width will add comfort for some end-users.

The New Balance site has a reliable size calculator to help customers predict sizing more reliably if a brick-and-mortar shop isn't available to try a pair.

I personally find the orange-and-blue pattern stylish out-of-the-box, with the blue far deeper than it appears in photographs. Laces are ample, and there is more than enough room for a marathon tie if you need the grommets and lace-length.

Best of all, New Balance really leads the pack in customer service. In fact no other company even comes close. While they may cost a few bucks more, higher-end NB's are largely made here and in the UK, and I feel good about that given the nation's economic climate.

I abandoned this brand for a few years because their sizing had become so unpredictable, and because so many last-options left too many seasoned customers frustrated and angry. I think the company has turned 'round and made an effort to clarify and guarantee accurate sizing. I also find this particular shoe among the most durably built athletic shoes I've ever seen.

While I use mine primarily for hiking and trail-running, runners and casual wearers needn't hesitate. NB is back for the long haul, and this shoe is evidence of that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lightweight Shoe; Perfect For Longer Runs, April 27, 2013
The New Balance Men's M1080v3 is a great shoe for runners with neutral feet. They are fairly flat and I found I needed a bit more arch support, so I did buy a different set of inserts for them, though I ran a few times in the unaltered factory-fresh shoes and found them comfortable without noticeable hot spots or annoying seams. These shoes are great for longer runs: they are light, comfortable, and are nicely padded: I particularly like the foam padding on the collar.

The aesthetics of the shoe are a matter of personal preference: I think they are fine if a bit bland (bear in mind I normally run in ASICS Gel Noosa's) but color combinations are secondary for most serious runners. I'm 6'2" and about 200 lbs., so I'm pretty hard on shoes (I run about 25 miles weekly right now); I have had good luck with the durability of previous New Balance products, though I have been mostly an ASICS runner for a few years, so I am unsure how the materials in these shoes will hold up especially given their light weight.

The bottom line is that the M1080v3's are comfortable, light, and well-made, and are an excellent choice for distance runners. I recommend them without hesitation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable shoe for short distances., October 19, 2013
I liked the styling of these shoes and initially they were quite comfortable. But after several miles in the shoes I could not wait to take them off. The reason is the stitching around the big toe. The seam runs across the middle of the big toe and with increased distance chafes and irritates the toe. I am not sure, but it might be possible the shoe was not long enough, but the width seemed fine. Also this is supposedly a neutral balance shoe, but somehow there was somewhat of an unbalanced feel while striding.

5.0 out of 5 stars just getting better and better, July 31, 2013
I have bought the whole range starting with the 1063 I think.
These shoes get better and better.
Even for me, 200+ pounds and between 20 and 30 miles a week , these shoes have it all.
I have the 2 EE's.
You wanna run in comfort..get some!

5.0 out of 5 stars First time LOVE for a New Balance trainer, August 13, 2013
This review is from: New Balance Men's M1080v3 Neutral Running Shoe (Shoes)
As a bit of a shoe dork, I love love love the technology that this shoe provides for the weight. At a hair over 10oz, this is one badass shoe and COMPLETELY unexpected for a NB whose typical non-minimalistic trainers have a reputation of being a bit heavy. I have been looking for a go to trainer for years, and have bounced between most of the major brands and may have honestly found a home here

I knew when I put these on at the store, things were going to work. I did a 16x200 track workout in these right OUT OF THE BOX.

Second run out of the box did 3.5 mile fast session and was quite pleased with transition from gravel to grass to road. The redesign on the tread in the forefoot feels awesome. The rear cushioning is neutral and offers a seamless transition from midheel to forefoot.

I like that this one sits right in the middle of my stable of shoes in terms of weight, drop and cushioning, and feel fantastically racey for a daily trainer. I typically always rotate through 3-4 pairs, and right now run with Asics GT-2000, Saucony Cortana 2s, and just retired some Kinvara 2s for these.

I like the option of having these in widths. Feeling a tad narrow in the size 10 standard Width, I opted for a bit more width in the 2E to handle my orthotics if I felt the need for additional support on longer runs. Thats a nice option.

I have to admit I am struggling with totally selling out to minimalist, and have dabbled up and down in the past year with shoes from 6mm up to a more traditional 12.3. These hitting at around 11m heel to toe dont feel like it at all. I RACED with some of the NB 750v2s at 9.45oz and they have less technology, very little cusioning with a 12mm drop!!! Thats insane. You get more tech, more cushioning with less drop, for a mere .35 oz penalty. That is insane.

To make a long story short, I don't want to actively FEEL anything in a shoe. If I am running I want the only feedback to be my body response to the running, not the equipment. I dont want to feel the shoe roll, I dont want to feel each pebble through the forefoot, I don't want to feel a twinge in my knee when running with a certain shoe, or have a toe bleeding because the forefoot is too narrow. I want neutral feedback and overall I FEEL nothing but fast in these shoes. In fact, I am considering racing in them this weekend.

I probably have an annoyance about almost EVERY one of my shoes for one reason or the other, but the only ones I have on this one are PETTY.

CONS:
-Would have liked to have seen a bit more arch padding in the insert
-Not a HUGE fan of the green on the red color option, but can live with it

Although these are on the mid-high range for pricing, these are very competitively priced for the shoe you get here, and especially if you have the opportunity to grab these on a promotion or a deal... grab them and run.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect shoe for me at a great price!, February 14, 2014
Richard C. Nemanick "nemanick" (St. Louis, MO United States) - See all my reviews
It is hard to review running shoes, since every runner is different. I typically run 50-75 miles a month and at least two half marathons a year. I buy a new pair of shoes twice a year.
I came across the 1080 several years ago as I was training for my second half marathon. My prior shoes were stability shoes that were a little smaller, and they gave me problems with one hip and one knee. The New Blance folks put me into the first version of the 1080s, and they were a dream. I bought that model for 2 ˝ years until they came out with 1080v2. That model was terrible, and gave me new problems with my feet. I upgraded to the 1080v3 when it came out six months later and had a better experience.
I went to a physical therapist to have my lingering injury from the 1080v2 treated, and they suggested a stability shoe. I tried a pair of Brooks shoes that were way too expensive and gave me different problems with my feet. I ditched them and bought my current pair of 1080v3 shoes, and I am training for the Spring half marathon in Saint Louis with no problems.
New Balance has discontinued this shoe, introducing the 1080v4. I haven't tried them yet (after my bad experiences with the 1080v2), so I stocked up on the 1080v3 (I bought four pairs) since they are awesome and the price is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my second pair, January 8, 2014
And I will definitely get more. I tried a different New Balance shoe, the 890, before reordering the 1080. The 890 did not work at all for me, while the 1080s are like little puffy clouds that carry me around effortlessly. I am a huge fan of these shoes.

5.0 out of 5 stars after re-size, very happy, December 19, 2013
Despite cushioning, still lightweight and great feel. Originally ordered 8.5 which is my typical New Balance size. I guess this shoe runs small? A 9 fit perfectly (I am an 8.5 in most all other shoes). Great colors.

4.0 out of 5 stars ok, honest review after 20 miles..., July 7, 2014
Profile:

High arch, slight pronator, neutral runner who runs 16-20miles/week

So, I've been running on 680 V2 for a while, and I was so used to the plush ride of 680 v2. So, first 8 miles or so was rather stiff for my liking on 1080 v3. But today, it finally felt better. After 20+ miles of running, the shoes feels broken in, and it honestly felt better on my feet with slightly less cushion but much better support throughout than 680 V2. I'd say, this is definitely a better performance shoes. Also, I am not experiencing any pain on my feet, calf or knee area. Cushions around the heel area is adequate for short to long distance running. Initially I felt the hot spots around forefoot area, but it is gone now. Overall, it is a great shoes, but I think I will rotate with 680 v2 for sometime, and I will provide updated review as I increase the miles on 1080 v3.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Balance Guy, July 29, 2014
D. Dahlbeck "Tappah" (Dorchester, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I have never been a runner, but I keep claiming I want to start. I have always liked the fit of New Balance and someone suggested I try these. They fit very true and they are light, but not so light that they feel like you are going to break through them at any moment. In my limited experiences using these on a treadmill, they felt good on my feet. I have also worn them at work, standing in one spot on a mat for five hours at a time and my feet did not get that tired feeling they get with lesser quality shoes.

I think I am just a New Balance Guy.

New Balance Men's M1080v3 Neutral Running Shoe