Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on May 10, 2014
I've been solely with New Balance for the last 20 years because they have a good selection of shoes in 4E width. I was running out of running shoes (I stock up when I find something that I like) and dropped by the local New Balance Factory Outlet store and found two pairs of the M1290NV shoes in my size and they felt great in the store so I bought them and found that they are great for running. They have better cushioning than any other running shoe that I've tried so I'd guess that there's new tech in them. As far as sizing goes, and this is New Balance in general, it's best to try them out in a store because some shoes run wide, narrow, high overall, big toe-box, etc.

I run about four miles per day and have about 150 miles on a pair of these.

Update: July 6, 2014. I have 395 miles on one pair and most of the cushioning is still there (I have an almost new pair to compare it with). There is some wear on the bottom, outer heel where there is a notch, probably for gripping the ground off the heel. I think that there would be less wear without the notch. My guess is that I'll get about another 150 miles out of these shoes before that gets worn down. When that happens, I'll just use them as street shoes. I got about 360 miles out of my previous running shoes so these are more durable that what I was using before.

Update: July 23, 2014. I have 457 miles on one pair and there's a big difference now between the cushioning on these and a new pair so it's time to break out a new pair and retire the old ones. I think that these are good for 400-450 miles overall which is better than what I'm used to.
55 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 24, 2013
Had the shoes for 3 months and average of 4 miles of daily walking. The sole is worn out already. Given the price of the shoes, I would expect the shoes to last longer. I have been wearing NB shoes for many years and this is the first time of experiencing poor product quality.
on November 18, 2013
I've bought lots of New Balance shoes over the years, but these are really great.

PROS:
1) Light and comfortable.
2) I've had achille's tendon problems in the past -- these are fine -- no soreness.
3) Come in wide size!

CONS:
1) Color is a little more light "pink" than what you see in the picture. Would have liked a more vibrant color.
VINE VOICEon May 8, 2013
Pro 1 Fit is superb with outstanding feel. I require an excellent heel-cup and a stable counter.
Pro 2 Construction -- still early in my use, but I can see that it is better constructed than several Nikes and NB's I've been using of late.
Pro 3 Weight - Medium weight compared to others, but very light relative to the strength of construction.

Con 1 Laces - Don't like them. Seem somewhat "wirey". Will replace if I can match color, otherwise I'll get used to it or just live with it.
on September 12, 2013
On time delivery, visibly superior (US) workmanship and very comfortable shoes. I'm looking forward to start using them this weekend. They are very light, but well cushioned and flexible (good attributes for underpronators). I highly recommend them.

Update - after owning these shoes for one month, I am still impressed. I use them to walk or run on asphalt surfaces. There is no wear. There is good reinforcement on the outer sole - especially in the heel. Despite their light weight, these shoes have excellent cushioning and bounce to them - to the extent that I've actually seen better walk and run times(3-5 mins for a 5 mile distance). It's important to know your whether you under or overpronate. These shoes are for underpronators or neutral runnners. I learned this with a previous pair of running shoes from another manufacturer which was advertised as neutral, but actually seemed like motion control shoes for overpronators. I experienced discomfort and running in them was uncomfortable and actually slowed me down. These 1290's are great running shoes!
on November 18, 2012
I bought these to replace the a pair of 1064s that I had finally killed. I've been very happy with them after a couple of weeks. They're very, very light and I'm pretty happy with the amount of support. I was worried they were too plush the first time I took them out, but pulling the laces quite snug keeps my feet in place without discomfort. They fit true to size and have plenty of room in the toebox without feeling cavernous. Quite comfortable over time and I feel like they put a bit of a spring in my step compared to the shoes they're replacing.

They're very much a conventional running shoe, which caught me somewhat by surprise. When I bought them, there was literally no information available anywhere online about the type of shoe or its characteristics. No amazon reviews, nothing beyond "made in USA" and "lightweight" in the description, not even anything on the actual New Balance site. While they're clearly not minimalists or barefoot running shoes, for some reason I had managed to expect they'd be conceptually similar to shoes like the 1080v2, with a reduced profile and smaller drop compared to their predecessor models. Not so. They somehow manage to be somewhat bulky, despite being so light. It's my own fault for making assumptions when buying sight unseen, I know, but the conspicuous absence of any relevant product details was a negative factor in my decision to buy and caused me to have a few second thoughts when I opened the box. Ultimately, an excellent shoe.
on August 21, 2013
These shoes are light, comfortable, and seem true to size. . The quality seems good. They are attractive. Even my pre-teen son likes them. They are also the best price I have found on a running shoe that is made in the USA. Consumers do have USA made choices for almost every item they purchase. Sometimes it takes some searching to find a domestic made product and yes, generally you have to pay a few dollars more. But that is a small inconvenience to support manufacturing jobs here in our country.

I may order another pair of these while they are available at a low price.
on June 14, 2014
Okay, let's start with the fact that there should be a manditory description length,-- a useful length on Amazon. then we can talk about the "last" of this shoe. I'm an "SL2" wide foot with a high arch. and I ordered a 4E. the length was fine for me, as expected and desired. but, no way was this shoe deep enough, or wide enough. The seller did not include the style, or say that it was a narrow to medium width with minimal potential via the width choices. Truth huh? They were very quick to give my refund (for which I'm thankful). these shoes look well made, and I'd have had to have them in a 6E or 8E :) to fit. You'll like the 810's as long as they are available. I bought the 1210 instead. they are a little wider, not really wide, but without any "pointed toe" shape to them (what it's a cowboy shoe?)I miss the 882, and the 1210 are as comfortable, though less rugged than these 1290's. I didn't see any major advantage over the 810 or 812, though it might be in the technology. but, for wide feet NB is still a good choice. Are mamma's binding their boys feet now? What is the nature of the less wide foot trend?
well made, well cushioned, if you are a thin to medium foot get them, good price at $70.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 6, 2013
These fit just as expected and are high quality, they are finished perfectly and are extremely comfortable. They have excellent ventilation and traction.

I've bought NB for over 20 years and these are so good for my feet I bought a second pair 8 weeks later. After 6 months they still look like new but I alternate and I'm not wearing them all the time. Recommended.
on December 17, 2014
These shoes were advertised as "white/blue". They are gray as gray comes - not white at all. They also have a cheap look. There is a neon orange stamp on them in a couple of places that is downright ugly. I would have sent them back, but my husband said they felt as good as his other New Balance shoes and he didn't really care how they looked. For the price we paid, I guess they're okay. It is more important that they fit comfortably and in that regard, they live up to the New Balance name.