Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: 11 D(M) US|Color: Black|Change
Price:$129.99 - $159.95

on February 18, 2013
Lot of complaints about NB1540 can be traced to buyers assuming the 1540 has the same fit as the 1123. If you consult "Shoe Fitter" via a link from the NB1540 page, it indicates the 1540 runs 1/2 size smaller than the 1123. While this change may have been kinda dumb on NB's part, the fact remains that buyers should NEVER assume a new model will fit the same as the model it replaces.
on July 6, 2012
I need a straight last shoe since I have fallen arches and have had a lot of broken bones all over including my feet. Nike stopped making such shoes some years ago and I turned to New Balance and have not looked back since. I have worn 1123 (and whatever similar number preceded those) for years, and longed for an edition in black that I could use for semi-casual wear. When NB made this replacement in black I was among the first to get them; I had put in a pre-order with NB.

I appreciate that the 1540's are lighter and stronger than the 1123's. However, as others here have noted, the box has less mesh and more solid structure, so it fits differently. My small toes kept rubbing and blistering; the 2E width was fine; it is the shoe. I called NB and returned them for another pair, but they all have the same defects. The seam inside now crosses the toes, and it is too rough, causing this problem. I finally took a file and smoothed it out, and also have now covered the seam with a small patch of Moleskin padding -- a hint from my wife who was a ballet dancer. This works absolutely fine now, but WHY!? WHY should I have to do this for a fairly expensive running shoe; this should be fixed at the factory! NB has dropped the ball here. NB Customer Service kept telling me why they designed the toe box to be more sturdy, instead of addressing the actual problems with the shoe -- shame on them.
22 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2013
I've been wearing New Balance exclusively the 1120 series since I was diagnosed with planta fasciitis 25 years ago. I've been through 18 pairs, the last being the 1123's. The 1540 is a very poor replacement. The tongue is too short for the laces, the sole is stiff, and they just aren't comfortable. I normally wear a 10 1/2 but ordered 11's due to the comment. Yes they do run small.
If this is the future of NB, I'm looking for another manufacturer.
on August 6, 2013
Arrived July 26, 2013; laced up and put them on - first
impression "very comfortable!" The reviews were correct,
I ordered ½ size larger and the length-fit is perfect. Also,
toebox area generous and comfortable; heel is narrow and
perfect for my build. Finally! It feels like my feet are getting
the arch support needed in a shoe that fits perfectly. Now
- need to see how long they last at that price (very expensive).

Update: The first couple of days wearing these shoes, my left 'middle' toe was a bit sore
that night. This feeling went away quite soon. Am still concerned if they will last because
I've tried New Balance before and the shoe tried didn't last very long -- about 6 months.
All-in-all, I'm very optimistic that these are "the shoes" I need.

Do get 1/2 size larger than you normally wear in these shoes!
on January 27, 2013
If this shoe fits you, then it's probably an excellent shoe. But it is supposed to replace the 1123. If you have very wide feet (6E) the old1123 was possibly the best shoe of all time. I went through 2 pair of the 1123s every year for as log as they were available. When it was announced that they were to be discontinued, I stocked up with 3 pair. Should have bought 6 pair.

The new 1540s, in size 11-6E are terrible. After 4 hours, my feet hurt. I could wear the older 1123s (11-6E) all day and all night without a thought.

If you want a true 6-E width, look elsewhere. If you are average or only slightly wider than average, you should be fine with this model.

To New Balance; The 1123s must have had a strong following. Please bring them back... and you can put me down for several pair.
on December 30, 2011
The only sneaker that has worked for me was the 1123 (the model that the 1540 is replacing) until this came around. I wear 3/4" custom orthotics in my shoes because of a leg length discrepancy, and this shoe accommodates them well. The 1123 is ugly, but I was going to order it again until I found that my size is no longer available. The 1540 seems to be very similar in design to the 1123 but it is available in black. Thank god that it is available in black, because in any other color these shoes would look 'special'. The 1540 seems a tad shorter than the 1123 in the same size, but I still fit. For anyone that is not familiar, this shoe is best for people who require a lot of support. I don't know if I would wear it for running, but I don't run any more anyways. I use them for the gym, working out, elliptical, etc.. The good thing about this pair in black is that I can wear them with jeans and they won't look funny. I expect this pair to last for a very long time, because the 1123 outlasted any pair of sneakers that I ever wore. It is upsetting that I will have to pay $20-$30 more for these but it is worth it to be able to get them in black. Totally inconspicuous.
on January 10, 2013
This New Balance 1540 is a rock solid walking shoe for me. Along with my custom orthotics, it more than handles my various biomechanical issues. It enables me to walk every day for 5 to 6 miles. I have tried many other makes/models of shoes, but this is the best for me. (I still wish New Balance would start reissuing their 1123, the predecessor to the 1540. The 1123, for me, is even better than the 1540.) I can't imagine using any other walking shoe.
on March 1, 2012
After several tries, I finally found the right pair of New Balance shoes for my unique feet. These are just about perfect, no pinching/numbing etc. Kind of pricey, but Amazon still had the best deal, and they took back they ones that didn't fit.Happy customer
on January 25, 2013
Was excited to get my dad black shoes ever since the podiatrist recommended the 1123. These ran tighter than 1123 and my dad developed painful blisters.
on September 27, 2012
I have worn the New Balance 1123 for years. Loved it. The replacement shoe, New Balance 1540, is not as comfortable and not as supportive as the 1123. And the shoe does not appear to hold up as well. I wear a 4E so I will probably stick with New Balance, but with an older model that uses the older technology.