Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on October 18, 2012
Shoe fits well. I have moved to NB some time ago due to the wide widths available, their durability and pricing. I used NB 411 on the 2200 mile Appalachian trail hike this year. They performed well and withstood the wicked rocks of Pennsylvania. I am soon off for a 3 month stay in Nepal and decided to upgrade to this hiking shoe for the several treks I intend to do.

******************
Follow Up: I have maybe 250 miles on the shoes. Upper is still in great shape, interior showing some wear holes. Biggest problem is the Vibram sole is starting to delaminate from the show bottom.
0Comment12 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2013
Bought these after doing a good bit of research and talking with some long distance hikers. Generally the shoes run a bit small so I ordered 1/2 bigger than normal and they fit great. Have worn them a few times and they feel good and I anticipate many miles of comfortable hiking.

Happy Trails!
on April 12, 2013
These are a versatile pair of shoes, good for casual wear and for office wear too. After reading other reviews, I thought they might be too small, or that the toe box would be too small, but they fit fine. I ordered my regular size. They fit firmly but not too tight, and the toe box is about as roomy as any previous New Balance shoes I've bought.
on January 11, 2013
The stitching around the toes in the left and right shoe I received is slightly different, effectively making the right shoe about half a size smaller than the left. It took a few days to really notice the problem, but it's enough to be quite annoying now that I'm aware of it. I'm just hoping the left shoe stretches a little as I wear it, making the problem less noticeable.
on October 24, 2013
At first these shoes felt a bit weird when I started walking around, especially on hard surfaces. The shoe fit (mine 10 4E) was as suspected and the materials were soft enough to make a fit good. The Vibram soles took a bit off getting use to. These shoes have a pretty aggressive tread pattern being more like cleats, not odd large shaped flats area triangles. So at first I spent most of the breaking in period on hard surfaces: i.e. concrete, asphalt, brick pavers. Then as I had a chance to get on natural ground, I realized the design of the soles. These puppies give a really solid feel when on the ground, very stable sure feel when you put your foot down you no you've planted your foot. Overall these will make great outdoor shoes. Wore them all day and felt like they part of my foot, didn't really want to take them off.
on May 1, 2013
I'd previously ordered a pair of the MO689 NB shoes. And although the reviews of inconsistent sizing were accurate, they worked out OK. I now wanted something with a Vibram sole so I tried these. They were ordered a half size larger as the MO689's were bordering on too short as compared to my other shoes of the same size.

Ordering these a half size larger solved the fit issue. However, after walking just a few blocks, the top of the 2nd joint of my big toe was rubbed raw and through the skin by the interior irregularity below the stitching. There's a lump right where the shoe interior contacts the high point of the toe joint. In fact, the interior top cushioning is inadequate throughout compared of the NB MO689. So they're being returned.
on October 15, 2012
Light, Comfortable and feels real durable. The Vibram sole is tough and does well on rocks. The sides have nylon and reinforced by leather.
on November 18, 2013
Accurate size, 8/10 comfortability, can take a lot of abuse. My only complaint is I tie my shoes rather tight and the tongue isn't quite wide enough so i get some stress points on the left and right of it
on May 18, 2013
I fell in love with the MO889 the first time I tried them...but for the fact that this style naturally runs one size too small so order one size up when trying this shoe. The width is a completely different story. The first two pair I bought 4E were fine, as they should be. The next two pair were definitely NOT a 4E width though they are marked a such. There seems to be no consistency in sizes adn widths ever since NB became a shoe no longer manufactured in the United States. That's really too bad as it's bringing my complaintes up and my trust down in how they fit.
on April 19, 2013
I'm a big fan of New Balance shoes. I have owned several pairs - all wide, 2E, but mostly 4E. However, when it comes to the multi-sport / hiking line of NB shoes, I cannot find a wide shoe that ever fits comfortably, including the MO889. C'mon NB, make your sizing consistent or, like another NB reviewer suggested, create a multi-sport / hiking shoe with a true SL-2 last. I'm having to search elsewhere more often. Too bad for NB but good for me. I now have a Merrell (their wide barefoot shoes actually are shaped for real feet) and Lowa (the Renegade GTX is a true wide).