4.0 out of 5 stars Great shoes
Published on October 19, 2012 by Joseph Rochetto

1.0 out of 5 stars Be Aware Of Leaking If Heavily Used
Published 17 months ago by Bill B.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be Aware Of Leaking If Heavily Used, July 24, 2013
I work at a golf course, so i'm constantly walking through dew covered grass in the morning, and wearing these shoes 8-10 hours a day 6 days a week. The shoes worked well for the first 2 weeks that i wore them. This is into my third week, and they have started leaking already. I have submitted a return/replace request to Amazon, maybe these were just a defective pair, but i doubt it. I'm sure they'll work fine for normal use, but they don't seem to work well for extended outside use. I will update in a few weeks and see how my replacement pair works.

Well, here's my update. Amazon sent my replacement pair with no hassle. This pair last even shorter than my first pair, as they started leaking after only about 2 weeks. I have contacted New Balance to let them know that there must be a flaw in the design or something, as there is no reason Gore-tex should leak after 2-3 weeks. I'm not even going to bother getting another replacement pair, as they probably will leak as well. I will just go back to wearing either Rocky or Merrell, as they atleast hold up 4-5 months, before leaking. These shoes are really comfortable though, but i'd only buy them if you are going to occasionally wear them, not if they are going to be heavily worn, like in my case.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great shoes, October 19, 2012
I've only had these shoes a few days but find them to be a great buy. Very comfortable from the moment I put them on. Needed no break in period. Took them on a nine mile hike the second day with no problem. Cons: As always with New Balance you need to go up a size and perhaps a size wider too. If you do this you won't have any problems. I'm normally a 10.5 2E wide. For these I bought size 11 and 4E, probably 2E would have been fine but with NB it's best to err on the side of a bit larger size. Also I don't find the shoes especially attractive. They looked better on my screen than they do in person. But a good, comfortable walking shoe nonetheless. I would definitely buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic grip and balance, January 18, 2014
This review is from: New Balance Men's MO989 Multi-Sport Hiking Shoe (Shoes)
This is a fantastic all-purpose hiking and walking shoe. Most outstanding feature is the grip of sole. This morning I walked my dog on previously uncovered sidewalks, streets, and uneven grassy areas that just received a new blanket of 1-inch snow last night. Whether walking on fine powdered flat areas with black ice underneath or walking up grassy ridges that are often slippery in summer with the morning dew, the MO989's gripped each surface extremely well. I even pretended I was 10 years old again and tried to deliberately slide on the snowy sidewalks and loose grass but could not slide. And, my feet stayed dry and warm in the 24F temps. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars great., March 15, 2014
Bought these for my brother who is a diabetic and is missing part of his spine. He can never find shoes that ease the pain and pressure in his back and lets. He says he will never wear anything else again! I think I may need to stock pile a few dozen pairs for his birthdays and christmas presents!!

3.0 out of 5 stars My Fifteenth Pair of New Balance and the First Pair I Dislike, September 13, 2013
I have owned at least 15 pairs of New Balance over the years and have liked them all very much. Until now! I first ordered this model on Aug. 10, 2013. I ordered my usual size, 11D. To Amazon's credit, they arrived very quickly. They looked very nice. However, my first few trips across my living room carpet told me something was wrong. They felt very tight and rubbed badly up near the toe of the shoes. I packed them up for return immediately and ordered two more pair. A pair of 11 4E and a pair of 11.5D ( the next two bigger sizes available). I returned the first pair free of charge (thank-you Amazon) and received my second order in two days.

When I tried out the second pairs, the choice was pretty clear. The 11 4E's were too wide. Very loose in the heel. My foot slopped up and down with every step, even when they were snugly tied. The 11.5D's were better. Not perfect, but closer. I figured they would be much better after a few long walks. However, I had to end my first walk after 1 mile because the knuckles of my big toes were rubbing very painfully. One was actually rubbed raw. The bad area on the shoes seems to be right under the bottom shoelace eyelet on the inside of each foot. I felt inside the shoes for rough spots and found none. However, the entire body of the shoes seems to be a little thicker than usual. Possibly because of the extra waterproof Goretex layer. Anyway, I did like the looks of the shoes and the 11.5D's seemed bearable so I kept them and returned the 11 4E too-wide ones. That was on August 15th. I then decided to help the break-in along by jamming tennis balls into the toes of the shoes at night to try to make a little more room in them.

It's September 13th now, I have about 25 miles on the shoes, and they are still not comfortable; not as bad as at first, but definitely not comfortable. I've used the tennis ball routine a total of about 6 nights but it doesn't seem to do much. Now, to add insult to injury, the left shoe has started making a clicking noise with every step.

I'm not saying these shoes would be an unwise purchase for everyone, but I definitely do not like them. I am very disappointed, since I've liked every other pair of New Balance I've ever had. I haven't investigated my warranty options yet, but intend to see if I can get my money back from Amazon or the manufacturer.

***Update on 10/27/2013***
I'm updating my original rating from 1 to 3 stars. These shoes are finally comfortable now that I've walked about 75 miles in them. No more rubbing on my toe knuckles and they feel very supportive as well. I still cannot rate higher than 3 because of all the hassle I experienced getting them broken in, but they're definitely worth keeping now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good length fit, but 4E width isn't wide enough at the toe, March 15, 2014
S. Solomon (Ridgefield, CT USA) - See all my reviews
I have wide feet. I am usually a 9.5 or 10. In this case, the 9.5 4E was a perfect fit in terms of length, and width was okay up through the mid section, but my feet are wide pretty much all the way up, and these shoes are not, the toe area was too cramped for me. I tried the 10, but they didn't fit me well at all. If you don't need the width in the toe area, these would probably be okay, and you should probably order the smallest length that you would consider ordering.

5.0 out of 5 stars LIke the New Balance Sneakers but waterproof, August 29, 2013
I bought thiese for a trip to Alaska and I spent a lot of time in wet boats and rain. My socks never got wet and the shoes dried quickly. They are about 1/2 size smaller than my NB sneakers but the sneakers run very large.

3.0 out of 5 stars poor material quality, May 23, 2013
This review is from: New Balance Men's MO989 Multi-Sport Hiking Shoe (Shoes)
material quality is poor. logo came off on the second day of wearing it. leather part at the heel portion got torn after getting wet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great shoe for the price, April 2, 2014
I've had these shoes for about a week now and they are great. I previously had another New Balance shoe that I wore for work that also utilized Gore-Tex. They were great shoes as well, but these are about 50.00 cheaper and lighter in weight. They also offer good support and traction. So far I've been very impressed overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, March 16, 2014
quite good, i like it very much. And very cheap. I would buy others if more color options were available.

New Balance Men's MO989 Multi-Sport Hiking Shoe