5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh
Published on February 18, 2008 by S. Quinn

3.0 out of 5 stars Men's NB ML574 Shoes
I ordered the same size that I have been using for New Balance in the past for a perfect fit. However, with this show the fit was tight. The fit is good with lighter weight socks. New Balance have always been Five-Star shoes for me, but with this shoe fitting tight, I can give only a 3-star rating.
Published 6 months ago by D. Mohn

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, February 18, 2008
Great color to add to the collection. Own roughly 15 different pairs of New Balance 574s, currently. Have received many comments on the color from people. Make sure to spray with water proof/stain resistance before wearing to ensure long dirt free life. Would recommend to anyone looking for a colorful sneaker. Order a half size larger than you would normally wear as the shoe seems to run small.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good. Shoes., August 5, 2010
This review is from: New Balance Men's 574 Classics Running Shoe (Apparel)
I must say that a large part of the glowing review I'm about to give is due to the color of my shoes, which, incidentally, is not shown among the dozen or so variants available here. My pair of 574's are mostly black, with light grey "N" logos stitched on, a white strip above the sole, white portions by the top lace eyelets, and a PALE YELLOW rear "kick guard" or whatever you'd like the call the plastic strip on the back. This particular combo looks killer, and I don't see it here.

But I digress... Typically, when one goes to buy a casual sneaker, they have two things in mind: Looks and comfort. Sometimes, comfort even comes AFTER looks if you are really bent on your appearance. Versatility and longevity are OFTEN not primary factors. It's a street sneaker; you aren't looking for high-end sprinting performance to rival Usain Bolt, or the ability to wade through crocodile-infested swamps while silently pursuing a band of ruthless mercenaries.

The New Balance 574 delivers soundly in both leading categories of looks and comfort. For the first 20 minutes of wearing them and strolling around, I was alarmed by the awkward feeling they provided, as with every pair of new shoes (particularly New Balance) that I have bought. This quickly subsided as my feet readily accustomed to the shoes, and now they feel like part of my body. So...comfort, check.

And the LOOKS... When I first stumbled across the 574, I had frankly gotten sick of the typical shoe design--lots of cheap "synthetic uppers" made of whatever synthetic material it is they use, and "bling" in the form of gaudy, glued-on plastic trash that usually peeled off after a few weeks and contributed a frenetic, busy appearance reminiscent of a Jackson Pollock painting. The 574 does away with this nonsense. First off, forget what cliches may exist for suede shoes (especially blue ones), the suede used for the uppers on these is MUCH nicer than the typical "synthetic" [material]. In addition, the shoe is simple (at least mine are, with only neutral tones) and lacks glued-on tidbits, meaning that you won't be leaving a trail of spare parts behind you once the shoes age a bit. The big "N" logos scream "retro" and I think they look pretty cool. I see a lot of folks wearing New Balance shoes, and although all of them are pretty good quality, mine seem unique and a step above the typical "generic" style.

But wait, there's more! So they are comfortable, and look the part. What about those "bonus" features? Well, I haven't gone on a mercenary pursuit lately, but I can say that I jog, cycle, exercise, walk around the kitchen, go to class, go to work, drive, and push cars with these things...no problem. What's more, and this is entirely true, I rode a camel up Mt. Sinai (yes, THE Mt. Sinai in Egypt, and yes, a CAMEL) and then walked all the way back down...in these shoes. And they LITERALLY look "none the worse for the wear." Seriously, they aren't high-traction hiking shoes, so I slipped a bit on the gravel (though proud to say I never FELL) and these shoes didn't have a mark on them afterward.

Moral of the story? If you like suede, retro-ish, comfortable, durable, and generally great shoes that don't require a trip to the loan officer at your local bank, then don't hesitate to buy the New Balance M574 sneakers. They really are that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars best lightweight sneaker, January 6, 2009
I got these sneakers for my husband after months of searching in stores. New Balance must not make them too much anymore. Anyway, our entire family owned a pair at one point and we must say it is by far the most comfortable, lightweight sneakers we have ever worn. Considering the price and comfort it is an excellent deal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Men's NB ML574 Shoes, February 6, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable!, May 13, 2007
Ken Tang "kenplaysviola" (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This was my first New Balance shoe ever. I've seen people wear New Balance brands so I decided to try it. This shoe is VERY comfortable, cushioned, and make great for street walking. I am not very active and normally wear sandals or dress shoes so perhaps this is why they are comfortable. I have not worn athletic shoes in years. I am definitely going to buy New Balance in the future. I like the look of this shoe and the look of their other shoes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fit is a bit narrow, June 21, 2013
I buy New Balance shoes because they're one of the few manufacturers that provide widths. Typically, a EE is wide enough for my feet, but this particular shoe seems to size a bit narrower than others. I don't blame NB or the seller, as I could have done a bit more research (or maybe tried to find one to try on first) - I knew the risks when I purchased. But hopefully this review will help somebody else who may be on the fence. Look for one of the other models that has a different cut.

I should also say that the shoe is stretching out, so I expect it to eventually fit comfortably. But it's a slow process :-/

5.0 out of 5 stars From running to an everyday NB shoe = great fit!, February 22, 2013
I have run for years in the 990's. It was time to switch to a shoe that would fit an "everyday" lifestyle. I was first fitted @ a NewBalance store (which I HIGHLY recommend). They determined that I had a wider foot (aka. "D") and also noted that instead of me buying my regular 10.5...I would be better suited for an 11.

So I purchased an 11D. I am happy to report that I was pleasantly surprised with a great fit and comfort that rivals the 990's. If you need to take a break from a running shoe...these are a must for people with wider feet and need room in the front.

Also, Amazon handled the delivery with high marks (under 2 days)! Well done NB, Amazon, and the NB shoe store!

5.0 out of 5 stars M574- All Black, April 9, 2012
My first pair of 574's.... My kids have had pairs that have lasted for years and they love them. I actually acquired these from my oldest son because we ordered the wrong size. As I saw in another review of these, they seem to run 1/2 size small. ENJOY, you will get your $$ worth

4.0 out of 5 stars New Balance 574 Classic-Grey, September 1, 2008
Good shoes for everyday wear. I would not recommend working out in these shoes, especially if you are and under-pronator. There is extra inner arch support that would benefit those who need it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant, January 20, 2014
I knew it once I took them out of the box and tried them on. They fit perfectly and I hard can tell there on my feet it's like I've got two pairs of socks on.

New Balance Men's 574 Classics Running Shoe