Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on September 16, 2014
Have been wearing these New Balance MW840's for about a week now. So far I've been quite satisfied.
Pros: These seem to be a well constructed shoe, with a very soft leather upper and full "Abzorb" cushioned sole. I've noted very good impact absorption - particularly in the heal. The leather upper is supple, and is perforated to let your feet breathe a little. I ordered a 9-4E, and sizing is pretty accurate. I've tried several pairs of New Balance 4E's over the past couple years, and they have all seemed to be more like 2E's of other brands I've tried - such as Merrell, Sketchers, Columbia, etc. The width on these MW840"s is truly a 4E. There is plenty of width and height in the toe box. The insoles are a little thin, but do seem to offer a dense and effective cushion. They are removable, and there is definitely room to add a more substantial insole if you desire. The outsoles are not prominently "lugged" but still have good traction. They do pick up very small pebbles, but this is not too much of a problem.
Cons: The shoes are not the most stylish around. A bit "orthopedic" in appearance, to me they kind of resemble the bottom half of snow boots. I ordered the brown version. This is a dark brown, and in the sun they show a bit of a cordovan tint. Not unattractive, but a little different. The shoe is a little wide in the heal, and allows minor slippage there. I'm experimenting with heavier socks and different lacing schemes, and hope that solves the issue. The shoes don't offer a great deal of "energy return" or rebound -- such as you get with a good pair of running shoes.
Overall, these are good, comfortable shoes for casual walks and general use. If you need a shoe for power walking or more of an exercise application, you might want to check out something else.
on April 10, 2014
As a major fan of the sl2 shoe last from New Balance, I welcome the MW840 walking shoe. I have been a constant wearer of the NB577's which I love, and I decided to give the 840's a try. Now I love both styles. The 840's are perhaps a step up in comfort (and price). I use special inserts which may enhance the cushioning feeling, but these 840's are a dream to walk in. I have already ordered 3 pairs. Sizing seems right on, though those familiar with the sl2 last already know they may seem a little bulky at first. That is just my opinion. It does not affect placing this shoe in the winners' circle. I recommend surrounding your feet in these babies, and walk on.
44 comments|7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2014
Out of the box comfort. One half size smaller than my usual size for Nubalance walking sneaker type shoe. The color is perfect for jeans or khakis. I walk four miles a day for fitness and they are my go to choice. Can't find a better price. Glad to see this color available online. Just ordered another pair. BUT the thickness of the heel sole is thinnest right where I give it the most wear. Planned obsolescence? Consequently I have to buy a new pair when all of the shoe is in pristine condition except for a spot the size of a half dollar on the heel.
LATER; It is now October 2014, 8 MONTHS OF DAILY WEAR and the sole is still fine so I must retract the above crack about thinness of the heel material.
on February 17, 2016
They're comfortable enough, though they are a bit narrower than I expected. They seem well made, and I've had several pair of a different model of New Balance in the past, so all of the above is expected. Over time, these shoes tend to remain supportive, especially for people who supinate a bit, as I do.

They do have one thing going against them, though. These might be the butt ugliest shoes I've ever owned. I mean, they don't look super sexy in the photographs here, or anything, but in real life they're this square nosed, stumply little monstrosity on the bottom of my legs. You know how a pug or a bulldog has that super ugly, smashed in face that is so absolutely awful it is cute? These are like that, except without being cute.

If they hold true to my previous NB purchases, I expect they'll last a good, long time. So they still get 4 stars. One off for hideousness.
on July 26, 2015
Excellent product as I always expect from New Balance shoes. These fit as I expected them to, not too big or too small. I have to buy shoes a half size larger to fit my prescription orthopedic insoles. There was no problems with using them in this shoe. Simply loosen the laces a bit and the shoe expands nicely to fit a foot now taller due to the insoles. You don't even have to take out the stock foam insole to make room. If you have to wear these as I do then you know what I'm talking about. There is good cushioning all around the shoe with plenty of air holes for breathability making them extremely comfortable to wear all day. Although this pair of 840s, and maybe all 840s, are made in Vietnam, I remain confident in my purchase due to New Balance's company policy requiring at least 25% of their product is made in the USA. I will buy this shoe again if they are still making this model when mine eventually wear out.
on May 22, 2015
Love these shoes. My last 6 pairs of shoes have been NB so it shouldn't be a surprise. I couldn't find any NB shoes locally (to try before buy) so I bought a pair of Merrell shoes. However, I found that by the end of the day, each foot hurt between the ball and the arch. It was as though there was not much padding. I then ordered these NB shoes on Amazon. They felt great when put them on my feet - even before I stood up. I don't even notice them on my feet at then end of the day. I'm relieved I can now order shoes online and know they will fit.
on February 27, 2016
I have been wearing new balance shoes for decades and I have 5 pair in my closet right now. These are by far the narrowest show new balance has ever made in a 4E width. They need to go back and I may be done with new balance on-line, it seems going to a store and trying them on may be the only way to go for me now.
on July 9, 2015
A fairly plain shoe, but that is what I wanted for where I walk with these.
They are well-supported and comfortable.
They do fit somewhat large. Usually I have trouble finding wide enough shoes, which is why I like New Balance in the first place. My usual size is 11 4E, but with these, 10.5 2E I just right.
on December 29, 2015
Had to order a full size larger than even my previous NB shoes to get a decent fit. Why, oh why, can't NB use the same size standards as everyone else? Or even from year to year?

Otherwise they are comfortable.
on February 7, 2015
I have a black pair of the MW840s that are half a size larger than I usually get, and they are a little loose, but still the best walking shoes I've ever had. I was delighted that Amazon had the brown version, and I bought it at 10 1/2EE, and now these have taken over as the best walking shoes I've ever had. Really comfortable.