4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended
Customer Video Review     Length:: 3:52 Mins
I really like this watch and am impressed with how quickly it acquires signal and with how accurate it is. A few flaws keep it from getting a 5 star rating, but I'd definitely recommend it for most runners. Watch the video for a full review.

Update: 8-11-2014
I have now recorded over 50 runs totaling over 300 miles on this...
Published 5 months ago by Brennan Johnson

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published 5 months ago by Zach White

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, April 12, 2014
Length:: 3:52 Mins

Update: 8-11-2014
I have now recorded over 50 runs totaling over 300 miles on this watch. Overall, I'm still happy with it and I still think it deserves somewhere between a 3.5 and a 4 out of 5. Here are some notes:
-Despite about 3 software updates and at least 1 firmware update, nothing seems to have changed. I am still not a fan of the software and am increasingly disappointed with the lack of improvement. An obvious display-related software bug has been annoying me for months and it still hasn't been fixed. There is also a glitch in which exported .gpx files have time stamps that are off by an hour.
-The watch is still very slow to pick up on changes in pace. Definitely don't get this watch for interval training.
-The battery life is still awesome. I haven't noticed any change in how long it keeps its charge.
-There have been some instances where it took a good 3-5 minutes for the watch to acquire signal (even in places where it sometimes acquires signal very quickly). I'd say it typically takes between 1 and 1.5 minutes. I don't know whether acquisition time is related to geographical location...for reference, I live in northern Colorado.
-After seeing other people with various versions of the Garmin 10, I have to say that the Garmin 10 is far more attractive. The one in the video was a women's version. Garmin also makes bigger men's versions of that same model. Garmin has made firmware updates which apparently make their watch display similarly adjustable. The Garmin (online) software is far better in my opinion. As mentioned, the Garmin 10 is unbelievably better for interval training and is just as accurate. If you don't mind recharging your watch much more frequently, I think the Garmin easily wins. Personally, I'd still rather have the 12-hour battery life (and significantly cheaper price) of this NB watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Price + Surprisingly Good GPS, December 12, 2013
This review is from: New Balance NX950 GPS Runner Watch (Sports)
I'm a 2:55 marathoner who's used Garmin GPS watches for years (specifically, the 101, 201, and 305). I also own a Polar RS800sd. Looking for a smaller watch that would log my distance and paces (total and lap, average and current), I settled on this low-priced option after I'd read a favorable review on Runner's World. It's surprised me to see that something that costs so much less than some other brands performs so much better.

I'm extremely satisfied. The GPS gets the signal faster than my 305, and loses it less. I have used it for numerous runs in rural Connecticut and urban Italy, in heavily shaded areas as well as within canyons of large buildings.

The battery life is terrific. While the charger is a little fussy to attach, it gets the job done. New Balance's GPS Master software is pretty solid, although I had a tough time installing it on my Mac, and got little help and some misinformation from New Balance support.

The buttons work well and are intelligently placed. Navigation between screens is intuitive and smart. I think New Balance's corporate experience as a manufacturer of running shoes and other running gear helps to explain why this unit is so solidly designed.

The watch does not work with a heart monitor, but I've concluded I don't really need one -- certainly not on the vast majority of training runs for which I've used the watch. Excellent deal!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, April 7, 2014
This review is from: New Balance NX950 GPS Runner Watch (Sports)
I got this watch because of all the great reviews on here and I have been disappointed. It is fairly easy to set up and use, comfortable, etc. There are three hugely important aspects to the watch that I have found to be poor. First, the accuracy of overall distance traveled is not good. I run in a running group with several other guys that have gps watches. At the end of the run we compare distances and all of theirs are within .1 miles of each other. Mine however is generally .3-.5 below the distance they have (most of them have more expensive garmin watches). Secondly, the average pace is also inaccurate and not in line with what the other runners watches say...it will also jump around a lot even though I am running nearly the same pace. Thirdly, it takes a long time to find a signal. I will go out to start my run and will walk to let it find a signal and it takes way too long...usually I just go ahead and start my run before it does because I don't want to wait and don't know how long it will take. Then I have to estimate how far I ran until the signal was acquired or just mapmyrun when I get home anyway.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch for the money, March 16, 2014
This review is from: New Balance NX950 GPS Runner Watch (Sports)
I would have given it 5 stars except for a few things. First, the instruction manual is poorly written. I can never understand why e manufacturers do not engage someone knowledgeable with the product to write an easily understood and useable manual.
For example.-1) Charge the watch using the instructions given but do not hook up to your computer. 2). Download software from the website.3). Look at the settings you want for running, interval, cycling before you connect watch to computer. 4). Using USB cable, connect watch to computer.5).Use computer to make your desired settings. Of course, all of these steps should come with the instructions that are given in the manual without having to hunt all over the manual for the desired instruction.

I also found that I had to change the time zone otherwise the watch is ahead by 1 hour. Why this is, I do not know. Now for the good news. I had a Garmin GPS watch Forerunner 310XT previously which cost me about $170. The strap on the watch broke after 1 year of use. Garmin wanted $99 to repair it. Well I purchased the New Balance NX950 for $89 and it works better than the Garmin. The GPS signal engages faster and, for what I use it for, it works fine. I don't use all the possible settings . I use in the running mode,- time elapsed, distance traveled and pace (minutes per hour)
Another nice feature is that it can also be used as a ordinary wrist watch with easy to see and read face. The manual indicates that it can be used in this fashion for a year without recharging.

4.0 out of 5 stars Watch Great, software not so great, April 14, 2014
This review is from: New Balance NX950 GPS Runner Watch (Sports)
I bought this watch purely for the GPS capability. I agree with some other comments regarding GPS accuracy. I ran around a track 12 times, and the tracking was slightly different for each. It also seems to favor the east side of sidewalks. Not sure why, but if the tracking is off, it is always on the east side by a couple of feet. Having said all that, you can export the .GPX to your laptop, then upload it to online services such as Strava. This has worked out extremely well. The actual NB software is very basic, kind of what you would expect from a 1.0 version. If NB were smart ,they will issue a 2.0 with massive improvements of functionality. But I haven't seen anything like that yet.

So in summary, the watch works great. The buttons are intuitive. Finding the signal took about 20 seconds the first time, then only 3-4 seconds after that. It does exactly what I wanted, but not well enough for 5 stars. But I am satisfied and see no need to get anything more expensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, so far, December 24, 2013
This review is from: New Balance NX950 GPS Runner Watch (Sports)
I have had several Garmin running GPS watches, the New Balance NX950, so far, is much better. I like the cost, the size and how quick it acquires satellites (and I currently live in Japan). My biggest complaint about the Garmin is the band, it broke too much and the size. We will see how this band holds up. If it wasn't for the green on it, I would wear it as a watch 24/7. I do wish it could be taken into the shower and wish it showed elevation gain/loss.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... this watch because my Garmin was getting beat up pretty bad. This watch is great, July 13, 2014
This review is from: New Balance NX950 GPS Runner Watch (Sports)
I've been using a Garmin Forerunner 305 for the last 5 years and I bought this watch because my Garmin was getting beat up pretty bad. This watch is great. It is equally accurate to the Garmin and has all of the same features that I use. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Garmin but for 25% of the price you can't pass this up. I guess the only drawback I can see is the lack of a heart rate monitor option, but for me I don't use one anyway. It took some getting used to like any new electronic thing does, but after a few days I learned how to use most of the features. I guess time will tell if it will hold up for five years like my Garmin did. I run in temps from -20 all the way up to 100+ some days, so we will see how it does.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great GPS Watch, April 21, 2014
Asheville "Who Me?" (Mountains of the moon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Balance NX950 GPS Runner Watch (Sports)
Been running and cycling 35 years, when even simple running watches didn't exist. So this is a amazing way to track your running and cycling. First of all it took me a while to understand how it works, as any new gadget. Pushing the MODE button to select "running" will not instantly start tracking your run with GPS. The stop watch is going , but it does take a few minutes to acquire the satellites. ( I have a Garmin edge 705 on the bike and it is the same way). So set the watch to RUNNING a few minutes before you start, but press the START when you do start running.
You can select which data you want displayed on the screen while you run. Time, average pace, distance , etc. You can setthe auto split timer so the watch will automatically beep and show you your split time each mile.
You must download the New Balance program, from the website. I find the program is set up nice to view all your running data including maps, elevation chart, etc. I researched the Garmin Forerunner 10, and this NB NX950. . Besides being $30 less than the Garmin, the display is nicer, and the battery life is about 10 hours vs. the aprox. 5 hours on the Garmin. Yeah I love the watch !

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, May 12, 2014
This review is from: New Balance NX950 GPS Runner Watch (Sports)
Accurate and easy to use! Didn't want to spend a ton on my first one since I was mainly just trying it out to see if I'd even like a GPS watch and didn't want a ton of bells and whistles! It tracks my time and distance accurately and that's what I wanted!! Love it and loved the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy for anyone who likes to be active outdoors., April 27, 2014
This review is from: New Balance NX950 GPS Runner Watch (Sports)
I am an amateur "athlete" who enjoys trail runs in the woods and does the occasional obstacle course race a few times a year. I wanted a GPS watch to use for the Spartan Race series and was originally looking at a Garmin 310 since I needed the watch to be water resistant or waterproof. However, I was put off by the relatively high cost. I found the New Balance NX950 GPS Runner Watch fairly far down the search results, but after looking at the product details and the price, as well as talking to a few friends that had Garmin 310 watches, I determined that this watch promised nearly the same features as the Garmin watch, but for less than a third of the price so I ordered it. I have found that the NX950 watch has exceeded my expectations. The battery life is 12+ hours (with GPS on, or months with GPS turned off), and it has a short 3 hour recharge time. Switching between standard watch, bicycling and running modes is simple, and one thing to note is that the GPS comes on automatically when the watch is in cycling or running mode, and switches off automatically when in watch mode. The watch also has never lost GPS signal at any point that I have used it, even during mud/obstacle events which are often in rural areas. That brings me to what is the biggest selling point on this watch for me, the water resistance. I took it through the rigors of a Spartan Race recently and during the race got the watch completely submerged in mud that was the consistency of pudding, had it sprayed with water directly several times and had to swim with it on for a good distance. I expected that it would stop working and short out but when I got to the finish I found it still working like new and was able to stop and save the race data, which was what I bought it for. My one complaint, if you could even call it that, is that the software can be a little sluggish to start up on a computer, and it's not the most user friendly in terms of uploading workout data to social media. However I've had no real issues with the software other than that. I highly recommend this for anyone looking to save money on a GPS watch that still wants a great product.

New Balance NX950 GPS Runner Watch