I read literally hundreds of Amazon reviews on how this shoe fit before ordering and had a bit of a sizing struggle so wanted to write this review in hopes that it might help someone else. :-)
Published 21 months ago by Diana Stephens

2.0 out of 5 stars A very tricky fit + holey shoes after only 6 uses!
I tried three different pairs of New Balance barefoot running shoes. The first was a mens Minimus 10, they were a pretty good fit, but the colors and styling weren't for me. So I looked on Amazon and found the Minimus 20 and bought the same size as the Minimus 10.

Published on June 28, 2012 by SC

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, runs true to size compared to the WT20 (first version), read for comparison, October 26, 2012
First I tried model WT20v1 (first version). I wanted to love this shoe but it ran very small in comparison to the WT20v2 model. The width and toe box are the same dimensions in both models but the length is very different. I normally wear a size 8.5 or 9 in running shoes and ordered both sizes. Couldn't even get the 8.5 on. The 9 fit but was very snug and I could have used a 9.5 (and I've never gone that large in shoes before). I also ordered both sizes in the WT20v2 and what a difference! There is roughly 3/4 inch difference in length between a size 9 in each model, with the WT20v2 being longer.. .it was actually too big for me. The size difference between the 9 in WT20v1 and a size 8.5 in the WT20v2 was around 1/4 inch, with the smaller size WT20v2 STILL being larger than the size 9 of the former shoe! I also felt like I had more "wiggle" room in the WT20v2, even though it was a half size smaller than the other model. I am better able to splay out my toes more for a more natural bare-foot style run.

Both shoes felt basically the same, but I like the sole and traction better on the WT20v2. . it also seemed to have a bit more support. So if you like the original WT20v1, then I would suggest ordering up at least a whole size (especially if you have long toes like me. My foot is not wide, at all!) The WT20v2 is more true to size and you can order your normal shoe size and it should work out very well. I ended up going with a size 8.5 in the WT20v2 and couldn't be happier. Oh, I also got the pink shoe and the color is not quite as vibrant as what I see on the computer monitor. It is more of a raspberry pink and very pretty. I absolutely love the Minimus once you work around the funky sizing! Just my two cents.

2.0 out of 5 stars A very tricky fit + holey shoes after only 6 uses!, June 28, 2012

They arrived, and I tore open the box and put them on to find that they were probably 2 sizes too big! How can this happen, they are exactly the same size. They had to be returned at some expense to then get the women's version in a much smaller size. These felt a bit big too... Starting to get frustrated. Kept them, though need to wear thicker socks than normal.

It's like the very thin fabric used to make the Minimus 20 means that you need 1.5 to 2 sizes smaller than you would normally buy. There's no bulk at all to pad out the shoe, like in a regular running shoe. So they are a bit of a strange fit for a first timer.

Aside from that, they are super light, a little hot, have a very sticky sole that wears quickly (so I try to keep mine for trails only and not the road). They look good and feel good and I like them. There is plenty of competition out there in this market, and it'll probably pay to shop around for the best fit before committing to a particular brand.

The second review...

This is an addition to my first review which was written before the shoes weren't used extensively. Have the shoes been used extensively now... no. Not the shoes fault, but more mine. My sheer enthusiasm to get out and run trails with this new style of shoe, lead to an injury, and there hasn't been much running since. Needed to ease into barefoot running.

The reason for the second review is that with only 6 times being used, the shoes developed holes on one side. Where the right little toe rubbed on the fabric and just below that where the shoe bends. I was surprised and disappointed that this happened to a relatively brand new pair of shoes. What poor quality! Based on this, I really couldn't recommend these shoes. I think there are cheaper barefoot running shoes out there that would have to be more sturdy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Trail Running, July 20, 2012
This shoe runs a little long in my opinion but I wear socks and it is comfortable. I feel silent running in this shoe because it is very quiet against the ground. Looks good!
My only complaint is the inside of my right shoe, on the bottom, in the toe area, I can feel the seam. I was going to return it because maybe this is a defect but I had already run 4 miles in them and they were muddy so I decided not to return them and just taped the inside of my shoe. No one will ever know and I don't feel the seam anymore. Looks good too :) I am happy.
To get an idea what I like. My previous running shoe was the New Balance WT560 - love it!!! I still use this shoe for pavement running because it has more "cusion". I did NOT like the original WT20 at all. It was too short. I am glad I heard about them making this v2, which is longer. I am size 10 in running shoes. 9.5 in regular shoes.
Hope this helps! It's hard to buy shoes online.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could give them 5 stars, January 11, 2013
Awesome shoes, have owned similar NB styles previously - great fit, comfort and all the rest. Unfortunately this pair were poorly made and both shoes developed holes in the upper mesh of the shoe after only 2 weeks of very light use. Very disappointed, but as always Amazon were quick to respond & assist with a refund.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sized larger than previous models, December 26, 2012
I use these shoes for cross fit and they are great. I typically wear a size 10 but had to go to 9.5 because they run large. Still roomy with 9.5.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great looking shoe, very light but one size too long and wide in front, May 30, 2012
This shoe would be PERFECT if it wasn't for the fact that it is a size too long and the toe bed is very wide. I have read on other sites that the WT20 v1 fits more narrow and true to size. So, if your feet need shoes that run wide and long go for this model the WT20v2. It really is a shame that they do not fit me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Failing quality?, September 29, 2013
This is the second pair of Minimus shoes I've bought. My first pair (WT20FL1) lasted 2 years of mixed-surface/-sport use, including several long walking trips as well as running and hiking, indoor gym use, etc. It was a no-brainer to replace them with the same thing: I loved these shoes!

But I've had this second pair for less than 2 months, and the fabric is already falling apart, with just a similar use pattern (heavy on the walking, light on running and indoor gym use). It's rather disappointing, and something I'm hoping the company will address. I contacted them directly and am waiting for a reply.

***UPDATE 2 (10/01/13): The company provided a shipping label so I can return the defective product free of charge, and gave me a credit for their online store (newbalance.com) for a value the equivalent of a new pair of the shoes, including shipping/taxes/fees. Even though I was disappointed in this particular pair, I'm very satisfied with how the company has responded to my service issue! I still recommend New Balance, and hope the next pair is a little more durable.***

UPDATE (09/30/13): The company wrote back its apologies, and the solution they've presented is free shipping of the faulty shoes back to them, plus an unnamed credit to their company website. The response was within 24 hours of my contacting them. I'm not giving up on them (or this brand) quite yet.

1.0 out of 5 stars New Balance Women's WT20v2 Minimus Trail Running Shoe, April 10, 2013
This review is from: New Balance Women's WT20v2 Minimus Trail Running Shoe (Apparel)
These ladies running shoes are a piece of junk and I can't return them. This is the problem with ordering on Amazon. I ordered them as a Valentine present for my wife and she wore them a dozen times and now both shoes have a hole on the outside where the fabric meets the leather. I think this is a huge rip off.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good minimalist shoes!, December 10, 2012
Meredith D (from Austin, TX, in Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
I've been on the hunt for some REAL minimalist shoes. There are a lot out there, but they're not all actually minimally styled (I'm lookin' at YOU Nike Free). If you're looking for actual minimalist shoes, these are for you!

The sole is thin enough to feel cracks in the sidewalk, but thick enough to protect your feet - which is exactly what I was looking for! I've been wearing them all day and running short distances in them. So far so good! Not too sore. Remember to take it slowly when you're first getting into barefoot. Otherwise, you'll hurt so much you might give up! Which would be a shame - I'm in PT school, and there's actually a lot of strong evidence for the barefoot movement.

Other reviews said they had sizing issues, which I didn't have trouble with. I run between a 6.5 and 7. I bought a 7 and they fit fine.

I saw reviews for these shoes elsewhere that had complaints about fabric coming off the tongue, extending too low and rubbing on your upper feet/toes. I just went in and cut it off. Problem solved!

I get a lot of compliments on them. The color is very pretty! I recommend them if you're looking to go minimalist (my chronic lower extremity pain is MUCH better since going barefoot/minimalist) and don't mind doing a little scissor-surgery on the excess fabric inside!

1.0 out of 5 stars Love to hate, November 2, 2013
I enjoyed the shoes a great deal but after wearing them only to gym, they developed large holes across the bridge. I loved the previous iteration of these shoes but these shoes didn't even last me six months of occasional wear. Totally not recommended!

Rate and Discover Movies