Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS

on April 18, 2013
I'm a pretty serious runner, and I'm out there almost every morning. I beat the crap out of my running shoes, and get new ones every time the season changes, because the cushioning goes and I start to feel the road. Also, the bottoms get worn down and the treads disappear, like the tires on a car. New Balance shoes do tend to run about 1/2 size small, and I like to be sure I have enough toe room, so I get a bigger size than I would wear for just casual use, but since the wrong running shoes translate into all kinds of injuries, after more than 30 years I have learned to be careful. I like New Balance because I have a fairly high arch, and their shoes fit well and are supportive in the right areas on my feet. These are very light - I just got them a week ago, and I've been flying down the road, setting all kinds of PRs. The only thing that annoys me is that the laces are, like, 10 feet long. OK, maybe that is an exaggeration, but there is so much left over that I am thinking about picking up some shorter laces, so I don't have to be afraid of tripping over them. I'm not a little kid anymore; it hurts now to fall down, and I don't get right back up and keep on playing. Now if the pollen allergies would just leave me alone, and I wouldn't have to blow my nose constantly when I'm out there! I don't suppose they can come up with a shoe for that....
11 comment39 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon April 5, 2013
I ordered these shoes because they are made in the USA - supporting American workers! Not only were they a great price (I got them on sale), but they are so very comfortable. I jog in them several days a week and they have been great on my feet and knees. These are my second pair of NB and I will continue to purchase them for years to come.
on July 30, 2013
I have worn New Balance before and this is a good shoe. I did buy it because many of the reviews stated it was wide in the toe area. I didn't find it as wide as I like so I am glad I did buy 1/2 size larger. They are fine, would buy them again.
on July 23, 2013
I have been trying to start running for a little while, but I kept having trouble with shin splints. I suspected that my prior pair of shoes wasn't right for me (shame on the salesman who helped me) and was just contributing to the problem. I thought I was taking a chance buying a pair of shoes online without getting to try them on, but the price was great and reviews were encouraging. They fit perfectly and were just as comfortable as everyone has said. I have been going out for runs for the past week, and I have no pain. It really is all about the shoe! I'll be looking at New Balance again for my next pair.
on July 8, 2013
Due to previous foot surgery I have to pamper my feet. These shoes are perfect! I feel like I'm walking on a cloud. I highly recommend them. They are true to size as well. Good quality shoes!
on April 12, 2013
A comfortable shoe with cushioning and support that would fit my active life, whether at the gym or on the go.
on October 13, 2013
I have ordered and sent back more pairs of this type of shoe in the last 3 months than I ever have in my life. Not only do these shoes fit comfortable from the get go, they are very lightweight which is one thing that I have been looking for in a shoe. I have other brands but the arch is just not right in them for my feet. New Balance always seems to come through for me as I have a wide foot and need the width and the correct arch that they always seem to have available.
Despite the other reviews, the shoe does have enough support which is one thing I am picky about. This shoe is a keeper.
I wore this shoe on 10/15/2013 on a 2 mile power walk with my dog yesterday. That evening, I found a huge blister on the heel of my right foot. This is not good as I can't even walk on it this morning and do not know how I am going to work today! I am an operating room RN so I have a lot of standing on my feet and walking a lot to do. I obviously cannot send it back at this point as I have worn them outside. This is not good news! Wish I could return.
on September 4, 2013
They are very comfortable and feel great on the treadmill. I really really really really love the way the look.
on August 6, 2013
I LOVE New Balance shoes and these are even lighter than ones I've purchased before. The arch support for those of us with a high instep, the shoes themselves are very light, nice for running, and the materials acctually "give" with the foot. I love them!
I have been wearing New Balance shoes since they were recommended to me by a podiatrist many years ago when I was having heel pain. I had always worn walking shoes until two years ago when my local New Balance store recommended running shoes for my particular issues, which include supination (when your foot rolls outward as you walk and wears down the outer edges of your shoes). I fell in love with that pair of shoes but, as is so often the case, when I went back to buy another pair, that style had been discontinued. I bought the style they said took its place but it was not nearly as comfortable or supportive for me.

In the past five years, I have bought all my NB shoes directly from a NB store, but I was getting tired of paying their super high prices so I searched Amazon for NB running shoes. I found this W580v3 and decided to give it a try. I also decided to go down a 1/2 size because over time I have changed the kind of socks I wear from a thick, padded sock to a slim, fitted sock.

This shoe is noticeably lighter than any of my other shoes, especially my running shoes. I really liked not feeling like my feet were weighed down, especially on the treadmill at the gym. I found the shoe more comfortable than the replacements for my favorite (discontinued) style but perhaps not quite as comfortable as the discontinued style. I didn't feel that the heel stabilization was as good as in my other running shoes, perhaps because they are so much lighter.

The only real "con" to this shoe, for me, is that it is SO lightweight in its structure that it is allowing my feet to supinate worse than my other running shoes, even though I am wearing the same orthotic insole in these shoes that I wear in all my sneakers (the orthotic is supposed to correct the supination). Unfortunately, while it is the only con, it is a pretty big one.

I recently hiked a couple miles of the John Muir Trail (Yosemite National Park) in these shoes and I could really see the supination issue, especially as I started to tire. In addition, while my friend was also hiking in the same open-weave type (but not brand or style) or sneakers as I, she had little or no trail dust in her shoes, while my shoes AND socks were filled with it. I had to actually stop hiking and shake out my shoes and socks before I could continue.

Previous to my Yosemite trip, I had been using the shoes only for the gym. In that role, they performed quite well.

I am a walker, not a runner...but if I am having the level of "collapse" in these shoes that I had from trail walking, I can't imagine they would be great for running, unless you have no supination or pronation issues.

In summary, while I love the lightweight nature of these shoes, I find them structurally inferior to the other models of New Balance shoe that I own.

3 1/2 stars