5.0 out of 5 stars A new beginning..., April 12, 2006
This review is from: New Beginnings (Audio CD)
It definitely shows! My understanding is that it made a debut at number one. There is an excellent reason for that. This cd is superb! I am equal parts happy and excited about this for him. We Got The Groove has a beat that keeps the repeat button on my cd player in constant motion. New Beginnings with Patrice Rushen is pure gold. It's extremely hard for me to choose favorites because honestly this is a solid effort from beginning to end. I'm a huge fan so I usually like anything he releases. This is destined to end up as one of my all time favorites. Other songs that stand out for me are I Need You, You Are My Love, Big Shoes and a guaranteed show stopper at any live show Georgia On My Mind and the reprise. He takes it to a whole new level. I am also a huge Jeff Lorber fan and they make a wonderful combination. Excellent cd! I love everything about it!

5.0 out of 5 stars SICK SICK SICK, July 6, 2006
This review is from: New Beginnings (Audio CD)
This album is one that just has your head boppin' or you jumping up and down in your seat. This is a must play for the car. The hooks are simple and memorable from beginning to end. I especially love the "Georgia on my mind." Just adding another to my Albright collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Mix, March 28, 2006
This review is from: New Beginnings (Audio CD)
I had an opportunity to get an early glimpse of the CD and found it to be a fairly good session. I say that because it is not Gerald's best work, but definitely not his worst. I am a true fan of Gerald's music and eagerly wait with anticipation each release which seems to come about every two years after several years of back to back projects. What you will like on this project is the title track `New Beginnings' featuring Patrice Rushen which brings back fond old school memories of Grover Washington Jr. Also, `Last but not Least' has a catchy beat that will have you tapping your feet (I see this one getting some radio air time). But Gerald really shows his sax ability on his rendition of `Georgia On My Mind'. `I Need You' and `All the Love' puts a little modern day vocalize Rhythm to the CD. He gets somewhat funky with `Big Shoes' and `We Got the Groove' which turned out to be quite enjoyable and deserves radio air time. The other selections are ok at best. The CD is a good mix, good enough to add to your collection, but if you are looking for "Live at Birdland West' you may have to wait a couple of more years. ~the JazzeOne

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely beginning, November 12, 2006
This review is from: New Beginnings (Audio CD)
As the CD title would suggest that smooth jazz stalwart Gerald Albright has indeed moved to a new lable, moreover, it would appear that this move has not damppened his enthauism, as this particular CD moves from strength to strength. Although some would argue that the vocals detract from the instrumentals, which would appear to be a rather persistent argument amongst listeners of jazz; however, I suspect that Mr. Albright and his producers have in this project found the balance between the two such that the entire collection is appealing and worthy of anyone's smooth jazz collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Beginnings Indeed, May 6, 2006
This review is from: New Beginnings (Audio CD)
Gerald Albright hits the mark on this new CD. He is at the top of his game and you can feel the love that he put into this project. A new label and a new home for the Albright family must be perfect because this CD is going to be one of the hottest he has ever put out. Do yourself a favor. This is a must have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Saxman Supreme, April 28, 2006
This review is from: New Beginnings (Audio CD)
One of my favorite saxophonist, his skills really come across in his recordings, as well as in the live concerts I've attended. This is especially evident in his rendition of "Georgia On My Mind." Instrumental Performance of the Year as far as I'm concerned. This CD is all about Gerald.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality album; a breath of fresh air at times, April 20, 2010
This review is from: New Beginnings (Audio CD)
New Beginnings, reflects recent transitions in Gerald Albright's life, as he has moved from his longtime home of Los Angeles to the suburbs of Denver. This is Gerald's debut album on Peak Records (although it is his 9th solo studio release), and it is certainly one of the best albums of his well-established career.

Take the lead track (and first radio single) "We Got the Groove," which is nothing short of a breath of fresh air. Gerald goes all out, playing not only alto and tenor sax, but also flute, bass, and bari sax as well. The bari sax in particular gives this song its unique flair - this is not your stereotypical smooth jazz song! After starting off with this truly unique track, the album contains a good balance of funky, under-produced, live-sounding jazzy pieces (such as "New Beginnings," "Georgia On My Mind," and "Big Shoes") and more heavily-produced, beat heavy, smooth jazz grooves (such as "Deep Into My Soul," "I Want Somebody," and "I Need You").

There's a couple of cover tracks on the album, including the aforementioned "Georgia On My Mind" as well as a fantastic remake of "And the Beat Goes On" featuring two of the original members of The Whispers on background vocals.

The list of producers on the album is solid: Jeff Lorber, Rex Rideout, Chuckii Booker, Luther "Mano" Hanes, and even Gerald himself on a few tracks. The Lorber-produced "Take Your Time" sounds like the musical continuation of the song "Sun Ra" from Lorber's album Flipside. Special guest artists include Chris Botti, Paul Jackson Jr., and Jeff Lorber (on both keys and guitar).

The album ends on a perfect note, with a reprise of "Georgia On My Mind" that captures the fantastic feeling of hearing Gerald perform live. In total, there are 12 tracks on New Beginnings, and they are all worth listening to. Gerald Albright has had a very long and successful career in contemporary jazz, and New Beginnings shows that he still has a lot more to offer.

This Review Copyrighted 2006 by J. Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars sweet!, October 31, 2006
This review is from: New Beginnings (Audio CD)
this is a really nice album. my favorite are "i want somebody" and "you are my love". definitely add this one to your collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting Better & Better, October 3, 2007
This review is from: New Beginnings (Audio CD)
I have already reviewed a couple of Gerald's previous projects with the overriding sentiment being that Gerald fares much better as a premiere session man rather than the centerpiece. Yet since I made that observation about 3 years ago, his solo projects have been consistently solid. Before, I could not imagine sitting through an entire Gerald Albright set simply because he tended to pale in comparison to the David Koz's, George Howards, Dee Browns, or even Kim Waters for that matter.

But lately, Gerald has produced some quality projects, showcasing inventine sax work in some sparkling arrangements. This project is no exception and is actually the best work he has submitted in a while.

Gerald shines with his spot-on choral sax arrangements and his band is top-notch. If you are a smooth jazz sax man/woman, this project will not disappoint.

Nice, inventive work!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gerald on my mind (recommended), April 12, 2008
K. Williams (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Beginnings (Audio CD)
Albright blows his toes off with the bluesy GEORGIA ON MY MIND that sounds like no prior rendition. If you can afford to purchase just one selection, let it be this. It DEFINITELY would be a rousing conclusion to his performance April 19th at the 16th annual Guitars & Saxes concert (edit: and it was)!

The title cut, NEW BEGINNINGS, is sassy and smooth, as are other selections such as DEEP INTO MY SOUL and I NEED YOU. Some songs (like the latter) include background choruses; my preference is pure instrumental. All cuts have the full-bodied saxophone style that is unmistakably Gerald; several rhythms are reminiscent of earlier Albright recordings. The compilation is guaranteed to improve a tense ride to work and help you unwind a smile after an exhausting day.

New Beginnings
New Beginnings by Gerald Albright (Audio CD - 2006)