Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > A Weekend in the City forum

New Bloc Party sucks

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 23, 2007 9:35:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2007 9:57:37 PM PST
aquarices says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2007 8:44:31 AM PST
Pop Zeus says:
If you've heard the album already, you've heard unmastered demos. The master copies have yet to be leaked, so the only finished songs you've heard are "The Prayer" and "I Still Remember" (which are both good songs). I don't think any Bloc Party fans but you care ift the album is overall slower or not. Silent Alarm's best songs (Plans, This Modern Love, Little Thoughts) weren't the most agressive songs on the album anyway.

By the way, Coldplay's first album was no better than "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" both are marginal, maybe slightly above average records. Coldplay only writes one type of song, "The Bends" era Radiohead sounding music set to sappy love lyrics. They're clearly out of ideas on "X&Y" (as if they had any original ones to begin with).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2007 4:05:37 PM PST
Interesting cause I found "A Weekend in the City about a month ago and i've been listening to it ever since. I'm not gonna say that it's better or worse than their last album but i hated the new songs in concert when i heard them last summer but i've grown to really like the new stuff. not better or worse but it's definately different and shows a more mature sound

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2007 4:55:12 PM PST
aquarices says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2007 4:47:50 PM PST
FRANCO says:
first of all 'parachutes' had a generally more mellow tone than 'rush of blood..' and i feel this is a bad comparison. It must be the sophmore slump. Id find it a shock if they improved [if only replicated] on their first album [silent alarm]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2007 10:36:22 AM PST
faster one says:
Hey I've heard the "a weekend in the city" and I think it's awesome , this album show a progression in their sound , a mature . Off course "silent alarm" was a good album (a little "happy" for me).
Well for all of you just listen the album and give your opinion .

I like "a weekend in the city"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2007 10:36:26 AM PST
faster one says:
Hey I've heard the "a weekend in the city" and I think it's awesome , this album show a progression in their sound , a mature . Off course "silent alarm" was a good album (a little "happy" for me).
Well for all of you just listen the album and give your opinion .

I like "a weekend in the city"

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2007 7:11:55 PM PST
J. Buteyn says:

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2007 7:26:07 PM PST
Rosebi says:
I like the new album, but it's nowhere near Silent Alarm. It's a good album and in my opinion still light years ahead of most of the other crap out today. But it's like this cd is a step to the side as in they stepped to the side, and sat down on a couch because they were tired and had no energy. I really miss the uptempo, energetic pace Silent Alarm had. I've had that cd forever and I still listen to it all the time. Never get sick of it once. The only real time I've noticed that fast paced, beautiful sound BP has is on "Where Is Home?" when they shout the title of the song... That part is great. I enjoyed the songs such as Kreuzberg, Waiting for the 7.18, Uniform, Prayer, Where is Home... but every song on this cd is subpar in relation to Silent Alarm.

I'm not quite dissapointed, there is some great songs on this, but Silent Alarm was amazing and this is just "good". Looks like I'll be waiting another year or two for Bloc Party to release Silent Alarm "2", if you catch my drift.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2007 10:41:44 PM PST
aquarices says:
You sir, have hit the nail on the head. When you compare "A Weekend in the City" to the mindless drivel being played on pop radio, it sounds quite good. When you compare it to "Silent Alarm", it's no contest; "Silent Alarm" wins in a TKO. It shouldn't be that surprising when you consider that a band's first album is the culmination of many, many years of songwriting. "A Weekend in the City" is what....2-3 years of songwriting, at most? Not to mention huge expectations and such....it's really a no win situation. If they write "Silent Alarm 2", as you put it, they'll be criticized for not evolving. If they do what they did, they get criticized for not sounding like their last album. They need to find that brilliant middle ground, where they blaze new trails and yet don't alienate the fans they've garnered from previous works. (See: Radiohead, The Flaming Lips, Broken Social Scene, Four Tet, even Beastie Boys, to name a few.)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2007 10:55:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 3, 2007 11:00:15 AM PST
Rosebi says:
"They need to find that brilliant middle ground, where they blaze new trails and yet don't alienate the fans they've garnered from previous works."

^ That is truth in its finest form. If they pull a Radiohead (one of my most favorite bands of all-time), its definitely a win-win. *raises his drink* Here's to hoping they find that middle ground.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2007 1:34:52 PM PST
Scott says:
I have listened to about half of it, streaming from their MySpace page. I think I'm going to like it better than Silent Alarm. It's not as loud and fast as Silent Alarm, but the melodies and overall sound are better.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2007 12:08:55 PM PST
E. Beecher says:
Personally, I love the album. Having followed it for over a year before it came out, I really got an understanding of what they were trying to achieve. Yes, the lyrics are a lot simpler, but they did that on purpose. Kele himself said that he wanted to make an album that was easy to understand. He had a set theme for the album and all the songs follow that.
It's not like Silent Alarm.
Those who were fans of "Helicopter", "Banquet", and "Like Eating Glass" might not like this album as much. But fans of "So Here We Are", "This Modern Love", and "Blue Light" will love it.
Like most Bloc Party, it grows on you. You might not love it at first, but it goes from okay to incredible after listening to it more.
I think a lot of people were expecting a faster, more punk-like album. Notice that I didn't say energetic. Although many of the new songs are slower, I feel that they still have just as much energy as the songs from Silent Alarm.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2007 12:01:47 AM PST
J. Tran says:
Wah! I'm a fan of those that you've listed. *cries*

Well, The Prayer and hunting for witches definatly grew on me though. Can I expect the cd at least have some complex fast melodies too?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2007 7:23:36 AM PST
JJ says:
Solid album on it's own. It's always tough to compare a new album after only a few listens to one of your favorite albums you've heard hundreds of times.

Bloc Party is an excellent new(er) band. Pick up this album. It's quite good and grows on you more and more with each spin.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2007 11:10:21 AM PST
J. Pearson says:
They don't shout the title of the song--they shout "Where is IT?", meaning, where is the home of the British citizen with foreign roots who is reviled in his own country? Perhaps, the song will make more sense to you now.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2007 11:18:21 PM PST
Agreed. Well, it doesn't suck, so much as forces me to think of Bloc Party differently. And, that's something I don't want to do. "Silent Alarm" was a great record that I could dance to, and as terrible as it is to hear that white guys dance to this stuff, its the truth. Man I miss the danceability...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2007 12:15:54 PM PST
Electro says:
I don't see what all these disappointments are about; I find this album a step above Silent Alarm and perfectly respectable.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2007 4:44:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2007 4:46:39 PM PST
B. Simmons says:
HHAHAHAHHAHAHHAA.

5 stars. A colourful beautiful album, i wouldnt expect the states to understand it. Go back to wal mart and die.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2007 10:20:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2007 10:21:18 PM PDT
An absolute bore of an album. Sophomore jinx hits hard, very hard.

And yeah, i'll go back to walmart when you brits take trash like this and Lily Allen back to whence you came (ASDA). I'll keep The Good, The Bad and The Queen, though, thankyouverymuch.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  16
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Jan 23, 2007
Latest post:  Apr 27, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Weekend in the City
Weekend in the City by Bloc Party (Audio CD - 2007)
3.9 out of 5 stars (76)