Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 1, 2013
First and foremost, this product is EXACTLY the same as the New Chapter Perfect Prenatal, 192 Count that is in the smaller quantity. This bottle is my wife's 3rd bottle she's taken during her pregnancy. The ingredients are exactly the same. However, if you're pregnant (or planning to be), I would highly recommend you get this item as the cost per pill is a lot cheaper than that of the 192 pill bottle. I can tell you how to save even more, but I'll get to that later.

As a bit of a background on my story, as an expectant father, I was very happy to find out my wife and I are expecting a baby next spring. As a loving husband and future-parent, I wanted the BEST for my child. But because I am new to fatherhood, I went to Google to search for the BEST prenatal vitamin for my wife. Of all the ones that came up via several parenting sites and forums, New Chapter was one of the top ones on everyone's list. The only place that had them locally was Whole Foods. While I normally don't shop there, Whole Foods are extremely health-focused, so it made sense to look to compare what they had.

After 45 minutes of sitting on the floor comparing the ingredients of all their prenatal vitamins, one gentleman with his wife (who looked like she was about to pop) picked these up. I asked him why he chose those over the other various brands available at Whole Foods and he said it was the only one that didn't make his wife sick and he said she tried all of them. He also said that these were made of whole foods, so it's good for her. In addition to what that guy said, of all the ones at Whole Foods, these were the only ones that didn't have any fish-related ingredients. Anything fish-based makes my wife EXTREMELY nauseous.

Then we went to our doctor for our first visit after her pregnancy test. I showed our doctor the prenatal vitamins and she said these were good BUT we needed DHA for our baby's development. Rather than buying a whole new prenatal vitamin with DHA, we decided to keep taking these since we knew it didn't make my wife sick (even on an empty stomach). I went back to Whole Foods to look for a DHA supplement. Of all the ones at Whole Foods, the only one that wasn't fish-based was Spectrum Essentials Prenatal DHA Softgels, 200 mg SoftGels, 60 Count Bottle.

My wife absolutely adores both the Spectrum DHA and New Chapter prenatal vitamins. By taking both, we have the peace of mind that these two supplements are providing everything that our baby needs and my wife is EXTREMELY happy that she is able to take both pills, even on an empty stomach and have no sickness/nausea whatsoever. There is no bad taste and the smell of these pills are actually pleasing. Icing on the cake is that my wife's skin and nails grow EXTREMELY fast. While I wouldn't think that as a pro, she loves it.

In the summer, we bought the 1st bottle (192-count) at Whole Foods for about $35.99 + tax (it was on sale). However, when it was time to get the 2nd bottle (192-count), the price jumped to Whole Foods' regular price of $65. So I ended up buying the 2nd bottle on Amazon for $35.31 + tax. This is now our 3rd bottle (270-count, full trimester) but when we bought it, the price was $51.79. Currently today (11/1/2013), the price sits at $49. But here are a few tips to get it cheaper (I paid $31.43 for my 270-count bottle).

On occasion, Amazon will have a "New Chapter" brand sale. Whether this is $X off or X% off, it happens pretty often since I've been tracking this product (twice in 2 months). The current promotion is 10% off. Now I assume if you're looking at this product, you are expecting to be a parent. Take advantage of Amazon Mom. I did and I saved an additional 20% off my order by subscribing (otherwise it's just 5%). So when I bought these pills for $51.79, there was a $10 off promotion + 20% off Amazon Mom ($10.36). That's how I bought a full trimester's worth of these pills for just $31.43 (cheaper than even the 192 count).

Hope my review helps!
33 comments|321 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2011
I had been taking a prenatal vitamin prescribed by my doctor for two years, because I told her my husband and I were planning on having a family relatively soon. I never noticed a big energy difference, or really any difference at all in how I felt. I began to research switching prenatals once I found out I was pregnant, because I still felt undernourished even while eating healthy, taking vitamins, and exercising. After asking around I decided to buy these after hearing positive reviews from friends who had just had babies, and talking to my doctor.
Within three days to a week of taking them, I was shocked at how much of an energy increase I noticed, and how much my mood and overall well-being increased. It was almost like I was truly awake and alive for the first time in years. I was almost hyper at first, but it was a welcomed change to feeling sluggish and tired constantly. After a couple weeks I no longer felt hyper at all, just much healthier, happier, and more energetic.
After reading the reviews on here, I became slightly concerned about these vitamins not passing the dissolve test. I decided to do a little research. New Chapter explains why these do not pass the test, and why it does not take away from the nutritional value in our body.

Here is a response to someone else who asked the same question:

"Thank you for your inquiry and for your interest in New Chapter supplements. Probiotic Nutrients, including Perfect Prenatal, are not your standard vitamin and mineral isolates. They are whole food! Because each tablet contains 30% protein and because we do not add chemical excipients to aid in their breakdown (a requirement for organic certification), they generally take longer than USP nutrients to dissolve, however, they always disintegrate within an acceptable amount of time with respect to the USP standards.

When claims were made in 2005 that New Chapter's Perfect Prenatal failed dissolution testing by Consumer Labs, New Chapter's president, Tom Newmark, was invited to defend the perfect status of our prenatal vitamin in an interview with CNN. He explained that New Chapter subjects each and every batch of our Probiotic Nutrients to standard USP disintegration testing and has the passing test results available for consumers to see. (For a complete description of this testing method, please see the attached document.) The station later removed our name from their website after documentation proved the claims made were unjustified. Since then, other news stations and publications have picked up the original story, but have failed to report it in full.

Additionally, Perfect Prenatal has been accused of not disintegrating when placed in a glass of warm vinegar. This kind of test is inappropriate for testing what happens when you swallow a complex whole food product such as ours. Remember, the pH of the stomach is around 1, while that of vinegar is 3-4. Additionally, HCL isn't the only thing responsible for breaking down and liberating nutrients from their natural protein binding in food; proteolytic enzymes also play an essential role, not to mention the fact that contractions of stomach muscles churns it all together to make a food slurry called chyme.

The `vinegar test' is designed for the isolated nutrients bound together by chemical binders. So, while it may be fun to watch chemical forms of vitamins dissolve in a glass of vinegar, you would be waiting a very long time, perhaps even forever, for a carrot or a piece of spinach or blueberries to dissolve in this fashion.
As New Chapter's Quality Control Director, Brad Marr, explains, "The test method used by the TV station could very well hold the product together. Vinegar and water solution could result in a pH at or near the protein's iso-electric point, similar to the curdling of cheese. A better performance comparison to our products would have been a chunk of cheddar cheese, a piece of steak, or a type of food with a similar protein, fat and carbohydrate make-up."

In addition to this standard disintegration testing, New Chapter has worked with an independent laboratory to create a testing procedure that more closely replicates what happens in the stomach environment (proteolytic enzymes and pH 1 HCL solution). All samples tested by using this method confirm that Probiotic Nutrients disintegrate well within the typical human stomach/intestine digestion time. Furthermore, a longer disintegration time is a good thing, nutrients are best utilized within the body over longer periods of time, rather than in the short spikes that isolated nutrients provide, which flood the body with single nutrients and can result in biphasic activity (including possible side effects).

We hope this information has quelled any concern. As the only organic whole food prenatal in the world, we think you have chosen the best and safest prenatal that has ever been."
11 comment|338 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2013
What follows is a conversation between a naturophic doctor and a New Chapter representative:

I talked with Ethan, 800-543-7279, from New Chapter this morning for 20-30 minutes. This is what I found out:

The facility for culturing and forming the nutrients is in the US. The Probiotic nutrients are made in the US. He would not tell me where and said it was proprietary information and they can't release the location.

Paul and Barbie started the company in 1982. They had a small coop natural food store for years and came up with the cultured, dual stage process formulation.

The step by step process is as follows:
Spring water and non-GMO soy flour are mixed together.
"Plant food" as an isolated version is added.
USP (United States Pharmacopeia = drug regulated) isolated or synthetic "nutrients" are added.
Brewer's yeast is added which ingests the above additives in the culturing process and they come out as a whole food! (In other words, they don't come from whole foods but they turn into whole food - deceptive.)
He said this "soup", so to speak, is cultured for a non-specific time by bringing it up to a certain temperature and when they determine that the culturing process is complete:
Plant enzymes are added to help cease the culturing process. (I believe this is the so-called Herbal blend.)
When the culturing process has stopped, probiotics are added (in the so-called Herbal blend) and are deactivated to make the "nutrients" more digestible.
The 100 mg of sprouted seeds are not cultured, but added after.
(What this says is that the only real food in the mix is the soy flour and brewers yeast. The rest is the junky lab created isolated at best, or synthetic chemicals that are cultured with these two foods, and then probiotics are added, which turns them into "whole food" that is digestible. It is a scam to call them whole food supplements because you automatically think they come from whole foods.)

I asked him to go down the entire Supplement fact label list with me to tell me what the source is for each one. At first he was hesitant and asked me why I wanted to know. I told him I was a Naturopath doctor and had a PhD in Nutritional Science and am always checking on supplements to know if they are something I want to recommend to my clients. This is what he told me was the source of these vitamins and minerals, almost apologizing and assuring me after each one that they turn into whole food after the culturing process:
Vitamins:
A - from palm tree oil
C - is synthetic ascorbic acid. He apologetically said that is the only source for it. (I bit my tongue.)
D3 - from lanolin (comes from sheep's wool)
E - organic non-GMO soy flour (see above) & trace of refined sunflower oil
K - (he said he'd come back to this one and then forgot to tell me!)
B1 - from Brewer's Yeast (see above)
Naicin (B3) & Folate - from Brewer's Yeast (see above)
B6 - isolated
B12 - Cyanocobalamin
Biotin - from Brewer's Yeast (see above)
Panto. Acid - from Brewer's Yeast (see above)
Calcium - algae, Lithothamnion calcareum (= Calcium Carbonate which is like trying to absorb sidewalk) & Lithothamnion corallioides (= Coral Calcium which the body cannot absorb) (See attachment Calcium Lactate)
Lithothamnion calcareum is a red alga of the Corallinacea family whose main feature is the formation of calcium carbonate precipitate in its cell walls. L. calcareum is marketed as a nutritional supplement for calcium and other minerals in Brazil and other countries under the pharmaceutical name of Vitality 50+
Lithothamnion corallioides. Coralline algae that grow unattached on the sea bed. Very brittle. Bright pink in colour when live, grey white when dead.
Iron - from USP ( United States Pharmacopeia= drug regulated) isolated Ferrous Fumerate
Ferrous Fumarate
What key warnings do I need to know about before giving this drug to my child? Store away from children. Poisonings with iron happen most often in children.
Iodine - potassium iodine
Potassium iodide is an inorganic compound with the chemical formula KI.
Magnesium - oxide (this is the cheapest and junkiest kind that our bodies cannot use)
Zinc - oxide (this is the cheapest and junkiest kind that our bodies cannot use) (see attachment Chezyn)
Copper - sulfate (see attachment Chezyn)
Manganese - algae (I should have asked him what kind - may be like the calcium)
Chromium - Trivalent or III (see attachment Cat. GTF)
Molybdenum - from the sprouted seeds
2626 comments|487 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2016
This used to be methylcobalamin b12 and methyl folate. Now folic acid and Cyano- b12. Ive also noticed I feel nauseous after taking these vitamins, whereas I used to not. I dont know when they changed but when I started taking these years ago, I had checked specifically for the forms of b1 and folate when choosing a prenatal; this one was chosen based on not being cyano and not being folic acid. DONE with this brand. Those with MTHFR mutation and look for folate specifically like to know this.
on January 1, 2015
My review is poor due the product itself. I researched and bought this prenatal because of the claims of its folate being from a whole foods source. The actual new chapter brand website and the pictures of the packaging on Amazon all show and talk about a vitamin with folate. When I received the product, it wasn't until I actually opened the vitamin box that the actual bottle states additional information: the folate, it says, is sourced from folic acid cultured media. Folic acid is the man made version of folate. Folic acid cannot be folate. The two terms are not interchangeable and they function differently in the body. Pregnant women should avoid folic acid and rely on folate! This is so important! The new chapter company is evasive and unclear in answering this question and it makes them seem further untrustworthy. I'm very unhappy and returned the product.
on March 21, 2014
New Chapter used to be a great company, and was the prenatal vitamin of choice for our first pregnancy 4 years ago. A year ago they were bought out by Proctor & Gamble (whose major shareholders are also the same people as MONSANTO <GMO Producers and world-ruiners>) [...]

I took these for my first pregnancy and took them for a while after. Now I am pregnant again so I went back to it thinking it would still be as great as it always was. WRONG! I was sick within a few days of taking these vitamins, with diarrhea and a very upset stomach (worse than the morning sickness had been before starting to take these again)

IN SHORT, these vitamins are now shit. The nutrients are "cultivated" through vegetables by giving the plant-based ingredients synthetic additives. This means that the nutrients themselves are actually NOT BIOAVAILABLE!!

66 comments|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2011
As other people said in their reviews, these vitamins do not upset the stomach at all.
I don't mind taking them 3 times a day.
In addition to the Prefect Prenatals I am talking a Calcium supplement because these only contain 75mg (7.5% DV) per serving of 3 pills a day.
And I am also taking DHA supplements called "Life's DHA" by Swanson @ [...]

I hope this helps!
review image review image review image
If you are trying to decide between the 192 count New Chapter Perfect Prenatal, 192 Count and the Full trimester 90 day version New Chapter Organics Perfect Prenatal Full Trimester Vitamin Tablets, 270-Count, rest assured they are both the exact same formulation. Check the Subscribe and Save as well as the everyday prices, generally the full trimester is slightly cheaper per tablet (3 tablets per serving or per day). Even though the full trimester box is slightly larger, the glass bottles inside are the same size.

The New Chapter Perfect Prenatals consist of a good blend of multivitamins and minerals, however they are somewhat short on Calcium (7.5%) and Magnesium (3%). They also fall somewhat short on copper (aneurysms, spider veins, varicose veins), chromium (diabetes / pancreas), molybdenum, iodine (thyroid) and zinc (though zinc depletes copper still important for immune system).

From the package:
Serving Size 3 Tablets Servings per container (192 tablets = 64 servings, 270 tablets = 90 servings)

Three tablets contain:
Vitamin A (beta carotene) 5000 iu 100%
Vitamin C 60 mg 100%
Vitamin D3 1000 iu 250% (the DV is under dispute by the Vitamin D Council)
Vitamin E 30 iu 100%
Vitamin K1 70 mcg 88%
Vitamin K2 (MK7 best form!) 10 mcg 12% (MK7 = Grrreat!)
Thiamine (B1) 4 mg 267%
Biotin 300 mcg 100%
Panthothenic Acid 10 mg 100%
Calcium (from algae) 75 mg 7.5%
Iodine 90 mcg 60%
Magnesium 15 mg 3% (important to note...)
Zinc 7.5 mg 50% (Zinc depletes copper)
Selenium 50 mcg 71%
Copper 750 mcg 38% (depleted by zinc... deficiency scientifically linked to aneurisms in the poultry industry)
Manganese 2 mg 100%
Chromium 100 mcg 83%
Molybdenum 20 mcg 27%
Mixed Carotenoids 3 mg

The NCO Perfect Prenatals also contain a Prenatal Herbal Blend 300 mg consisting of Organic brown rice, organic oats, organic blueberries, organic prunes, organic blackberries, organic flame raisins, organic raspberries, organic dandelion, organic rose hips, organic lavender, organic lemon balm, organic peppermint, organic cloves, l.casei, l.plantarum, l.salivarius, l.acidophilus, l.rhamnosus, s.thermophilus, b.bifidum, b.infantis, b.longum, and b.breve) as well as Breast Support Blend 100mg consisting of organic broccoli, organic cauliflower, organic kale, organic daikon radish, organic cabbage and organic mustard.

The package of NCO Perfect Prenatals states the supplements are NON-GMO Verified, ISC Certified Organic and are cultured with beneficial live probiotics. The package also indicates the supplements are naturally gluten free, are 100% vegetarian with no artificial flavors nor colors. The supplements I received from Amazon had almost 2 years remaining before expiration. New Chapter Organics provides a toll free number 888-874-4461.

I highly recommend the New Chapter Organics Perfect Prenatals however I also recommend alternating the NCO Perfect Prenatals with another good quality whole food sourced brand to ensure none of the nutrients are missed over the duration of the pregnancy including from TTC, the pregnancy itself and continuing through the breastfeeding months. The nutrient deficiencies are of serious note considering the birth defects and chronic illnesses they are associated with including: Selenium deficiency is linked to cystic fibrosis and diabetes; magnesium deficiency is linked to inverted sternum, club foot, diabetes, hypertension, irritability, heart disease, violent tendencies; chromium deficiency is linked to diabetes; B deficiency is linked to spina bifada; D deficiency is linked to many illnesses and cancers; copper deficiency is linked to aneurisms (turkey farmers learned this expensive lesson in the 1950s); the list continues onward...
99 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2012
So I had written a previous review for this product, which, for reasons unclear to me, was offensive to particular viewers. So I'll preface by saying, obviously this is my opinion and nothing personal intended. First off, my mistake - I misread the label when I bought these, and thought these were meant to be 1 pill per day, not 3 per day to get the full serving size. That definitely works for some people who would rather not take the horse pills that other PNVs are, so taking 3 small pills may be a blessing. And some may say, all 3 can be taken at one time if you'd rather not have to remember to take 3 pills at separate times (which would be my issue) - but in that case, if you can manage to swallow 3 at a time, why not just take the 1 big pill. Further more, 3 pills (1 serving) of these have 600 mcg folate, whereas others do have more folate in just 1 pill ... The minimum requirement for women pregnant or intending to become pregnant is 400 mcg, and most vitamins actually have 600 mcg.. but for those that think more is better, other supplements have 800 mcg in one pill. I actually purchased Nature Made Prenatal Multi Vitamin Value Size, Tablets, 250-Count also, and have found that they are small, easy to swallow, 1 pill per serving and contain more folate/iron than the NCPP. Lastly, while I was skeptical of the "vinegar test", since I had 2 bottles of PNVs at home, I tried it out, and the NatureMade ones dissolved in under a minute, while the NCPP one was still sitting intact in the vinegar a few hours later. Not sure what that means, take it for what it's worth (the NatureMade are also certified by US Pharmacopeia society).
What is nice about these is that they are organic... I do like that.
All in all, I'm sure that really any vitamin will be fine, but these are pretty pricey, didn't seem to dissolve that well in vinegar (for whatever that's worth), and require 3 pills to make one serving. If you happen to miss one, you're getting just about enough folate, and if you miss two for whatever reason, you're not getting enough folate -- while just one pill of many other brands, including the nature made, will give you all the folate you need and not worry about forgetting other pills. One caveat: the NCPP does have some essential minerals that others may not have (eg selenium) but these are mostly found in a healthy diet -- which is obviously important (even more so than prenatal vitamins) in pregnancy and in general.
PRO - organic, small, contains essential minerals
CON - 3 pills make a serving, pricey, ? didn't dissolve well in vinegar test, one pill just contains 200mcg folate so need to ensure you remember to take at least 2 to meet minimum requirements for pregnancy
Hope this is helpful and not offensive to anybody.
on January 11, 2016
I have been taking these vitamins for over a year while trying to conceive. They have great reviews and their natural organic composition was very appealing to me. I took them to my doctor at my annual exam last week and I wish I had done so sooner. He was alarmed that the maximum Vitamin A quantity was met as currently studies are out about the excessive in take of vitamin A and birth defects. Secondly, they only give 75% of the daily recommended dosage of folic acid (1000 mcg is recommended) for pregnant women. Their large size and over all make up was also a concern for him. He said often times your body can breakdown these pills too quickly and you don't actually get to absorb the nutrients. Not to mention you have to take three huge horse pills that taste horrible! You also need to take a DHA supplement with this vitamin. My overall sentiment is talk to your doctor about taking any kind of supplement before, during, and/or after pregnancy and make informed decisions. After my recent conversation, I will be switching to a prescription prenatal.