Published on February 23, 2012 by Jeri Zerr

3.0 out of 5 stars Read packaging thoroughly
When I bought this product it was to supplement my prenatals. I didn't realize you needed to take 4 pills per day to get to the recommended dose. Not exactly appealing when you're pregnant.
Published 23 months ago by Elaine

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive... but when expecting your bundle do you want to sacrifice quality?, February 23, 2012
This review is from: New Chapter Wholemega Prenatal, 90 Softgels (Health and Beauty)
I have been taking New Chapter supplements for many years. I was somewhat surprised to see they offer an omega supplement geared for those critical prenatal months. Since many birth defects are attributed to a deficiency of essential fatty acids, it only makes sense for an omega to be available in a prenatal formula. The package states "Effective: Helps promote baby's brain and eye development." Don't forget to take a good quality whole-food source prenatal vitamin such as New Chapter Organics Perfect Prenatal Full Trimester Vitamin Tablets, 270-Count or Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 150 tablets along with Wholemega Prenatal during those critical months including from before TTC, during the pregnancy as well as when breastfeeding.

From the package:
Serving Size: 4 softgels (two softgels, twice daily just prior to a meal) Servings per container: 22.5
Vitamin D3 100 iu 25% (the DV is under scrutiny by the Vitamin D Council and is often cited it should be much higher...)
Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil 2000 mg
Total Omega 3 Fatty Acids 520 mg
EPA 180 mg
DHA 200 mg
Other Omega 3 Fatty Acids 120 mg
Total Omega 6 Fatty Acids 60 mg
Total Omega 5,7,8 Fatty Acids 95 mg
Total Omega 9 Fatty Acids 300 mg
Astaxanthin 5 mcg (very potent antioxidant -same substance that makes a lobster RED)

According to the package, these softgels also contain B.A.S.S. - Botanical Antioxidant Stability System which it defines as extracts of rosemary, organic oregano, and organic sunflower oil as well as natural mixed tocopherols (think Vitamin E here though not listed in the supplement facts).

New Chapter states these supplements are 100% Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil - obviously not vegetarian though they are naturally gluten free.

I highly recommend the Wholemega Prenatal supplements when considering an omega source when pregnant or TTC (trying to conceive). I believe in Omega 3 supplements very strongly after witnessing a near miraculous transformation in my aging husband after 4 years of consistently taking Fish Oil and Flax seed oil - usually 4 to 8 grams per day, combined among other good quality supplements. This transformation has taken place AFTER doctors - electro-physiologists - sent him home with days to live (2 weeks, at best). His Type 2 diabetes is cured, his severe congestive heart failure stabilized, he quickly rebounded after hip surgery, he didn't need surgery or western medical intervention after breaking his back. Something worked - either he never had anything wrong with him... or the truth lies in a good supplementation program. ;-)

The reason for 4 stars - the quantity of 90 softgels initially led me to believe this was a one month supply. However, upon arrival, it is only a 22.5 day, or just over 3 week supply taken at the recommended dosage of 4 softgels per day. We will make these stretch by using them as a supplement to my existing supplementation protocol which already includes fish oil and flaxseed oil as well as Krill (source of Astaxanthin), garlic oil, 20,000 IU of D3 daily (yes, not kidding...). In a perfect world, I wouldn't complain and just switch completely to these, however unfortunately the economics just do not allow that luxury at this time. New Chapter should consider offering this in a 120 softgel supply - 1 month at their current suggested serving size. Since the majority of their cost is in marketing and packaging in the glass bottles, the cost should only require a slight increase to cover the production costs of the extra 30 high quality softgels.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UPDATE 3/21/12: New Chapter is now owned by Proctor and Gamble, which means Warren Buffet and the same major owners as Monsanto. The review below is for product shipped March 2012. Be sure to verify the product formulation and manufacturing process has not been changed prior to purchase of any New Chapter products.

3.0 out of 5 stars Read packaging thoroughly, March 20, 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars "Whole Omega" a gimmick, December 14, 2013
I bought this shortly before going in to see a doctor at MGH who specializes in women's health before and during pregnancy. She has also taken a special interest in omega supplements and has studied them extensively. She is a big proponent of taking fish oil (for everybody, not just expecting mothers), but says that you only need to take a supplement containing omega 3 and 6 because your body is capable of making the rest. It probably won't hurt you to take all of the others, but according to this doctor it certainly won't help you. She recommended Nordic Naturals (they also have a prenatal DHA) and told me not to waste my money on this over-priced supplement.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but not ideal, December 7, 2014
Stacy "sllemke" (BLAINE, MN, United States) - See all my reviews
I'm sure these are really high quality, but I have to admit, it's really tough (especially in the first trimester) to choke down 4 fish oils a day! I also wish they were flavored b/c I did get fish burps, even though I tried to take at night. Eventually, I had to switch to another brand where I only had to take one and they're flavored.

2.0 out of 5 stars It gave nasty fish burps., August 6, 2014
It has to be taken before (not after or near the end of) a big meal, otherwise I get nasty fish burps that lasted for hours. I can't say for its quality. But no other supplements had made me feel more miserable. I don't know if anyone had similar experience. I will finish the bottle but I won't buy any more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Heart burn, going back to ultimate omega., July 27, 2011
Generally New Chapter has wonderful products. I love their Pre-natal, and was dissapointed this caused me heartburn. Switching back to Ultimate Omega, as it seems to have more omega and dha than this one, and at a better price point.

5.0 out of 5 stars No fishy flavor, smell, or burps, April 26, 2013
I've avoided fish-based Omega vitamins in the past for fear of weird tastes and belches. Maybe I'm just silly, but I'm happy to report that I've had none of those problems with these. I'm a big fan of New Chapter vitamins and I would recommend these to anyone. The only problem I've had is remembering to take them right before I eat lunch and dinner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thankfully, no after taste!, March 22, 2014
I have tried many fish oil-based vitamins, and there is always some sort of fish after taste to them. I decided to order these vitamins after checking other forums and websites for their recommendations. There is zero after taste. I highly recommend these vitamins!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied with Wholemega Prenatal, February 8, 2015
Just opened these and they are not fishy at all. I wanted a pure omega 3 strictly for pregnancy and I'm glad I purchased these. I don't doubt the potency or quality of these pills at all. I am taking 3 a day, but the recommended dosage is 4. I've only been taking them a few days, but my skin is clearing up, which I didn't expect to happen and not sure if it's a benefit of omega 3 or something else. I've read in numerous articles that DHA in omega 3 is beneficial to the developing fetus's, and an infant while breastfeeding's, brain so I wanted to begin right away in my third trimester. I'm not looking to give birth to a genius I just want to make sure I do most everything I can to give him the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for mama and baby, September 19, 2014
Being pregnant I tend to burp a lot, so I was looking for a product that would not be tasted or smelled when I burped. I started using the product at the end of my first trimester and I'm now at the end of my trimester and baby is doing great. Doctor said I'm doing something right. I did a lot of research and felt having a fish oil supplement was essential to the baby's brain development. When I ran out of my first bottle I thought a couple days would be ok without it but found that my digestive tract seemed to slow down. I would recommend this product to pregnant women.

New Chapter Wholemega Prenatal, 90 Softgels