Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

75%
25%

on January 20, 2013
I have been teaching online for two years and consider this book a must-read for those who want to understand how to incorporate Web 2.0 into the classroom. McHaney embraces the new expectations of young learners and provides sound advice as to how to best approach education which reaches them. His explanation of the tech savvy's ability to time-slice, and how that can be beneficial to educators was extremely useful. This book also functions as a primer of the different element of Web 2.0, and how they can be used for learning, such as the use of wikis for courses. He thinks outside the box in his approach to teaching, offering special issued currency in one class which students cash-in for their grades at the end of the semester. McHaney offers real examples of how to experiment with technology in the classroom, recognizing that we learn and grow with the effort.
on April 28, 2012
Overall i liked this book. Being a community college math professor, this book gave me insights into my current and future students as well as tech devices that I could incorporate into my class. However, this book assumes that you are an adherent to using Web2.0 devices into your ckassroom and are not a Luddite. ithe book is well written and insightful.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2011
Fast read, packed with information. Makes a good reference book and has interesting examples. The author illustrates various concepts with examples from his life: some involve his children, his students, or himself. I particularly like how he compares his newly developed food allergies with the way technology and millennial students have unexpectedly impacted universities. He gives different ways various teachers handle the situation: ignoring it, tinkering with it, making a fundamental change, or going way overboard with new technology. He uses Professor Luddite, Professor Emulate, Professor Digital, and Professor Overenthusiastic to illustrate. And he ties these 'fictional characters' back to his food allergies. It is amusing but also makes a point about value-added approaches that can be used to react to new realities that seem to come out of nowhere. He also talks about the television program, The Paper Chase, which I really enjoyed.
on October 15, 2011
I am a teacher and always hear how I should be adding Web 2.0 technology to my classes. What does that mean???? Well, finally, here is a book that lays it out in easy to understand language. The author discusses the 'why' behind our need to use technology (e.g. the Tech-Savvy Millennials expectations and the grass-roots use of technology in all aspects of life). Then he tells ways to actually implement technology without going overboard (e.g. Professor Overenthusiastic, p. 153). His ideas explore theory but focus on the practical with a quick primer on learning theories versus pedagogies. Then he tells the different Web 2.0 tools that are effective for each type of learning experience teachers might want to use (Chapter 7). The best part of the book is Chapter 7. It really is helping me and I highly recommend using this book to work toward the goal of becoming a "Tech-Savvy Teacher". I don't feel like I need to do it all and realize it is a goal to work toward. The students can become resources while we teach them important concepts.