Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Butter Muslin 2 sq yards
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on August 2, 2013
For the purpose of cheesemaking, I believe there are more affordable options of the same quality. This is simply more expensive because it is presented in the boutique 'home cheesemaking' category, if that makes sense.

I purchased some very low end dish towels, Mainstays 5pk Flour Sack Kitchen Towel, from Walmart. The cost was $4.50 for a set of 5. Their weave was loose enough to allow the whey to pass through easily, but tight enough to catch all of the curds. It was big enough to easily tie up and hang.

I finally decided to upgrade to actual butter muslin (this product), figuring why not give the real thing a try? It did the same job of letting whey pass through and catching curds, but was uncut. If you need a specific size (very large or very small), you may prefer it, but I found it to be an annoyance that it was uncut...the Walmart cloths are already the perfect size for me).

All in all, I would say that the two products worked the same, except that the one from Walmart came with 4 additional towels that I could use for other purposes. I'll stick with the bargain.

I will update if my opinions change as I get into cheesemaking more.

I would like to mention that if you are considering cheesemaking, do visit the New England Cheesemaking website. It is so fantastic and will answer so many questions for you...like when I wanted to know if I could use my veggy rennet in place of animal rennet! Thank you so much N.E. Cheesemaking!!!
77 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2012
Excellent Cheese Cloth. The home made cheese came out perfect. The cloth is also reusable and can handle the sqeezing without the cheese seeping through. Highly recommended
on February 28, 2012
My favorite cheesecloth disappeared while I was on vacation for a week. (Maybe my roommate tossed it?) It was resilient and very finely woven - lovely for straining stocks, making butter, or draining soft cheese. I would have bought another one, but I couldn't remember the brand or the store in which I found it.

This butter muslin is well made, and works very well for all of those tasks, but the weave is a little looser than my previous cloth. It is still better than anything I've seen at the stores (so far). However, every time I pull it out, I wish it were my old cloth.
on July 6, 2014
Works really well for making cheese. However, can be slightly difficult to clean if you use herbs in the cheese. The directions say "machine washable", but I would wash it separately from other laundry items (and on the gentle cycle), because it will pick up other debris. The cloth is very delicate and will still work great if it's folded in half while draining the cheese. Overall, a very large cloth and works like it should.
on May 27, 2013
Doesn't shed little threads all over the place. My husband uses it for loose-leaf tea, and loves it. I use it for straining things. This one bag will probably last a lifetime for us, as it is easy to wash and reuse.
on January 6, 2015
Lovely product that holds up wash after wash. Yes, the price seems high, but after you use the cloth over and over - you forget about the cost because you know that other cheese cloths wouldn't last. I did cut this product to size and them sew a boarder around it after the first washing revealed that the cloth easily strings. After that, I have not seen any strings. It is very fine - allowing for cheese, butter, and many other applications.
on September 9, 2014
This is a must if you are making cheeses at home, use the cheesecloth for cleaning or wiping mould out of cheeses, but use this one for the actual cheese making. You might need few of them. Just make sure you don't put them in the washing machine. Wash them using the old style:

- Use cold or water to rinse the curd out of the cloth
- You might add a mild, color-free, perfume-free detergent
- Hang to dry

Keep few ones handy. The last, the more you wash them, the tighter it becomes. It will get a brownish color after one wash and this is OK. I use a sanitizing solution instead of the detergent (not chlorine or vinegar) to keep it sanitized and then hang them.

This is quite a large size, unless you make batches over four gallons, you can cut it in half and had two muslims.
on March 31, 2015
I love this muslin. I'm using it for making homemade butter, cream cheese, farmer's cheese, mozzarella, greek yogurt. It can be reused many times. I have cut it into several pieces for my purposes and still have pretty large piece unused. I hand wash used muslin immediately after use - first in cold water to make sure milk particles don't stick, then in warm soapy water, rinse several times, and add some vinegar to the final rinse. When the cloth is dry, I put it away till I need it again.
on March 16, 2013
I make a lot of butter, yogurt and cheese and this is fabulous stuff. It holds up well, doesn't separate as quickly as regular cheesecloth and the quantity in the package is substantial. Good bang for your buck.
on April 10, 2013
Don't forget to rinse it in cold water after using to get the cheese off. Then boil it, air dry and you can use it again.