Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: New England Knits: Timeless Knitwear with a Modern Twist
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Interweave Press has published another winner. Despite it being summer, I can picture a beautiful fall day in New England when I look through this book. The patterns are tantalizing and most of them are, indeed, timeless. The book is divided into three sections: Around the Town, Fall on the Farm and Along the Coast. There is a short introductory section about New England.

My favorite patterns are:

The Hampton Cardigan is made from super-soft wool and yak, "suitable for more than one season". The sweater is knit in one piece and is primarily garter stitch and lace. It's sized from 36" to 51".

Northampton Neckerchief is a square shawl shape worked on a smaller scale. It has a lace edging and is in three fall colors: wine, purple, and bronze. Finished size is about 30" square. It is delicate and beautiful, knit with superfine yarn on a size 5 needle.

Brattleboro Hat is unique and interesting to the eye. It is knit in 2 directions: "a ribbed band is worked from side to side to create the brim, and stitches are picked up along oner side for the moss stitch crown. A button tab at the side gives this simple hat a twist." It is knit with a worsted weight yarn.

The Augusta Cardigan is lovely, with cables down the front and sleeves, and stockinette stitching for the back. It can be knit for a man or a woman and "waist shaping is omitted to flatter a variety of figures." It is sized from 32" to 56". The yarn called for is Classic Elite Montera knit with size 8 needles.

The Windsor Warmer is "a long scarf knitted side to side with buttons and buttonholes along the edges, offering a variety of options for wear". It can be used as a neck warmer, a traditional scarf, or as a cowl. It is knit in a lovely lace pattern using cashmere yarn. Yummy!

This book definitely reminds me of New England and there are plenty of luscious patterns to spur the fancy of most every knitter. I plan on knitting the Augusta Cardigan first but I hope to get to several of the projects in this book.

As always I ask myself these three questions:

Does the book contain patterns that I'd knit?

Are the instructions clear?

Is the book a good resource?

The answer to all three questions is 'yes'.

Bonnie Brody 7/20/2010
on July 24, 2010
A Staple For Ever Knitters Library.
I take pride in the fact that i seek out the cutest/wearable knitting patterns.Friends of mine(Im 26)have asked me to teach them to knit after looking through my knitting pattern books and seeing what i make from them.I love seeing my friends and people from my generation pick up the craft,And patterns like these help peak that interest.This Is an amazing book.Depending on the number of patterns in a book or pattern booklet,I have to like a certain # of the patterns to get the book(unless there are a couple designs in there that are so amazing that only liking 2 of 15 patterns makes it somehow worth it).
This is NOT one of those books.But, of course how can I be surprised as it is a Cecily Glowik Macdonald collaberation.
I love this entire book.With exception to maybe 1 or 2 patterns I will be knitting my way through this entire book.
With 25 wearable flattering designs i cant wait to get started.I pre-ordered this book and i dont do that often.It just arrived this morning(A Saturday,last delivery day of the week.Yay!),and Iam so excited about it i just had to get online to leave a glowing and exstatic review for all who have yet to get this book to see.
This runs the gammut of patterns to choose from:

Cardigans:A couple of my faves,The Greenfield Cardigan looks comfy and pretty as well as the Ashfield and Hampton Cardigans!
Sweaters both light-weight and heavy cozy ones to choose from,like the Middlefield Pullover(Cover)
Cabled fabric lined shoulder bag:The Groveland Satchel.
Colorwork Whale Watch Hat.
vests:The Airy Lace backed Montague Vest.
Jackets:The Salem Hooded Jacket or Melrose Peacoat.And much more...

Go ahead and get this book.I know its hard to know if it's any good online since you can't thumb through the pages,but you wont be dissapointed.If you are on Ravelry you can always take a peak at the patterns there.
5 Stars.Loved it.I really think you will as well.
on July 21, 2010
I haven't been this taken with a knitting book's overall aesthetic since "A Fine Fleece". The accessories are equally lovely, but the stand-outs to me are the sweaters and cardigans. The basic shapes are familiar, but the constructions and details are innovative and eye-catching, and they're all extremely wearable. I usually consider a knitting book worth purchasing if it has at least 4 "must-knit" patterns in it -- there must be at least 15 that I want to knit here. :)
on September 17, 2010
I'm a 51-year-old, very plus sized woman who has made two sweaters from the book. I had to make some modifications to fit me but the mods were easy to make because the styles are truly classic. No knitting book will make everyone happy, but as a middle-aged, ample woman, I love this book and couldn't recommend it more highly.
on July 25, 2010
Maybe it is the cover, or the patterns in this book which are so wearable and classic that made me knit the Montague Bulky Lace Vest from the New England Knits at a Maine beach in 85 degree heat. But there I was, knitting away when I had a problem understanding what to do when the pattern called for "a yarn over before a purl stitch". My husband suggested I walk the beach and look for someone knitting; of course, no such luck. That's when I read the section on yarn overs and my problem was solved. This beautiful book is chock full of beautiful patterns. Often a book contains only one or two patterns which tempt me, but not this one. I may knit the Providence Hoodie on the beach next summer!
on August 9, 2010
I have never written a review for Amazon before, but I was so taken with these patterns that I had to speak up. These patterns strike a wonderful balance between timeless elegance and a strong fashion sensibility. So often pattern books disappoint me because the patterns are either too youthful (read Brooklyn hipster) or too matronly (read Mid-western elementary school teacher). EEK! But New England Knits was a must buy the minute I saw it in my local knitting store. (And I am a cheap sake who normally just gets knitting books from the library.) You won't be disappointed with this purchase.
on July 23, 2010
I am so pleased with this book. I pre-ordered it before knowing about no more than 2 or 3 of the patterns, but I'm so glad I did. There are only 2 patterns in this whole book that I would not knit (unless I made some significant mods) but EVERY other pattern is one that I want to cast on for, NOW. I can't think of a book in my collection of over 50 knitting books that has nearly as many patterns that I love as much as those in this one. Buy it now, you won't be sorry!
on October 29, 2010
New England Knits: Timeless Knitwear with a Modern Twist by Cecily Glowik MacDonald and Melissa LaBarre, is a wonderful collection of 25 patterns suitable for a three season climate. The sweaters are interesting in design and most have some sort of shaping so that they do not just hang off of the wearer like a box. I am not in love with all of the patterns, but that is a matter of personal taste. What I do like are the written instructions interspersed with charts, the freshness of the patterns without being outré, and the variety. Although more than half are tops or sweaters, and there are not patterns for men, each sweater offers something different, there are boat neck sweaters, cowl, and saddle-shouldered items.

Each book that comes across my desk has something different to offer and this book is no exception. It seems to be the first book for these two authors and it shows a lot of promise.

Disclosure: A review copy of this book was provided by the publisher.
on January 17, 2011
I became interested in this book after seeing if featured on a respected knitters' blog. I fell in love with the Whale Watch Hat and after perusing the other patterns via Ravelry decided to add it to my Christmas list.

The book was out of stock and just came in mid-January. Overall I think it is just what I had hoped for and expected. I was pleasantly surprised that most of the items had scaling up to plus-sizes, which is something I usually forget to check for before adding something to my list. No more, "Well, when I lose a million pounds I can knit this beautiful sweater!"

My only real complaint is that a) the paperback cover is ridiculously flimsy. It would never stand up to being toted in knitting bag. I would have preferred hardback or at least a link to digital files I can download to print and carry with me and b) a few more accessories or smaller projects would have been nice. A girl can only knit so many sweaters!
on April 21, 2011
I bought this thinking it would have something new and exciting. After I received it and looked it over, I sort of wished I hadn't bought it and just borrowed it from the library or looked at it when in a LYS. I wouldn't have bought it if I had time and opportunity to check it out in person. Feels like a bit been there done that... I recommend looking at it in person before you buy, you may see something you have to have, then go for it, I will be taking it to my next knit swap...