5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeds expectations.
Published on December 10, 2007 by Chicago Book Addict

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots O' Cream...
These recipes all sound wonderful but I must say, at least 60% if not more, call for 1-3 cups of regular or heavy cream...

If you are looking to "lighten up" a little but having soup several meals a week this may not be the book for you...
Published 9 months ago by JK

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeds expectations., December 10, 2007
This review is from: New England Soup Factory Cookbook: More Than 100 Recipes from the Nation's Best Purveyor of Fine Soup (Hardcover)
I had high hopes for this book. I have visited the New England Soup Factory frequently and have always been impressed by the array of interesting soups and the fact that we have yet to try one we didn't like. However, I wasn't sure how this would translate into a cookbook as sometimes recipes invented for large scale production don't taste the same when you pair back the yield to something more appropriate for the average home cook like myself. I also wondered if they would leave out some of their more interesting recipes. Thankfully, neither of my fears were founded. The recipes I have tried to date taste just as good as anything I have had in their restaurant and are just as interesting.

The thing that sets this book apart from others I have tried is the sheer variety of interesting recipes. Sure most books cover the basics, but this also includes some very inventive combinations in addition to the classics. And every soup has been very layered in flavor and complex tasting. My personal favorite is the author's take on spanakopita in soup form. It's rich and delicious and quite unlike any soup I've ever had. The eggplant parm soup is also unbelievable. I first tried it in the restaurant and the cookbook version is identical. I also quite enjoyed the Roasted Beet and Pear Soup with Blue Cheese. I'm not normally a huge beet fan but this soup won me over. Overall, you get a breadth of recipes that not only sound good on paper, but work out perfectly when you cook them at home.

The ingredients used are also very easy to find in the average supermarket so you shouldn't run into the problem of wanting to make a delicious soup but having no access to the raw materials. I highly recommend this for anyone who wants to expand their soup repetoire beyond the usual standards.

ETA on 11/13/13: It's nearly six years later and I wanted to update this review to say I still very much enjoy cooking from this book. I've continued to try more recipes including Potato, Bacon and Chive Soup with Horseradish, Pumpkin and White Bean Soup, Tortilla and Butternut Squash Soup with Green Chiles, Cauliflower, Potato and Cheese Soup, Potato Crab and Gorgonzola Soup, and Butternut Squash Soup with Calvados, Gorgonzola Cheese and Prosciutto and all have turned out delicious. I still have yet to find a single dud in the book and look forward to trying the recipes I have yet to make.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Soup for Everyone, September 17, 2007
I am in love with this book. Many of my co-workers and I consider it a special treat on days we get to lunch at the New England Soup Factory (their Chili Con Carne is our collective favorite), so I was ecstatic to find a copy of their recipe book while browsing the bookstore over the weekend. And, yes, the Chili Con Carne recipe is included!

There are so many mouth-watering, rich, unique and comfort-food soups that I had a hard time deciding what to make first. From Potato, Crab and Gorgonzola to Apple, Onion and cheddar--they all sound so good! I decided on a vegetarian option: Spinach, Feta Cheese, and Toasted Pine Nut Soup. Not only was it delicious, but it was easy to make.

In addition to the seasonal soups, Druker has included a chapter of sandwiches and salads which are just as appetizing as the soups. (For example; The Fallwich, with sweet potatoes, cranberry mayonnaise, turkey and cashews.)

I know what I'll be getting my whole family for Christmas this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, November 12, 2007
I made one of the tomato soups the first day I got the book. It used roasted tomatoes and was absolutely delicious. The recipes are generally very healthy and could be more so if you made some simple substitutions. Soups are a great way to get my family to eat more vegetables and a convenient way to eat; easy to make in advance, freeze and reheat. I have never been to the restaurant but I'll bet it's amazing. The soups are inventive but not fussy or complicated, perfect for a home cook.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite cookbooks, October 14, 2009
karl michalko (rochester, ny USA) - See all my reviews
Full disclosure: I love soup. So my review is inherently biased. But you want this cookbook. These recipes are easy, most of them are delicious, relatively healthy and a good mix of omnivore and vegetarian recipes. I wish every soup had its own picture but the pictures that are there are very well-done. There are no weird, hard-to-find ingredients and no over the top techniques best left to the pros or serious amateurs. In fact, if you are looking for a cooking challenge, this book will bore you. If i had time to make my own stock I could chastise her for her technique for adding bouillon cubes to "home-made" stock but I don't, so I won't. I use store-bought stock and the soups are still delicious. There are recipes in the back for sandwiches that look and sound really good but I have had so much fun making soup that I haven't done any of those.
The very first soup I made was a lima bean soup. I hate lima beans but I loved that soup. In retrospect, I'm not sure why I chose that as my first recipe out of this book but I'm glad I did as it has made me open to trying recipes I wouldn't normally bother with. The book is well organized starting with various stock recipes (none of which I have made), then chicken soups, tomato soups, chowders, and then by season. The summer soups are mostly cold fruit soups- not my thing- and I haven't made any. The ones I made that I will make again and again: 1. Eggplant parmesan soup - it's worth buying this book just for this recipe it's that good. 2. Black bean and sausage- outstanding. 3. Mulligatawny- so, so very good. Now I know why Seinfeld made an episode just about this soup.
I love this book and use it once a week when the weather is getting cooler. There's no attitude in this book. Some authors make you feel like a failure for not making stock or implying that soup made without it isn't even worth making. This author doesn't. No special equipment is necessary but you will likely need a new soup pot. These recipes make a lot of soup. Most are for twelve servings so get a big pot or halve the recipe. An immersion blender comes in handy but a regular blender will suffice. I used this book as an excuse to get an immersion blender and it's now my favorite kitchen gadget of all. I need to write a review of that too. Other than that, buy this book and make some soup!

5.0 out of 5 stars Now that I have the book, I make all my favorite soups!, November 2, 2007
My husband and I have been frequent NE Soup Factory customers for years. So imagine how excited I was when I walked in to the Newton store and saw the book. The manager saw me flipping through the pages and he looked at me and said "It's in there." and I said "No, it can't be," and he said "Yes, it's in there." and Lo and behold, my favorite Greek Orzo, Lemon, and Chicken Soup, perfect if you are feeling under the weather, was in the book. I bought it on the spot. What I love most about having the recipes is that we can tailor the book to our dietary preferences- eliminate cream, use vegetable broth instead of meat-based broths, use box broths in a pinch, reduce butter, and the taste is just as great! Meanwhile, have I made my favorite? Nope, but I've made two batches of vegetarian mulligatawny soup, the sweet potato and carmalized onion soup, the puree root vegetable....I will work my way through all winter....They may have lost a store customer but I plan on buying the book for friends and family for the holidays. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars One Dish Dinners That Are Gourmet Family Pleasers...sandwiches, salads, spreads, breads and dressings too!, December 2, 2009
One would be hard pressed not to find several dishes in this cookbook that aren't a favorite. There is a wide variety of soups and stews from:

Fresh and Summery: such as Chilled Beet and Raspberry Soup

Hearty:(meat subs can be used. Try the Cheddar Corn Chowder with Bacon & Scallions, Country Split Pea Soup with Bacon and Potatoes, Chili Con Carne, Porcini Mushroom Soup, Cauliflower Potato & Cheese Soup, Asparagus Potato and Herb Soup...

Holiday Friendly: We like to serve soup on Thanksgiving and Christmas by hollowing out small pumpkins and cutting off the top half and then serving soup to each person inside the small pumpkin with roasted pumpkin seeds on top. Or using one large pumpkin as the tureen. It has a wow factor and the soup can be made in advance and simply reheated to cut down on holiday cooking the "day of" yet still provide a gourmet course. Here are some good choices: Pumpkin, Lobster, & Ginger Soup, Pumpkin and Cranberry Soup (our favorite for the holidays), Yellow Split Pea Soup with Pumpkin, or Sweet Potato Soup with Carmelized Onions.

Chicks dig it: Some favorite chicken soups: (meat subs can be used.)Chicken Tortellini Soup, Holiday Chicken Soup, Grandma's Chicken Soup with Matzo Balls,Chicken and Butternut Squash Soup.

A few other faves worth noting: Roasted Yellow Pepper and Lobster Soup, Lobster Bisque, Italian Vegetable Soup with Rice, Roasted Tomato and Butternut Squash Soup, Spinach Feta Cheese and Toasted Pine Nut Soup, Italian Vegetable Soup with Rice

Want a full meal? The author also has recipes for sandwiches, spreads (try the cranberry mayo for turkey sandwiches or wraps!), dressings, salads and breads.

I often make soup on the weekend to continue with leftovers during the workweek for dinner, but then add in sides of a half a sandwich or salad, or even both with a small cup of soup. This cookbook allows for just that idea.

The instructions are easy to follow, the ingredients used are typically very easy to locate and not too exotic but the soups really are full of flavor and taste. There are no processed ingredients yet most soups are hardly time consuming in preparation.

The recipe book will provide everything from creamy to hearty to broth-based to chilled soups so it allows for great meals year round.

Negatives: It's not a lengthy cookbook at just over 100 recipes...had it been longer and contained nutritional info I would have easily given in 5 stars. However, I can't fault it much as the taste is solid and that, after all, is why we cook. Great recipes that work flawlessly...

Conclusion: A great cookbook. Will make anyone wanna eat their veggies!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Soups and The Best Recipes, September 11, 2007
This is an exceptionally fine recipe book. One of the best I've ever read and we own hundreds of them. By all means, buy this book for yourself and buy one as a very unique, completely excellent book for someone else.

I've eaten at the Soup Factory many times. It has an outstanding reputation in the metro Boston / New England area.

What a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mmmmmm!, September 21, 2007
Prior to finding the actual New England soup factory, I did not like soup. Now, I am addicted. I was thrilled when I walked in and found that Marjorie was willing to share her recipes with the rest of us. BTW -- the Carrot Ginger soup is amazing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Flu Chaser Soup Alone is Worth Price of Admission, January 3, 2010
Never been to NESF restaurants, but thought this book looked good, and it was so highly rated I thought I'd give it a try. I'm a big time soup fan. (BTW, bought the Kindle version - I wouldn't recommend cookbooks in Kindle format.) The book is really great and the recipes are solid. I made the artichoke bisque (with WAY less cheese and milk instead of cream - I like soup to be a healthful meal, not a heart attack in a bowl). It was still delicious with those modifications. Also made the Italian Vegetable Rice, and it was fine - nothing extraordinary, and something I could whip up on my own (and probably better). Also made the Chicken Rice Flu Chaser, and wow, what a combination of flavors - I was SO skeptical about the cinnamon, but bit the bullet and put in half, tasted the broth and then added the rest! The combination of the lemon juice, lemon zest, cayenne, cinnamon, and mint (I used fresh instead of dried - what's THAT about??), makes this soup addictive. Also it is aptly named - really does seem like it's clearing your entire respiratory system. All in all, a nice book with some really solid recipes - but most are not very health conscious and require modification if that's your goal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, a real range of DIFFERENT soup recipes!, April 12, 2008
M. Sand (The Middle of Nowhere, USA) - See all my reviews
I haven't tried many of the recipes in the book yet, but so far so good! I picked the book based on all the other positive reviews, and from what I have seen so far they are very accurate. Almost all the recipes in the book look very appealing and I suspect the ones that don't appeal to me probably would to someone else (we all have our favorite or less then favorite ingredients!) The ones I have tried are delicious and I have a long list of other ones to try. I just finished making the spinach, feta cheese, and toasted pine nut soup. I was actually making it to have around the house for lunches this week but I tasted a bit when I finished and I'm just going to have to have it for dinner now! Yum! So far I have found everything very easy to make and the ingredients are easy to find with out a hassle at the grocery store. Its also been easy to make small changes to the recipes to make a few of them a little healthier. (I'm trying to do the Mediterranean diet thing, whole grains, lots of veggies, light on the meat, heavy creams, etc.) For example the soup I just made called for cream. I ended up just leaving it out because it was already a great texture and very tasty already. But I think the recipe would have been great with the cream or with half or whatever. Anyhow, if you like soup this one is worth buying!

$24.99 $17.86