Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on October 25, 2011
I had the revised GRE last week. I guess as most GRE takers, you want to do your best to prepare, and as ETS changed their format, you are left only with the POWERPREPP II. At this point I must say that the POWERPREPP II is an excellent preparation and you should also download all the material from the ETS website and make sure you understand all the concepts as they will be asked on the test!

On the contrary, the Kaplan Math workbook is just not good at that! It will only add to your frustration.
Firstly, it DOES NOT cover all the new additions in the revised GRE, i.e. Statistics. They just changed the name of the title!!
Secondly, it is full of errors. These include questions that suffer from ambiguity, which ETS will never pose, and just plain WRONG answers.
Thirdly, if you choose to work on the CD, you will notice typesetting errors.
Lastly, the questions are either dumb or complicated for the sake of being complicated. It looks that Kaplan did not invest a lot of their time to come up with these questions.

So why two stars and not one star? I guess there was merit in finding mistakes in Kaplan's questions.
To conclude, I would not recommend buying this!
44 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2012
I just took the GRE this week and lucky for me I used additional study materials to prep because I don't even want to think what kind of score I would have received had i solely relied on this Kaplan book. The math on the GRE is much more difficult than the math you will encounter in this book. Its good for brushing up on basic math concepts if it has been awhile since your last math class but don't rely on this for practice problems. Magoosh.com is a really good online prep system for practice problems. I highly recommend it.
on January 20, 2012
I certainly did better on the GRE having studied with this book than if I had done no preparation at all. I started with the second part of the book which reviews basic math, algebra, and geometry. There are tons of practice problems, which are divided into basic, intermediate, and advanced categories. The first half of the book explains the different question types and has six full-length practice sections. I was satisfied with the number of practice problems and the layout of the book.

What bothered me is that I consistently scored almost 100% correct on all of their practice sections. I went to the GRE confident that I would do very well. I was surprised by how unprepared I was to answer many of the more challenging questions. Kaplan's book does not do enough preparation for statistics questions or very difficult geometry questions, which is an unfortunate thing to learn when you're in the middle of taking the test. I did get a good score but not as good as my practice test scores indicated I should have gotten.

This book is also full of typos and errors, which is very frustrating when you're trying to learn a new math concept, and you don't know whether the answer key is trustworthy. I found at least a dozen. It needs some serious editing.

I didn't use any other materials besides the ETS practice test to prepare, so I can't compare it to other popular books. However, if you do decide to use this, I suggest coupling it with something else.
on December 30, 2011
Ok I started out with the The Ultimate Math Refresher for the GRE, GMAT, and SAT which is a great basic math review. The Kaplan Math Workbook is my secondary guide and I like that it breaks the problems down by level of difficulty. While the book suggests you do the GRE Practice Problems 1st and then review the topics that you need to I would ONLY reccommend that for someone who has strong math skills. I would do the practice sets in the Math Review FIRST and then go to the front of the book for the Quantative set in the GMAT format. Just my two cents.

Oh and I gave the book only 4 stars because some of the explanations are not very clear. Then again, I am NOT a math genius so I pay just need a greater explanation than the average person studying for the GRE.
on January 30, 2012
This prep book does a few things absolutely right, but there is no doubt that it falls short.

First the good - every concept that appears on the quantitative reasoning section is perfectly explained at a level that is effective for its target audience. Going through the book, I constantly furrowed my brow at a confusing problem, flipped to the solution, and only had to read a few lines before saying "ohh of course!" And this is an efficient method if the goal is to study intensely and achieve the highest possible score on this section.

However, most of us who are purchasing this remedial review of mathematics (as opposed to taking a class, etc.) are not expecting a perfect score. We merely want an acceptable one. And a better method for this audience would be to explicitly list the harder types of problems that appear on the test. I know that this can be a bit subjective, but it is necessary for people like me who shouldn't be memorizing the quadradic formula. Such an emphasis was placed on quadradics and fractions covered in exponents! I did not encounter a single question that required the quadradic formula on the test. Meanwhile, Kaplan only devoted a page or two to factorials - something that haunted me on test day, showing up in 5 or 6 questions (it seemed.)

But it earns a solid 3 stars. I got a 156 on the math section, having practiced no math for six years.
on December 20, 2012
Advantages:
*Has hundreds of practice problems with sets of 30 for each new concept that are ranked beginner, intermediate, and advanced. This allows you to skip the easy ones if you just need to focus on the harder word problems.
*Has six 20-question practice problem sets to be able to do timed practice tests to become better at managing your time as you will need to do on the actual GRE
*Explains certain concepts better than ETS review material - powers & roots in particular
*Has detailed explanations for EVERY SINGLE practice problem and example, helps you know what you did wrong

Weaknesses:
*Order/structure of the book seems weird - the practice tests should come at the end (they placed them near the front), the review should come first instead of in the last chapter, and the explanation and examples should go in the middle. Not a problem if you just don't work through the book from front to back but instead review, do practice problems, and then do the practice tests
*Only reviews math concepts, offers no strategies for test-taking
*The "review" section is worthless if you are needing to teach or reteach yourself a concept. It's basically just a list of formulas. The free materials on the ETS website are far better for review and refreshing your memory on how to solve problems.

Overall, this book was great for having lots of practice problems to work through. After actually taking the GRE, though, I felt the questions on the real test were far more difficult than the questions in this book. Doing the practice tests gave me a false sense of my abilities and preparedness; the problems they list as advanced are not nearly as difficult as the ones on the actual GRE.
on July 9, 2013
I used this book, took the GRE just once, and aced it. I would definitely recommend it. But, I would also recommend making sure that you actually time yourself and work through the harder sections. I ended up running out of time on the second math section of the GRE, and I feel like timing myself on the harder sections (which I do not do) would have prepared my a lot better.
on April 26, 2016
Outdated but useful. I wouldn't rely on this book as your sole source of information for the GRE. A lot of the information is outdated. But if you have been years removed from having any kind of math in your life, this helps get you going in the right direction. I would still consider buying another more updated book or taking a class to help as well. This isn't great just on its own.
on February 4, 2014
The book provides advice and tips for the GRE, but when I sat down to take the test I didn't recognize anything. The book didn't represent the format and flow of the actual test, which didn't help at all. The math portion in particular was not represented accurately in the book, from what I can tell.
on February 12, 2013
Horrible book. I had to go through a problem to see why I got it wrong. It turns out the answer key doesn't think 48 is greater than 36 and less than 60. I want my money back.

I've been using it for two days, gone through 36 pages, and this is the second error I've found.