This review is specifically for the verbal section of the New GRE

Published on July 8, 2011 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars No thanks.
There are some useful exercises in here, but ultimately I would recommend saving up for an online tutoring product like Barrons.
Published on October 17, 2012 by Schmooz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book for the GRE Revised General Test- combine it with New GRE Premier, July 8, 2011
Amazon Customer (New delhi, India) - See all my reviews
This review is specifically for the verbal section of the New GRE

I had already purchased Kaplan's new GRE Premier and ETS The official Guide to the GRE Revised General Test. ETS gives the right picture about how the test will be like. I couldn't find questions of high difficulty level in any book, but ETS Guide. Since there are just two practice tests in the ETS, you obviously need to practice a lot of questions in order to be well prepared.

Kaplan's approach to the Verbal Section for the New GRE is the best. You should combine it with Kaplan New GRE Premier which gives you 10 practice sets in their CD and two practice tests inside the book for verbal section though New GRE Premier doesn't have a good Maths section)- This book- Kaplan Verbal Workbook, has many questions which are very much close to the ones that I found in ETS; that means Kaplan meets the standards of real exam. When I saw the sample question for the verbal part on the ETS website, I found that comprehension questions are a bit more difficult now. Kaplan Verbal Workbook has come with questions that one might expect in the real GRE Exam and it gives a good practice. Although there are not enough books in the market for the New GRE exam (Barron's, kaplan and ETS are the only reliable sources), I believe this book will be enough. The number of practice tests are quite a lot! And that's what I wanted. Usually GRE books are huge and are filled with too many general explanations with the overview of the exam. We obviously know what the exam is and Verbal section is more about practice. SO, I just wanted to practice questions and this books wil really help me. I recommend this book to anyone who is preparing for the New GRE exam with a focus on Verbal section.

One another great thing about this book is how they deal with the vocabulary part. We all know that it's not possible to mug up the entire world list. And I am not a BIG FAn of learning the vocab by the WORD ROOT! That never helped me. Here, Kaplan Verbal Workbook has grouped words of similar meaning together. For example: the word chicancery means deception by craft, so all those words which mean the same are grouped under chicancery. Even I tried this strategy when I began preparing for GRE and one has to spend a lot of time in doing that. So the book has made that job easy. This will really avoid any confusion between words which have similar meaning.

My exam is on AUgust 2, 2011. I will write more after I experience the real exam :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tool, November 24, 2011
This review is from: New GRE Verbal Workbook (Kaplan GRE) (Paperback)
This book is definitely helpful, and if you study long and hard it goes by quickly. I started the book with rather poor scores, around 153-154/170 on most practice sets. by the end I was up to around 168, and I have even received a perfect score on one of the sets. my actual GRE didn't reflect as high of a score (164/170), so I won't go out on a limb here and say that this is a perfectly accurate tool for gauging your final score. But it did indicate when I was improving. I would advise, however, that even when you begin to score extremely well in these kaplan practice sets that you do not consider yourself done with verbal study. Keep going with vocab and other practice sets in different prep books. My score wasn't as high as I had hoped for, and if I do end up having to retake the GRE, I will focus even harder on vocabulary.

If you are struggling with comprehension questions, it would greatly benefit you to begin studying far in advance of your test day by frequently reading quality publications in your free time. Read The New York Review of Books, Truthdig, The Economist, etc. and LOOK UP and LEARN every word you can't define immediately. If you have a Kindle, subscribe to the new york review of books, and when you read it, you can instantly look up the definition of words you don't know. That simple! You can tell I worked really hard to achieve a decent verbal score. This book is a decent tool to help gauge where you stand with the verbal section and I would highly recommend it in addition to other practice sets.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, a good book for additional practice problems, August 31, 2012
Bikes With The Fishes (Portland, Oregon USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New GRE Verbal Workbook (Kaplan GRE) (Paperback)
I just took the GRE and scored in the 85th percentile on the verbal section. Here is what I used:

I bought this Kaplan book later in my GRE studies as I was still struggling with the comprehensive reading, and some vocab. The book itself is mostly useful for having additional practice problems although it doesn't get too in depth regarding strategy (see my review of the Manhattan book below). Most of the practice problems seemed moderate to slightly challenging level of difficulty, so should suffice for the GRE.

Here are the other verbal workbooks that I used as well:

I did use the Barron's GRE Verbal Workbook Barron's GRE Verbal Workbook and while I found it useful for it's large amount of practice problems, I found some of the vocab words used as answers were less common that what I saw either on the GRE or on other practice problems and practice tests. With this noted, I still recommend using this book as some of these practice questions seem more difficult than other books.

I did use Manhattan's Reading Comprehension and Essay GRE Strategy Book as well. Reading Comprehension & Essays GRE Strategy Guide, 3rd Edition (Manhattan Prep Strategy Guides). The best thing I got from this book is learning how to take brief notes while reading over the reading passages on the GRE. Taking notes helps to reinforce what you are reading, a technique not talked about very often by other books. The practice problems in this book are decent, but nothing above that. I do wish they could have put more practice problems in this book (like the Kaplan Verbal Workbook), but there is still useful content here. If you are struggling with the analytical writing section, there are some good tips on this section as well.

One final note about both practicing your verbal, but also your math/quantitative: do as many practice tests as you can!!! When you purchase a book (any book I believe) from Manhattan, you get an access code to 6 full length online practice tests. I found these practice tests VERY VERY USEFUL for getting comfortable with the GRE format but also applying all of the verbal and math skills I was practicing. Most of the questions are very similar in difficulty to what you will see and you can review your questions as well. By the way, always review problems you get wrong, this is really important! For Kaplan, you have to purchase the Kaplan Premiere GRE review book to get the disc with access to 10 verbal practice tests and 10 quantitative practice tests. Like the Manhattan, I found these practice tests VERY VERY useful. Do yourself a favor, and get access to both the Manhattan and the Kaplan practice tests It will help immensely!

Finally, as for vocab words, I used both the Manhattans 500 Essential Words Flash Cards 500 Essential Words: GRE Vocabulary Flash Cards as well as the Manhattan 500 Advanced Words Flash Cards 500 Advanced Words: GRE Vocabulary Flash Cards. After making it through both of these sets of flash cards, I felt like I had a fairly good vocabulary for the GRE and did see many of these words on the test.

With this noted, if you do have additional time after finishing these two sets of flash cards, I **HIGHLY RECOMMEND** that you learn the 300 or so most common root words for the GRE as well. Root words are very helpful in deciphering words that you don't know that will come up on the GRE. I found Barron's Essential Words for the GRE book Essential Words for the GRE (Barron's GRE) to be a good source for this, although I'm sure you can find these same root words in the Kaplan or related books as well. And while 300 root words seems like a lot of words to learn, you will probably know some/many of these words already, so fear not! There doesn't seem to be a good set of root word flash cards out there, so I ended up making my own, which was fine. One last note about learning root words: they will also help to strengthen and reinforce the vocab words you already know or are learning from both sets of the Manhattan cards. Learn your root words!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great companion to Kaplan New GRE Premier w/CD, September 12, 2011
This review is from: New GRE Verbal Workbook (Kaplan GRE) (Paperback)
When I first began studying for the GRE, I bought the Kaplan New GRE Premier w/CD, and after using this for a while, it was clear that I needed extra help on the verbal. So I ended up getting this book, which was a great decision. I feel like practice is what helped me most, and this book provides additional practice sets and strategies that are not in the Premier version. But it definitely helps to have the CD with additional practice sets which comes with the Premier. Overall if you need help with the Verbal section, this book is pretty good. Granted, it's not perfect- I still came across words that I was unfamiliar with on the actual GRE, but thanks to the word groups and word roots strategies, I was able to pull a much better score than I think I would have gotten without it. For those of you who also need help with the Math, I recommend CliffsNotes Math Review for Standardized Tests. I got that even though Math is my strong suit. So using all these study aids, I got a 680-780 on Verbal and 750-800 on Math (they just give you a range on the old scores since the new scoring system is not refined yet I believe).

All in all, this book is a great supplement to help with your studying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of extra practice, good price, August 23, 2012
This review is from: New GRE Verbal Workbook (Kaplan GRE) (Paperback)
I was debating between getting the Kaplan Verbal Workbook or Barron's Verbal Workbook because I felt I needed extra verbal practice. They were only around $10 each so I ended up getting both. I am glad I did; they did not end up being redundant and both provided me with the extra practice I needed.

Here are the salient features of each book:

Kaplan Verbal Workbook:
-More questions
-Better explanations of answers (in general)
-has a list of word groups (groups of words with similar meaning)
-has a list of word roots
-has a section about the essay part of the exam (somewhat helpful, but not as helpful as the Princeton Review's essay section in their General Review book, which provides a template for the essays)

Barron's Verbal Workbook:
-More difficult questions (these will really challenge you)
-Not as good explanations
-More difficult reading comprehension passages
-a huge "GRE dictionary" in the back which includes the definition of the word as well as an example sentence
-no extra essay section

For vocabulary, I bought Barron's Essential Words for the GRE, which included 800 words, and used it as my foundation (you can check out my Amazon review on that). The GRE dictionary section in Barron's Verbal Workbook contained waaaaaaaay more than those 800, so I just skimmed it for words I didn't know, extracted them, and studied them as a list for additional vocabulary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best New GRE Verbal Workbook, October 9, 2011
This review is from: New GRE Verbal Workbook (Kaplan GRE) (Paperback)
I've recently purchased Kaplan's New GRE Verbal Workbook and I am very pleased with its format and the detail of the information it provides. It gives you basic strategies for successfully answering all the different types of questions that the New GRE has introduced in its Verbal Sections; and beleive me they are a lot. Then it provides you with a set of detailed examples followed by a group of questions from Basic to Advanced that are solved by using the strategies you've just learned. It also has 6 full length Verbal Practice Sets exactly in the same format as the true Verbal Sections of the New GRE with detailed solutions provided in the end of the book. Finally, it has extensive vocabulary with drills and exercises helping you understand it and a thorough analysis of the Issue and Argument Essay writing topics.

I fully endorse this product as the ideal one for the GRE Verbal Reasoning Preparation. The New GRE Verbal Workbook (Kaplan GRE Verbal Workbook) is indeed a student's dream come true. Kaplan has really done a good job this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent resource for Verbal preparation, February 26, 2014
This review is from: New GRE Verbal Workbook (Kaplan GRE) (Paperback)
I used this workbook as my primary resource for preparing for the GRE. In retrospect, I probably did not need to purchase any others, especially since the Math portion of the test was not relevant for me.

This book breaks down each type of question on the Verbal section of the GRE, presents strategy tips, and follows with practice questions. There are also full verbal practice sets, an essay guide, and various exercises and guides for vocabulary improvement. I was really impressed with the breadth of the book. Some of the strategy explanations seem sophomoric, but where the book really shines is in the explanations in the answer guides following the practice sets. They go through every option and explain why each wrong answer is wrong, which helped me to hone my test-taking prowess. I also found the vocabulary guides very helpful, especially the collection of the most common GRE words grouped by word root.

It appears that this book has now been replaced by a new edition, which I can only assume has all the best of this book, though they may have made some changes. You will find, if you purchase other Kaplan GRE guides, that the strategy tips are the same from one to the next, so this may only be useful to use as extra practice or for the vocabulary exercises and lists. Still, it's much easier to carry around than the fatter books, so you'll be glad to have it if you study on the go.

At any rate, I ended up scoring a 170 on the Verbal section of the test, and wishing I hadn't wasted so much time on practice sets. I think this book was somewhat weaker for the essay portions of the test; unlike ETS' official guide, it doesn't have examples of "bad" essays, and the formula is helpful for breaking down your time but the rest falls short. I ended up scoring a 5.0 on the essay portion and didn't have a clear idea of why I'd gotten that score (the essays are scored out of 6.0).

1.0 out of 5 stars OVERLY GENERIC IN EXPLAINING THINGS, February 14, 2014
This review is from: New GRE Verbal Workbook (Kaplan GRE) (Paperback)
IT IS VERY GENERIC AT EXPLAINING VOCABULARY... NOT A KAPLAN FAN ON THIS TITLE OF THIS BOOK.
I FOUND OTHER RESOURCES THAT I THOUGHT WERE MUCH BETTER FOR TEST TAKING.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, January 31, 2014
This review is from: New GRE Verbal Workbook (Kaplan GRE) (Paperback)
Needed this text for school, it actually turned out to be pretty good and I would recommend for others learning about the topic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good review for the verbal, December 21, 2013
This review is from: New GRE Verbal Workbook (Kaplan GRE) (Paperback)
This book is pretty decent as review for the verbal section of the new GRE. It has sections for each major part of the new GRE. This book isn't necessary as a good chunk of the stuff is on the GRE maker's website but the vocabulary part is useful.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

New GRE Verbal Workbook (Kaplan GRE)
New GRE Verbal Workbook (Kaplan GRE) by Kaplan (Paperback - April 26, 2011)
Used & New from: $0.01