Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

New HBO readers beware: This series will never be finished

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 111 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 19, 2011 11:12:31 AM PDT
Mr. Martin wrote three of the most amazing fantasy novels ever created between 1996 and 2000. Over the past 11 years he's released exactly one half-a-novel (missing the main key perspectives in the story) that does nothing to move the plot lines forward from the conclusion of the 3rd installment, and leaves the main characters hanging in limbo. Just look at the reviews for installment 4: A Feast for Crows.

As such, many of George's early readers from the late 90's and early '00's have been waiting 11 years for the next Jon, Tyrion, or Dany chapter who are the main characters central to the story.

New Readers beware: Martin no longer makes a concerted effort to finish this story, and only writes on it when he feels like it. He's moved on to other projects, namely his Wild Cards series, HBO show promotion, and numerous fantasy anthologies. He attends approximately 6 sci-fi/fantasy conventions and takes approximately 60 vacation days per year. Just look at his Not-a-blog to see what he truly values.

He's extremely dishonest with new readers and current fans by telling anyone that will listen that the series is his #1 priority, and that he's worked supposed '12 hour days' on the series over the past decade, which is laughable.

He publicly berates his fans for being impatient, declares that he owes them nothing, and has announced that 'You see, you cant please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.' when discussing his lack of progress on the series over the past decade when taken into context with his other projects.

He's made it very clear that that he's much more interested in his side projects, than the story that made him famous. For the upcoming book, A Dance with Dragons, he's broken numerous deadlines since 2000, and in January 2008 informed his readership that deadlines on the project were beneath him, and that it would be completed 'soon'.

Even after A Dance with Dragons, there are two more novels to be written to bring the Song of Ice and Fire to a conclusion, and considering that GRRM's attitude and the fact that he's 62 and grossly overweight, there are no guarantees that he'll ever be done with the series.

So buyer beware, understand that if you purchase book 1 that GRRM owes you nothing, does not make an concentrated effort to finish this story, and will probably die before this series is completed. If you value your money, and detest unfinished epics, I'd suggest picking this up from the library.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2011 8:29:52 PM PDT
Dan R. says:
Paul,

You stated 2 books to finish the story, I say possibly 4, due to the splitting up of the last two, he may split the next ones also. Which makes your comments more relevant.Only time, and lots of it, will tell.

Posted on Mar 20, 2011 4:01:06 PM PDT
S. Sorensen says:
Add this to the fact that HBO will probably cancel the series mid-way through anyway. Anyone remember Carnivale?

Posted on Mar 20, 2011 9:12:18 PM PDT
Too right.

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 4:53:51 PM PDT
To The New Readers of George R. R. Martin,

Don't believe these people posting here. These folks have already pre-ordered the 5th book and if not would be lining up days before in front of the B & N bookstore.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2011 4:18:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 29, 2011 4:24:48 PM PDT
J. Whelan says:
V. Maciarola, why are you telling them not to believe the other posters? What exactly, do you want them to not believe?

Nobody said they would or would not order the book, so your comments on that subject are nothing more than ad-hominem attack against people you do not know. Certainly, one who has already read 3,000+ pages in a series might feel a little invested in it, and curious about what comes next. That does not mean they cannot honestly warn new readers that a Game of Thrones (a) is not a novel but rather an installment in a multi-volume mega-novel; (b) that mega-novel is unfinished; (c) that, at the current rate, the mega-novel will probably never be finished, or at best be completed in some future decade, possibly by a different author.

Posted on Mar 31, 2011 12:07:33 PM PDT
Sorry V,

I'm buying this from the bookseller shortly after release, and then will be promptly returning with the receipt. Now way am I giving GRRM any more money after the abomination that was Feast taken together with his unprofessional and inconsistent behavior over the past decade. Count me out.

I encourage others that actually care about the ending of this series to do the same.

Posted on Apr 15, 2011 8:12:34 AM PDT
oh boy, I'm half way through the 3rd book and this thread is making me VERY nervous! Perhaps book 5 will set all things aright.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2011 11:28:47 AM PDT
Ku says:
Enjoy the book man! It is really good ! It is true that Feast is not the best one on the saga and some of the chapters are a bit bland and feels a bit like fillers, the thing is that Martin may have not been satisfied about where the story was going and decided to re-plot and re-write some stuff that may be the reason that A dance hast taken so long to be finally finished. For me this tells me that the author really is invested in his work rather than publish another bland book he took his time to do it right. We shall find out in July, so keep reading and enjoy the story.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2011 11:36:30 AM PDT
Ku says:
I would prefer to think that he has taken his time to write one that is as good as the earlier ones, I agree with you Dan, we will find with time. So I hope that in July we shall recieve a great book and all those fans that are angry at Martin will consider to forgive his tardiness.

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 2:00:14 PM PDT
MJG says:
End or no end, it is still a great story. And I was very pleased with the HBO offering, considering the overabundance of material they had to contend with.

If he doesn't finish it, I'll make up my own ending. I've already pretty much done that. Hope I get to compare it to GRRM's ending.

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 9:05:25 PM PDT
pandalee says:
Reading this scares me. I don't like it when authors start series and then decide to tank them. I've been through this already with Clive Barker and his Books of the Art - and I went through this with Dune (although there is a major difference between an unfinished story due to laziness, vs. due to death of the author).

Thank you in advance for the warning. I will keep this in mind while continuing reading the book (i'm about 25% into it), and while watching the mini-series.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2011 3:13:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2011 3:14:22 AM PDT
kete says:
"oh boy, I'm half way through the 3rd book and this thread is making me VERY nervous! Perhaps book 5 will set all things aright. "

How so? Even if it doesn't suck like Feast, it will still only be one more installment of an unfinished saga.

I'll buy book five only used because like the thread-starter I refuse to further support the fat man and his attitude.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2011 4:07:24 AM PDT
ttscook says:
Thanks good to know even though I've just ordered book 1 to follow along with the HBO series, not having known about this series previously. Not actually committed to the the entire series yet - although I do have to say that I really am tired of authors who forget that it is their readers who have made them rich AND famous...their arrogance astounds me. Had I read this before ordering the book from Amazon, I certainly would have done my best to get it second hand to prevent GRRM from receiving yet another undeserved royalty in view of his disrespectful attitude towards those who made him what he is. He owes readers nothing? Man, get a clue.

Posted on Apr 19, 2011 10:21:11 AM PDT
D. Isakov says:
I personally will wait until the series is complete (be it 2, 3, or 4 more books) before before I purchase any other of his writing (blog, book, or otherwise) or contribute in any way, shape, or form to his income. Whatever his excuse was, I feel completely betrayed and unappreciated by this author. I can understand the lack of series completion if you have a valid excuse (RIP Robert Jordan), but to not complete a series just because you don't feel like it has earned him total loss of respect and patronage from me. I have supreme respect for Robert Jordan who cared enough for his fan base to ensure there were notes left behind that would enable another author (go Brandon Sanderson!) to complete it for us. GRRM (and sadly Melanie Rawn) should take lessons from Robert Jordan!

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 9:27:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2011 8:30:12 AM PDT
"Martin no longer makes a concerted effort to finish this story, and only writes on it when he feels like it. He attends approximately 6 sci-fi/fantasy conventions and takes approximately 60 vacation days per year"

"... and considering that GRRM's attitude and the fact that he's 62 and grossly overweight, there are no guarantees that he'll ever be done with the series."

HAHAHAHA you sir, made my morning.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2011 1:47:23 PM PDT
Geoffrey says:
As of 4/20/11, I read on the Huff Post that HBO has renewed Game of Thrones for a second season after just the one premier broadcast. This should be good news for most of you. I wonder if they'll call the second season Game of Thrones tho...

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 10:57:40 AM PDT
P. Hanlon says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 8:15:09 PM PDT
L. MacGregor says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 12:01:57 PM PDT
To play Devil's advocate, the man owns none of you anything, and it's his story, he can tell it or not.
I want to see how this play's out before he dies too, but to say he 'owes' it to any of us to work morning to night to complete this is silly. Believe it or not, money is not at the center of everyone's agenda. If painting and playing with die-cast figurines relaxes him and provides him fuel for the story - let him paint and play!

Granted, Im one of the 'HBO' readers, -I've finished the 1st two books in 2 week's time and will be lucky enough to start book 5 as it hits the shelves while everything is still fresh. And I dont reach much, cause it's boring. But this man's style is so raw and fresh, and realistic that I'm reading 6 hrs a night- and I'll wait for the next installment. But I'd never dare assume this man must now drop everything he's doing to finish the series 'cause I want him to finish it'.
I dont know if there's a 'writers oath' but, on the flip side, a writer should intend to finish what's started - but I hardly think false-threats of boycots and demands to 'hurry up' are going to do it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 12:06:14 PM PDT
MJG says:
Thank you for posting that. I feel that way also, but never wanted to incur the wrath of the "entitlement" posters. You're braver than I am :) and I've been with the story since 1997 (I think.)

Enjoy the show!

Posted on May 2, 2011 1:12:06 PM PDT
Ku says:
I agree! Give the guy a break, it is not an easy book to write. Lets hope a Dance comes out great! Cheers!

Posted on May 2, 2011 1:25:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2011 1:27:04 PM PDT
Ya, figures the 'HBO Reader' would come in here and speak such blasphemy :)
I see the same kind of talk when people are talking about release date of games and such, but in that case they are threatening Publishers and Developers...people who actually do care about money.
But this guy GRRM, he's chillin...roylaties, his name is made, he has nothing to prove...AND he's the only one who knows how this all pans out. Keep up your 'demands' and watch him decide to spend the end of his days writing sci fi - or better yet, how-to-paint on die-cast metals. Ha, that would be a laugh!
I dont have HBO btw =)

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 1:25:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2011 1:45:42 PM PDT
First of all, I never said that he owed me anything, but you must surely see that with serialized installments that there is goodwill on the author's ability and passion to finish the completed story, right? I mean who would start the series otherwise?

Seriously this stopped being 'just his story' when his uncompleted epic made him a multi-millionaire; it's not like he's just writing for art's sake. This is a business now, and as a professional author, he must be held to the standards of the profession, which shockingly includes working under deadlines.

And surely you must be joking about the money thing right? Have you not seen that GRRM has turned in to a simple huckster on his not a blog? Water damaged books and outdated calendars? Merchandise sales and easy money seems to be the only thing that he's been consistent about over the past decade. Or at least since the blog (that he said he was far too busy to maintain) fired up in 2005.

Believe it or not, nobody here is saying that he should drop everything he's doing to finish the series. I just want him to stick to his word when he says it's his #1 priority, stick to his publisher imposed deadlines, and maybe a little bit of contrition and honesty about the delays with the story here and there wouldn't hurt either. It's called professional behavior. But alas, that's not what he's doing. He calls it is #1 priority out of one side of his mouth, then out of the other he calls the story 'Kong' the gigantic monkey on his back, openly states that he doesn't like writing it, works on (and completes) dozens of other side projects, and screened his blog for any comments regarding the book for a good 2-3 years.

Once you finish Feast let's talk. Then let's talk about how the fan base waited 5 years for that very sub-par half-a-book, only to wait another 5+ years for another half-a-book. Seriously, you'll be stunned that Feast is even written by the same author. Literally, nothing happens. 600 pages of nothing, I know, it's shocking. After 3 excellent installments between 1996(AGOT) and 2000(ASOS) he's only produced one full cycle in over a decade. Goodwill only stretches so far, and for me it lasted a good 8+ years.

Posted on May 2, 2011 2:11:47 PM PDT
I cant begin to know the pain of you guys who've been waiting years for the next installment, nor have I read Feast yet.
I'm just a guy who took a look in. And what I saw was a lot of people thinking they were owed something just cause they bought a book or two (or four). If you were stockholders, demanding the timely release of a product, in a company you owed stocks in, then yes, by all means, boycott away.
But unfortunately, until Books 5,6,and 7 say 'Time-Invested Readers and GRRM present'...yes, they are still 'just his story'. No amount of time invested can change that.
I dont look forward to Crows now, (thanks for that :))and I dont look forward to watching my greys grow in waiting for this series to come to an end, but I can still a respect that a man can do whatever we wants with something he truly owns, that's all.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  58
Total posts:  111
Initial post:  Mar 19, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 28, 2013

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire book 1)
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire book 1) by George R. R. Martin (Hardcover - 1996)
4.5 out of 5 stars (8,432)