4.0 out of 5 stars Lacey's Farewell

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a bigger fan of the Old Horizons
Published on October 31, 2012 by Matt Polapink

4.0 out of 5 stars Lacey's Farewell, October 31, 2012
This review is from: New Horizons (Audio CD)
This is Lacey's last album with Flyleaf. I was disappointed that it clocks in at only 36:30. I opened the CD to read the liner notes/lyrics before I popped it in. Instead I got a mini-poster and a list of folks associated with the album. Sigh. So if you are debating on getting the actual CD or downloading it, you're not missing out by saving a few bucks and simply downloading it. Overall the album is solid. I liked it better the second time around, so you may need to listen to it a few times to get into all the songs. There are a few that need to grow on me still. That said, there are some here that will blow you away the very first time! So there you have it. If you're already a Flyleaf fan, you'll like this, if you're new to them and you like the harder stuff go with their first disc, but this one will give you a taste of that one, most notably Call You Out.

Fire Fire: A nice way to kick off the disc. The song is short but has an edge to it.

New Horizons: The first single is more mainstream oriented, but listening to it in the context of the album it seems to fit in well.

Call You Out: Simply the best song on the album! You might think this was on their first (and IMO their best album). It has that hard Flyleaf edge and is Lacey and the band at their best!

Cage On the Ground: Things slow down a bit here. I'm biased, I like Flyleaf better when they're full on straight-ahead. It's certainly not a throw away though.

Great Love: I like the words. The song gets better as it progresses. Listen to it all the way through. It may be one of those songs that has to grow on you.

Bury Your Heart: Wow! Oustanding! I could listen to this song over and over.

Freedom: Another winner! Play it loud!

Saving Grace: My least favorite song on the album. It just doesn't do it for me.

Stand: I like this song, but again, I wish the lyrics were included.

Green Heart: Oh yeah! I guess my worries about Flyleaf losing their edge were unfounded. This smokes!

Broken Wings: A fine closer to the album. It slows things down a bit after the assault of Green Heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tragic, but it was time., November 26, 2012
This review is from: New Horizons (Audio CD)
I've loved Flyleaf since 2007, I started out as the typical fan, I first heard All Around Me, at first for some reason I thought it was Gwen Stefani... I have no idea why, I was in 7th grade when this song was re-released, so please forgive me. I started out as the typical fan, but when I heard more and more songs, I fell a little deeper in-love with them, I fell in love with Lacey's voice, I fell in-love with Pat, Sameer, and Jared's agression of their guitars and bass. And I fell in-love with James drumming rythem. Than one day in 2009 I heard Memento Mori was coming out, so I begged my mom to take me to Best Buy to buy the T-shirt and CD bundle, and it was the best CD I've heard yet. I got to know more about their message, and Lacey's Testimony, and being someone constantly facing family deaths, cancer, and childhood deaths: I've gone to 6 funerals for people under the age of 21, and one of them was my own brother. And so I was regretting being alive for a long time, but whenever I heard her insperational story I felt inspired enough to keep going because (this might sound cheesy, and I don't mean it to be like that) it might get better. It has gotten better, I lost my brother, I say a few children die way to young because of cancer, but it made me realize how short life can be for a lot of us. Than I was impatinetly awaiting the 'New Album' from Flyleaf, because it seemed as if they were working on this album for 2 years. Finally news broke in July 2012, from their twitter and let me tell you I've checked their website, and twitter multiple times a day. I downloaded the single New Horizons, and than in September the other single Call You Out, I pre-ordered the Super Fan bundle on their merch site, but I pre-ordered the CD months in advance on Amazon.

Now for the albums track, and art.

The art is really cool, Pat Seals their bassist made a wood-cut themed album for Remember To Live EP in 2010, along with their cover art for their rendition of "How He Loves" I love how much work went into the album art, I thought the album was going to be the tan color Remember To Live had, but it is so vibrant.

My favorites:

Fire Fire: This song is weird for the first track, I would've started with Call You Out, but I love the song. It just has so much to do with what we say everyday, and think everyday.

New Horizons: The first single, I love the music video, I love message, and the meaning that is covered with. New Horizons: New Start.

Call You Out: A more agressive song, I thought this whole album was going to be a lot like Remember To Live; Calm, and quiet. Absolutley not.

Saving Grace: Has lots to do with Lacey becoming a mother.

Broken Wings: My all time favorite. After becoming much more interested in their music, I searched the whole internet for all the music I could find by them, and I have for the most part, I hace 134 Songs, 17 Albums. I found a bunch of acoustic tracks, live recordings of Tina/Okay, Much Like Falling, Music as a Weapon EP, Holiday songs, Flyleaf (Demos), Heavy Pray, Memento Mori Standard, and Expanded Edition, Courage, All the Singles, Remember To Live, How He Loves, A recording of Lacey's testimony (as of 2009), and New Horizons. I have in physical disk versions: Flyleaf (Demos), Flyleaf (CD/DVD/Ringtone), Memento Mori (2), Remember To Live, and New Horizons.

The reason I say tragic is because Lacey has officially stepped down as lead singer of Flyleaf. That was a mistake, but I understand why. I just sort of wish that they went on a hiatus after this period of touring, instead of Lacey calling it quits. However I am finding myself not being so religous anymore, I am more spiritual now, so I suppose it is for the best, but I will probably check out a song by this new girl. Not to be mean or anything, but you can't just replace a lead singer. It's just going to sound like a Flyleaf Tribune Band.

Anyways thanks for reading,
Kevin

5.0 out of 5 stars Flyleaf's New Horizons, December 14, 2012
This review is from: New Horizons (Audio CD)
This is the most bittersweet album I've heard in a long time, because while every song is excellent, just prior to the album's release Lacey stepped down as lead singer to follow "another path." I was truly shocked and saddened to hear this because out of the many bands that I follow, Flyleaf has been one of the more important ones to me. While the band plans to continue on with a new singer, I just don't see how it could be as good because Lacey's unique vocals and powerful lyrics really set the group apart from everyone else. Anyway, at least she went out with a bang, because this album is as good as anything they've done before. The title track was the first single, and at first I was only slightly put off by it because it sounded very 'pop' to me, but I've grown to like it as Lacey's swan song. While most albums require time to grow on me, this one was full of songs like Fire Fire and Call You Out that brought a grin to my face on the very first listen. The only songs that venture anywhere near Metal territory are Freedom and Green Heart, but most of the album has a more uplifting vibe such as Cage On The Ground, Great Love and Saving Grace. It's a short album, but it's very sweet. Sadly, it also serves as a reminder of what we'll be missing in the future. Still, this has been one of the best rock albums of 2012.

5.0 out of 5 stars Their Best Yet!, December 16, 2012
This review is from: New Horizons [+digital booklet] (MP3 Music)
Instantly loved this cd. I believe it to be their best and also Lacey's finest performance! What a way to go out. When she is on top of her game. Some of her vocal arrangements are outstanding and very catchy. I would give this a perfect 10 out of 10 but the only flaw is the single "New Horizons." Honestly I can't even believe that song made it on the cd. It is def the weakest track on here. So for that poor choice of making it the "single" I give this a 9 out of 10. Great Great Effort and very worshipful! Love iT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Flyleaf album ever, December 14, 2012
This review is from: New Horizons (MP3 Music)
So sad that Lacy is no longer the lead singer of Flyleaf, but I respect hwy she steped down, This is by far the best flyleaf album yet and Lacy sang her heart out. Its a must own for any fan of Flyleaf and any body else looking for amazing music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Release, November 13, 2012
This review is from: New Horizons (Audio CD)
Flyleaf's new album has an appropriate title as it's Lacey Sturm's final album with the band and they will be exploring, well, new horizons.
This is probably Flyleaf's best release to date. The hooks are better, and the choruses just feel stronger. Lacey's vocals have definitely went through a change over the years. She would not be the first screamer to go through a voice change, many a vocalist have damaged their voices screaming, and just have to go with straight singing, which I think is Lacey's case on this album, however her vocals sound incredible on this album. They have a bit of a scratchier sound and feel a little bit more rough, and they sound amazing. Her voice is probably my favorite part on this album, it's most noticeable on the albums heavier songs, Call You Out, Freedom, and Green Heart.
Unfortunately the songs follow the same pattern Flyleaf songs have always followed. Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, end. The structure just leaves some to be desired, I'm always hoping to hear a solid guitar solo or big bridge build up, but it just doesn't happen. Some of the songs, the single New Horizons, as well as Great Love, and Saving Grace almost make me feel like I'm listening to Paramore at times.
Despite the albums low points it's still a solid release from an already solid band, disappointing Lacey is leaving after such a great vocal performance, but there's only so much you can do about that. Some favorites for me are Fire Fire, Call You Out, and Stand. If you like Flyleaf you'll love New Horizons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Crap Flyleaf!!!!, October 30, 2012
This review is from: New Horizons (Audio CD)
Still In amazement with all the songs on this album...
Ive never felt more emotions from any album in my life, Cant stop listening to this cd..
by far theres not a single song on this album i do not like..
Definitely worth the money, the time, and the soul
Support them also! Even though Lacey is gonna be gone after this album.. Flyleaf will remain a good band

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a bigger fan of the Old Horizons, October 31, 2012
This review is from: New Horizons (MP3 Music)
New Horizons is a solid album but definitely falls short of Memento Mori and their self titled debut which I would rate as solid 5's. Remember To Live gets a 4. Unlike prior efforts New Horizons falls flat about halfway through - especially when lead vocals are left to others. At the end of the day Flyleaf is a magical band and will be hard to picture them without Lacey. Hopefully her departure will be temporary.

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving toward New Horizons!, November 4, 2012
This review is from: New Horizons (Audio CD)
After reading a lot of negative reviews, i had my doubts about this album. Surprisingly, it wasn't all that bad as critics pegged it to be. This is Lacey's last album with the band, but her voice is filled with raw emotion and such passion that one can't turn away. I'm a little disappointed because Lacey didn't even let out one raging roar in the entire album. She has lost some of her angst, but I still love her, and thank her for all her "blankets" of words. The band won't be the same without her. I feel like "Flyleaf left Flyleaf," and I will miss her always. Now back to the review after my rambling about Lacey's departure.
1. Fire Fire- This song is a great opening to the album, and it sets the precedence for other tracks that follow. The chorus, "Fire, Fire, Fire." "Fire from the tongues of liars." These lines will last in your head all day. This is a very strong track. It is heavy, and Lacey voice shines.
2. New Horizons- This is the most pop sounding song out of the bunch, but it shouldn't be dismissed. The song melody and lyrics are motivating and inspiring to state the least. This song was made for Lacey's voice. This song as their first single was a good choice due to it's pop sound. It kind of draws the listener in, and by then it's simply to late.
3.Call You Out- Flyleaf is basically telling someone off in this song, and a true fan knows who the lyrics refer to. Lacey's voice is way more aggressive and mirrors the older days of "I'm so sick." Lacey sings,"Truth called you out." The truth is I wish she would have let out a scream or two in this track.
4. Cage on on the Ground- I love the melody of the verses. The whole concept of the song is captivating. Maybe this is Lacey's way of disclosing why she's leaving the band. The reason is hidden between the lines of verses and choruses. I think she's the "Dreamer" in the song.
5. Great Love- This song is referring to our savior Jesus Christ. It's about the crucifixion. This song needs time to grow on me. There isn't really a catchy hook in the song.
6. Bury Your Heart- This song is about the record industry, or at least touches upon it. "Do you buy buy what you are selling them?", ask Lacey. I think in reality Flyleaf asking if they actually buy what they are selling us? The song is just okay, but it may grow on me in time.
7. Freedom- This track isn't very catchy, and to be blunt it's boring. This is a filler track. Flyleaf should know better!
8. Saving grace- I like this song a lot. The lyrics in the chorus are haunting. Lacey sings, "Save me grace, I'm sick of saving face." I totally can relate to these lines. Lacey's voice pleads with passion.
9. Stand- This song is a comfort and reminds me of "Break Your Knees." The song isn't very catchy, but I can tolerate it due to the lyrical content.
9. Green heart- This is supposed to to be the heaviest song on the record, but its sounds like a bunch of noise that hides Lacey's passionate voice. This song needs to grow on me too. I'm not impressed. Flyleaf have made heavier songs than this.
10. Broken Wings- This song is old, but it still is quite captivating, and Lacey sounds almost angelic.

This album altogether is good, but I liked their 2 previous albums better. Now that Lacey is gone, their next project needs to be a mirror of perfection. Loyal Lacey fans like I can forgive Flyleaf for not being perfect, because Lacey's voice made the songs work. Lacey was not just the body of Flyleaf, but the soul. This is the truth, and no singer can replace her. I don't mean to discard the boys backing Flyleaf, but Lacey brought something special to the band that separated them from other bands. I suggest buying the album to see for yourself. I don't regret buying it because it is after all "Flyleaf."

5.0 out of 5 stars Flyleaf's debut album has been my favorite album since it was released, September 16, 2014
This review is from: New Horizons (Audio CD)
Flyleaf's debut album has been my favorite album since it was released. This album isn't quite on par with their debut, but there are definitely songs on here that are even better than the songs on the debut.
1. Fire Fire: 5/5 stars. My favorite track. It starts out slow and then hits you hard with the chorus. The part where Lacey sings "Oh, send your rain" is magical.
2. New Horizons: 5/5 stars. Upbeat song and more pop-like than the others. I wasn't a huge fan when it first came out as a single, but it grows on you and reminds you that "so, you're tired but you're alive."
3. Call You Out: 5/5 stars. Classic Flyleaf percussive song. Reminds me a bit of "Breathe Today."
4. Cage On The Ground: 5/5 stars. My second favorite song. Essentially Lacey's swan song for leaving Flyleaf (though they say that the bassist Pat wrote it)--"When they distinguish your name/it may extinguish your flame."
5. Great Love: 5/5 stars. Great vocals. Great lyrics.
6. Bury Your Heart: 3/5 stars. Other people really liked this song, but I don't find it as interesting.
7. Freedom: 4/5 stars. Another hard rock song.
8. Saving Grace: 2/5 stars. A weak point in the album for me.
9. Stand: 5/5 stars. Another inspirational song--"In these tired bodies, spirit perseveres."
10. Green Heart: 4/5 stars. Another hard rock song with screams from Pat and a bit from Lacey at the end (I think). Nice song, though it feels like they were compelled to add a song with screaming.
11. Broken Wings: 5/5 stars. Awesome song, beautiful singing. I think the original was better, but not by much.