Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

New Kindles arrive: I wish I could be a fly on the wall...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 63 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 27, 2008 10:57:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2008 10:17:42 AM PST
SJC says:
I would love to see the excitement of each person opening their brand new Kindle when it is delivered. I remember it all so well:

Looking out the window every 5 minutes:

Knowing what it was when the doorbell rang. Heart pouncing: yessss; it's here...yessss! The UPS man looking at you like you are a member of the Cleaver family as you sing-song...Thaaank youuuu!! Have a nice dayyyy!!!

Then, you want to tear the box open: but you think twice; and ever so gently open it...and Oh!! when you get to the "Kindle box" under all the cardboard; a sight to behold. With caution, you anxiously unpack each side of the "book-like" box trying to memorize exactly where each item was placed.

Next, your heart drops to your feet when you realize you have to wait 2 hours for a charge. You plug it in, and check the time every five minutes. You pace, you keep checking the charge light, you go to Kindlebooks.com, you pace some more...Then magic...the charging light goes out.

Once again, your heart starts to race and your palms start to sweat. Ever so carefully, you hold it as not to smudge the screen. Gently flip the on switch and see the wonderful floating words Amazon Kindle appear; you can't believe your eyes...and then the Welcome, you are reading your first Kindle book. Of course, you nearly die when you see your name personalized on the welcome note.

You eat dinner late, because you were busy with the Kindle; then leave the dishes in the sink...hours and hours later, you're still up in bed, fumbling with Kindle: next page, last page, home, whispernet, flip, flip; scroll, scroll, download, one-click. Soon, you start to get drowsy and figure I better put my precious Kindle down before I fall asleep and roll on it and crack the screen. Reluctantly, you put in within arms-reach next to the bed (not on the bed).

The next morning you are awake BEFORE your alarm because of the Kindle. Flip, flip; scroll, scroll...you don't bother to make the bed...too busy. Oh shoot!! You put Kindle down...jump in the shower, brush your teeth, barely make it to work on time. The whole day at work; your itchy fingers want to pull out the Kindle. After work, sandwhiches or take out for dinner...too busy with the Kindle...no dishes this time; oh no-sir-e.

Later that evening; no tv...no time, too busy; still playing with the Kindle. Next day at work there is the hint of purple under your eyes from lack of sleep for the second night in a row; and once again--you gladly repeat the process. Oh the joy!

Ah the memory... wish I could be a fly on the wall; well, maybe a butterfly...for each person's reaction.
Enjoy!!
(Read the User's Guide...it's pre-loaded into your Kindle). Visit www.SquareTrade.com for 3 year warranty ask for ADH plan (accidental damage in handling).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008 1:39:20 AM PDT
Teninx says:
I'm enthusiastic over the Kindle, but I'm pretty sure my reaction was "Oh good, it's here".

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008 4:43:33 AM PDT
I am thinking my excitement level was just a tad bit less. Okay, a whole lot less!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008 5:56:58 AM PDT
Khabita says:
Hey, were you at my house when my Kindle arrived? Sure sounds like it!

I actually left work early the day it was due to arrive, and came home just so I could open it up and play with it a bit before going to my yoga class that night. And my husband had hidden it! Not to be mean, just because he was going out, and he wanted to make sure the dog didn't "open the box" himself (he's been known to eat boxes, books, even chewed up a cell phone once). So my husband put the box in the hall closet. Problem was, I didn't know that, so I ran around the house like a mad woman, looking EVERYWHERE for that darn Kindle box! Upstairs, downstairs, on the front porch, by the garage, IN the garage, and FINALLY I thought to look the hall closet.

I was most definitely like a kid at Christmas, hunting for the presents that Mom and Dad had hidden!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008 6:32:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2008 6:34:13 AM PDT
SJC says:
Too funny. I swear, if there were ever a fire (God-forbid); I'd run back in to rescue my Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008 6:48:54 AM PDT
OK, I admit.

I work with my husband, (we have a CPA firm) and on the day it was to arrive I told him I wasn't going into the office since I didn't have a lot of work to do. So I was at home when my bundle of joy arrived. No one but me, my dog, and my kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008 8:22:53 AM PDT
DD says:
SJC, as Khabita said, I think you were watching us when our Kindles arrived. I had the same exact reaction. Great post!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008 10:50:55 AM PDT
SJC says:
DD: Thanks... I carry mine with me at all times and so often I want to use it when I shouldn't; like at work!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008 11:25:31 AM PDT
I paced the floors and peeked out the windows all day the day my Kindle was to be delivered. When the UPS man came, I took the box and went directly to the dining room table. I opened the outer box carefully, then took my Kindle out of it's beautiful box and turned it on just to see what the screen looked like. Behold! The 3 books I had ordered while waiting for it were already on it!
I hooked it up to the charger and as soon as the light went out, I started ordering more books! lol
Needless to say, my Kindle goes everywhere with me, and my purse has it's own little compartment the Kindle slides into.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008 11:28:37 AM PDT
SJC says:
Theresa: Make that several purses for me! Though, my book purchases still outweigh my purse purchases.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008 12:58:54 PM PDT
Great post, SJC. It brought back all the excitement of getting a Kindle.

It's great to read a well written post such as yours. One of the enjoyable fringe benefits is the literate and (generally) polite Kindle Community.

The packaging that contains a new Kindle is a good example of making a good first impression and conveying a perception of quality even before trying the device.

*Will*

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008 1:24:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2008 1:24:26 PM PDT
SJC says:
Will: Thank you. I too was very impressed with the packaging; especially the cardboard around it, which snugly fit the box to protect the contents from shifting. Well done...and yes, it was ever so exciting.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008 1:33:52 PM PDT
SJC, you nailed it!! I couldn't help but smile while reading, what a great post. Certainly was my reaction. We women have more emotion than the men I think.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2008 1:39:49 PM PDT
SJC says:
Thanks Linda: The men "have it" they are just less likely to show it. I'm sure they were equally excited and extracted the contents just as cautiously as we did. They just didn't do so while wearing pearls and blushing at the UPS man.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2008 5:40:42 AM PDT
ScubaCPA says:
I had been thinking about getting a Kindle for many months. One day back in June on a Sunday afternoon at about 3:00 for some reason I suddenly decided that I "just had to have it". I went to my Amazon account to order it and saw that if I ordered it by 4:00 pm I could actually have it by Monday. So I ordered it and paid the extra shipping (a lot!) for next day receipt. I put my office as the shipping address and all day long that Monday I kept waiting for the UPS guy to deliver it, didn't get much work done that day. I kept checking the UPS web site with the tracking number and saw that it was "out for delivery" so I knew it was on the truck. By the end of the day I was checking the UPS web site every 10 minutes. By 5:00 it was a no show. I was so disapointed ... I had planned on "playing" with it Monday night. At about 6:00 I was leaving the building and passed by the security guards desk and as I was saying goodnight he said "wait a minute" and he pulled out a small Amazon box from under this counter and said "I think this is yours". It was the Kindle. I asked him why he had it. He said he was making his after 5:00 security round and making sure the loading dock door was closed and locked and noticed this package sitting in the driveway outside of the door! It apparently had fallen out of the UPS truck during a deliver sometime during the day and had been laying in the driveway! Someone could have run it over. When I got home I immediately plugged it in to get the battery charged. I then checked the UPS tracking website and it still said "out for delivery". I had a glorious night reading the Kindle guide cover to cover, playing with it, and downloading way too may books. The next morning the UPS web site showed it "Delivered - no one available for signiture"! Hard to get a signature when it falls out of the truck.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2008 7:00:25 AM PDT
Pauline Eng says:
I just received my Kindle yesterday. I had it sent to my mother's house. Where I live if I'm not there to receive it and the delivery person leaves it by the door someone would take it. It was being delivered by Fedex and I knew it was to be delivered by 3:00PM.

I had the day off from work so I went by my mother's to drop off some things for her. It was still early only 10:00AM. It wasn't there yet. I want to do some errands and then went to the gym. I got out of the around 1:30PM. The first thing I did was to call my mother to see if I received any packages. She went to check and yes it was there. So I went directly to her house to get my Kindle. A normal drive of 20 minutes took me 10 minutes. Fortunately no speeding ticket!!!

When I got there nobody was home but I have a key.
I immediately went straight to my Kindle and plugged it in. I then preceeded to get to know my Kindle. It only took 30 minutes to fully charge. I uploaded the books that I ordered (11 books) and then took my Kindle to get a bite to eat. The waitress saw my Kindle and asked about it. She's going to ask for one for Christmas. At the restaurant I bought another book. I now have 12 books on my Kindle. I love it!!! Got to go running late for work.

Pauline

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2008 7:31:31 AM PDT
H. Torres says:
If you were a fly on my wall you would have had the pleasure of seeing me experience the joy of recieving a new kindle four times! That is how many of these devices I went through before I finally gave up and decided to wait for kindle 2.0. But......while they lasted they were just GREAT!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 4:35:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2008 4:50:46 PM PDT
SJC says:
H. Torres- Hi, sorry to hear that you went through 4. You noted, while they lasted, they were great...what happened? I feel so bad. I myself, am on my third; but I don't mind...the first two were the "fading text outdoors" problem which a few of us had on the forum. Amazon gladly replaced them. My 3rd seems just fine so far; though we haven't had too much sun. I feel bad because if you have to wait until 2.0 that could be months and months; perhaps close to a year. Sorry for your troubles.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 4:43:09 PM PDT
SJC says:
Gary R. Gomola: Glad your Kindle was ok. I've heard of falling off of the turnip truck; but not the UPS truck. Hope you are enjoying your Kindle and glad you got it on the Monday.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2008 9:57:49 PM PDT
Toby Levin says:
This is a wonderful thread. I so enjoyed reading it SJC. I also got several handbags for my kindle. That's my excuse & I am keeping to it. You sound like you were watching me as well as I causiously did this & that & all of the excitement. I just got the M-edge for my kindle. Love it. ***Gary, I am so thankful that your kindle was all right & working. Geesh!! I once found a package of mine placed in my driveway instead of my front door. Had the same feeling as you. Could have been run over by a car. Plus, it was winter & who knows how long the package was sitting there in the freezing cold. My guess is, the delivery person was too lazy to do his job right.***Torres, so sorry that your kindles went bottom up. Why don't you just try 1 more time, just for me. Okay. Newer kindles are being made all the time & maybe the gremblems have been eliminated by now.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2008 11:08:14 AM PDT
Krissy says:
You are almost spot on. When my boyfriend brought the box to me, I was bouncing up and down on the bed, grabbing for it, and clapping like a little kid. I shrieked more than once. It seems as though you all have more patience than I did, though. I didn't wait for it to charge before I plugged it in. And the work thing... I even stayed home from school that day to wait for it to arrive.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2008 4:29:04 PM PDT
DKay says:
I loved this post! I felt the same as SJC. The only problem.... I thought I'd sent it to work and accidently sent it to my home - which is not in the network. : (
I had to wait till the next day to download my books.

I did get to spend the evening getting to read the manual. I'm not sure I would have read it front to back though if I could have downloaded books.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2008 1:55:56 PM PDT
PraiseGod13 says:
Awesome post SJC... I laughed out loud! This will be me soon!! I've been saving for my Kindle for 8 months now and will be able to order mine at the end of Oct. After reading about others' angst while waiting for delivery, I'm adding enough $$ to my "Kindle Fund" so I can choose One Day Shipping. I created a spreadsheet 6 months ago for my "Kindle Book Wish List" and now have enough $$ saved to buy my "Must Have" books. I've also been able to go to the sites offering free ebooks thanks to the discussions written by all of you, and will also be able to add my favorites from the "classics" into my Kindle. Simply amazing!!!
For all of the gals and our "purse discussions".... I have two Ameribag purses that will be perfect for taking my Kindle (still working on her name) with me no matter where I go. No purse has ever been as comfortable, or stayed put on my shoulder better than my Ameribags. Actually, the Ameribag is touted as being "unisex" and guys carry them also since they're styled similar to a small backpack..... so the guys should check out Ameribags for transporting their Kindles also!
Lastly, thanks to all of you for all of the encouragement and knowledge you've already shared with me!! How incredibly refreshing and exciting to discover that there are others like me who have such a love for reading!!! I can't wait to become part of the Kindle Klub!! 17 more days and I'm clicking that Order button!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2008 2:41:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2008 2:42:43 PM PDT
SJC says:
PraiseGod13: Congrats!! You won't be sorry. Kindle hasn't left my side since day one...I take it everywhere. I have bought several Kindle-friendly purses; thanks for the Ameribags tip. Let us all know how much you love it when you get it. Mine is named PAQ for (peace and quiet).

You may want to note: SquareTrade.com I bought a contract (warranty) for my Kindle...3 years which is 2 over the manufacturer's warranty and I got ADH (accidental damage in handling) insurance to boot (extra fee-- covers mis-haps).

P.S. If you purchase your books at the same time as your Kindle, Amazon will load them for you and when it arrives you won't have to do a thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2008 2:48:25 PM PDT
I ordered my Kindle on Sunday and will get it this Wednesday!! I can hardly wait and it is just like waiting for Santa Clause when I was a kid! Now I have to wait for my husband to come home to open it because I promised we would open it together!

Paula
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  63
Initial post:  Sep 27, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation) by Amazon.com
4.2 out of 5 stars   (7,980)