71%
New Moon Rising
Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:$2.99

on March 22, 2011
What I love about L.M. Pruitt is that she just doesn't do "standard" paranormal plots. Her narrative is always a fresh perspective, and it will hold your attention until the last page. New Moon Rising was full of all those things I love: romance, mystery, paranormal activity and great story-telling.

In this book, we meet, Carolyn "Cari" Gravier, whom I could only describe as an "abrasive town hellion". It just seemed that she had more people who wanted to take her down a peg or two, than people who genuinely appreciated her. Her parents adored her and an ex-husband who couldn't seem to move on, but she just had a chip on her shoulder. When strange things started happening in their little town of Selene, like dead animals and people turning up ravaged by some kind of wild animal, Cari asked questions. The more she asked, the more vague answers she got. We were able to deduce that whatever was going on, the occurrences had a connection to Cari.

Then the unthinkable happens, her ex-husband Mike is forced to reveal to Cari the secrets that he had been keeping from her. After that, everything Cari thought she knew about herself, her parents and her hometown began to unravel. It devastated her to find out the depths of their deception and the fact it seemed that everyone (including her parents and her own best friend) knew, but didn't share the town secrets with her.

As the events unfolded, Cari showed a resolve and strength that it seems that people didn't think she was capable of. She assumed a leadership role and fought to protect her town instead of running away. Finally, Cari and Mike are able to come to an understanding about their past and arrive at a common ground. The ending was not a cliff hanger, but it definitely left room for a sequel (and I am crossing my fingers hoping for one).

I highly recommend this book to fans of paranormal romance and those who love a great storyline.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
As a huge fan of L.M. Pruitt, I was not surprised I loved this book as much as I did her others. I could NOT put it down. I've never really been interested in werewolves other than as secondary characters in my favorite fantasy books. New Moon Rising HAS changed that. The story itself kept me enthralled, not once lacking in excitement or emotion. One thing I love about Pruitt's characters is I either want to hang out with them, Cari for example, or smack them, like Amelia. This is another series I eagerly await the next book in.
on March 25, 2011
One thing I'm guaranteed when reading a book by L.M. Pruitt is that I'll get something dark, something juicy, and something completely engrossing. I loved her Jude Magdalyn series so when I was asked to review her new book, NEW MOON RISING, I jumped at the chance. This author has an amazing way with words for me, telling a story that pulls me in deep and by the end I was left wanting.. craving more.

Driving home one night, Cari is surprised by the sudden appearance of her friend Will, who is wide eyed and terrified, pounding on her car door to let him in. Repeating over and over "they're coming", the appearance of eyes in the dark completely freaks Cari out and sets the stage for a suspenseful and emotion packed story. Dead animals appear on her porch and her relentless ex-husband Mike seems to be everywhere she turns. People are turning up dead, mauled by what looks like animals and when it happens to her beloved parents, Cari demands answers. Something is happening in her town and regardless of past pain, she is adamant about getting to the bottom of it. What she doesn't expect is the answer she's given and how tightly the town's secrets wrap around her. Dealing with the death of her parents and coming to grips with a legacy she was unaware of, Cari finds herself once again in the company of Mike, who wants her back and grudgingly she admits to loving him still. Chemistry flames between them as she works through the painful reason for the divorce and begins opening her heart again. Problem is - are some betrayals too hard to forgive? Can love overcome any obstacle? And will the frightening menace and its supernatural nature destroy any hope of a future? Seriously, this is one heck of a story.

One of the things I love most about reading stories by this author is the depth of emotion I find. It's like it's not enough for you to feel what the characters are experiencing, she needs to reach in and rip out your heart in the process. Nothing excites me move than reading a book that pushes me and that moves me so intensely that I'm sobbing in parts because I can identify so well with what's happening. The author shared that she put a piece of her soul in this story and I believe it. The plot itself was addicting as I tried to figure out what was going on and how Cari would be able to work things out. But as I got deeper into the story, the stronger it went past mere reading and I couldn't help sit in wonder. It takes a great author to be able to capture some of the scenes so perfectly - to have the reader fully believe they are there. When Cari shared the horror and pain of miscarrying, I want to die alongside her. I wanted to shake my fist at everyone involved as anguish and pain coursed through me. It ceased to be words on a page and became personal. LOL I don't think I can gush enough about the impact.

I really liked the characters in NEW MOON RISING. Each one was well fleshed out and believable. When it was over, I wouldn't have been surprised to see them walk into my house and sit down like we were all best friends. Cari was this strong, opinionated woman who didn't take crap from anyone. Her past had forged her into this feisty character and I really enjoyed watching her as she embraced the events unfolding around her. The thing I liked most was that when she finally confronted those that had hurt her, it wasn't with a "Oh it's ok you ripped out my heart and decimated me" - it was with a "You really hurt me and I don't know if I can work through BUT I'll try" It was much more realistic and it kept her true to her character. I loved the dynamics between her and Mike and that despite it all, sparks FLEW between those two. Mike was this sexy man who knew he'd screwed up but was bound tightly by the town secret. It killed him that he hurt Cari and vowed to make it right with her. I loved the things he said to her, that he was always there for her and he made me MELT into a gooey mess. He was strong and oh so protective - but what really set him apart was his willingness to admit he was wrong. He wasn't caught up in macho pride. He loved Cari and would move Heaven and Earth for her. I loved watching them reconnect.

This is definitely a book to read for those who love an urban fantasy with a beautiful dose of romance. True to her style, L.M Pruitt delivers another gritty story that is both entertaining and addicting. It completely seduced me and left me wanting more and more. Keep your eye out for this author. Happy reading!
on February 23, 2011
I really do not know how to put into words how much I loved this book by L.M. Pruitt. I loved all of her other books. I could not put this book down from the minute that I started reading it. L.M. Pruitt has a way of drawing you into to the story and having you wanting to stay there. I just loved the plot and the story line. There was so many emotions in every page of this book from first page to the last page. This book really brings out the emotions in you. I either wanted to cry or hit someone throughout the whole book.

Cari lives in a town where everyone is hiding something from her. She also still lives in the same town as her ex-husband Mike. When people in the town start getting murdered by wild dogs Cari starts getting suspicious about everyone. When she finds out the truth she is forced to make a choice that will change her life forever. Also it is hard for Cari living in a town where the people treat her as a little kid and also like she is stupid. When Cari's parents are murdered by the same wild dogs that changes the way that the town sees her. She grows up in their eyes overnight.

We follow Cari and her group of humans and werewolves through all kinds of twists and turns in this book. The four main characters are so well written that you forget that it is just a book. They turn into your friends and you find yourself hoping that everything works out for them and that they get a bit of happiness in their lives. It is heart breaking reading about when Cari lost her child. And also you feel such happiness and love when she describes the love between Cari and Mike, and that love can stand the turmoils of death and divorce.

Please do give this book a chance and you will not be disappointed. And do read the other great works of art by L.M. Pruitt. With lots of romance, adventure and twists and turns what more could anyone ask for. This is another book that I will be awaiting the sequel too. Another series by L.M. Pruitt to follow. Keep up the great work L.M. Pruitt.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Paranormal readers, if you are looking for a new werewolf series, look no farther than the Moon Rising series. This book is emotional, well-written, completely absorbing.

Cari Graver's life suddenly stops making sense. Suddenly her small, boring town becomes dangerous and she feels out of the loop. She has to contend with past grief, her ex-husband, and new revelations that will rock her world forever.

From the beginning of this book, I was hooked. Cari is an intriguing character, she has been through a lot and in this book, her past catches up to her. She knows that her ex, Mike, keeps secrets from her, but she never would have guessed the depths of the secrets he holds. When everything comes together (or apart, if you will), her entire world is flipped on it's axis. Suddenly, things start making sense, but all she feels is grief and betrayal. I was drawn right into the story with Cari, the emotions she felt, her confusion and her anger and grief. This is a powerful story, and when combined with the mystery and allure of the supernatural, New Moon Rising proved to be an amazing read.

As I mentioned, New Moon Rising is extremely well-written. I have read other books by LM Pruitt, and I have really enjoyed every book that I have read by this author. She writes intriguing characters, highly developed plots, and the relationships and romance are enough to seal the deal. All of this was present in New Moon Rising. There are plenty of twists and turns in the story, and I guarantee that you will wind up cheering for Cari, and feeling her confusion for Mike. The story is not exactly a romance, it is relational. Cari struggles with her feelings for her ex husband, and so there is a touch of romance in the story, and there are some pretty hot scenes.

As soon as I finished New Moon Rising, I immediately picked up book 2, Harvest Moon Rising. The Moon Rising series is they type of series that you want to devour, to keep reading to find out what the characters will do next. I absolutely loved this book, it is a "must-read" for paranormal readers.

*I received this book for review*
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 26, 2011
For her whole life Cari has been surrounded by secrets. And if her ex-husband and parents - and actually all the people in her home town - haven't all been exactly been lying to Cari, neither have they been telling her the truth. But when the secret which has cost Cari so much brings even more loss and heartache to her life, Cari is determined to have the whole truth once and for all. While the truth will set her free, it also it will also tear open old wounds, but armed with her new knowledge, now Cari has a fighting chance against the danger that swirls around her.

There are so many good things going on in New Moon Rising which is probably more urban fantasy than paranormal romance - if you can extend that label to a story set in a small rural town. Author Pruitt's characters are all really good. I loved leading lady Cari, her parents, her ex, and her mother-in-law. Cari is bold and abrasive but still appealing and the people who surround Cari - both allies and enemies - and her relationships with them really bring Cari's southern small town to life. I may be a bit perverse, but I really liked that once Cari discovers what's been kept from her and realizes how other peoples' choices have impacted her life, she takes them to task and doesn't offer to forgive them for the harm that they've done - even as she finds it in her heart to offer the possibility of a second chance for someone whose own mistake has cost them even more.

I just have to say that I really liked how the dynamics of the paranormal element/world-building were integral to the story. This is not always the case in mainstream paranormal fiction - I can think of a lot of stories I've read where the world could be altered by simply replacing a few nouns and verbs and the story would be affected not one bit.

I did have a few trivial nits with the story, though they aren't anything that detracted from my enjoyment of reading New Moon Rising, in fact they were minor things that struck me thinking back on what I'd read. Still I loved New Moon Rising, and I am really hoping that Pruitt revisits this world in the near future.
on September 17, 2011
Highly recommend this book. Would love to see more of Selene's residents in a future. I cried, I laughed and I became hopeful for a HEA for all the characters in the book. Well rounded story. Very suspenseful. Couldn't stop reading until the end. I thank Ms. Pruitt for sharing her story. Looking forward to Taken.
on September 23, 2011
My love for all things LM Pruitt continues with this Southern Gothic werewolf novel. I'm not sure if she wrote this before or after Shades of Grey, but it's a far more polished novel, lacking the rough edges of the Jude Magdelyn book. There are still some issues, but overall this is another strong-voiced, page-turning read that just works for me.

Cari Gravier has lived in small town Selene, Georgia, all her life. She's only just learning that there's more to her family, friends, and neighbours than she ever realised, and as tragedy and danger is closing in, she has to learn fast. Hearts will break, friends will turn betrayers, and Cari will find herself a prize in a war she's only just realised is happening.

So, this is a werewolf book. I don't think that's a spoiler, given the title. I'm always predisposed to like a werewolf book, and any time there's a different spin on the mythos, I'm even happier. Pruitt hasn't done anything especially new with her wolves, but I loved the small, Southern-town setting and the no-nonsense pack politics. Cari is a vibrant heroine - and whilst there is a hint of the Mary Sue about her, it's not as pronounced as with Jude Magdelyn. Yes, Cari is the rebel darling of the town, always mouthing off and getting away with it; yes, she's fierce and makes grown men quake in their boots, but Pruitt crafts a town full of fierce, strong-minded women in New Moon Rising, so it doesn't seem like Cari is any more "sassy" or bossy or whatever than anyone else. And as with Shades of Grey, I'm happy to overlook little things like this because I find Pruitt's writing so engaging.

Bigger problems do test your credibility, however. Cari is apparently the only person in Selene who doesn't know that everyone's a werewolf. Her parents and ex-husband (the pack alpha) somehow managed to keep this from her for her whole life. She never saw or heard anything that made her suspect there was anything odd about the people she's know her whole life. Really? Okay... I guess it's not impossible, but it does seem unlikely. We are talking an entire town of werewolves here. Did she never hear howling at the full moons? Hear rumours of wolves in the woods? Cari never wondered where her husband was nipping off to every full moon? Okay...

If you can accept the fact that the entire town maintained this conspiracy of silence for Cari's entire life, this is a good story with a slow-burning plot, as Cari discovers her own role within the pack and wrestles with whether to accept it. She's not a werewolf herself, but she's essential to the pack, which makes her valuable to the wild dogs - wolves without a pack - and the wild dogs are nasty. And not everyone in the pack is friendly either, creating a guessing game for the reader: who's working with the wild dogs and who's just an unpleasant person? Cari has plenty of enemies even amongst Selene's townfolk, so you're never quite sure who's to be trusted or what their motives are.

Cari herself is a warm and witty narrator; sharp-tongued but with a heart of gold. I haven't read many UF books featuring divorcees (although I'm sure they're out there), and the relationship between her and Mike, her ex, rang very true and very touching. I don't know if there are any sequels in the works, but Pruitt left the door open for further stories and I feel like Cari has plenty of stories to tell. Although the werewolf aspect of the novel does take something of a back seat to the relationship aspect, there's enough there to satisfy my appetite for lycanthropy.
on April 1, 2014
I think that this is well written and easy to read. It held my interest all the way through. I had a hard time putting it down. My only criticism is that the only explanation for all of the supernatural phenomenon is "it's magic." If you are looking for a fun read and suspending your disbelief isn't a problem, then this is a great book for you. If you are looking for a werewolf book, you may not be as enthusiastic.
on December 31, 2013
Compelling, even though I'm not a fan of werewolf stories. I guess the callous brutality in several instances fits the theme. There were several points at which I almost deleted the story but continued reading, a testament to the author's skill as a writer; I'll certainly look up the rest of her books and hope for something more my cup of tea. I might even look up the next in series.