Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

New Spenser book by Ace Atkins.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2011 8:13:18 AM PST
Unless this new Spenser book by Ace Atkins is based on an outline by Robert B. Parker, I can't understand why a Parker/Spenser fan would want to buy it.
So far, the one and only author of the Spenser series has been Parker. Bringing in a new author to continue the series seems a bit crass.
I know that there are hundreds of Sherlock Holmes stories by authors other than Conan Doyle, but the last line of Sixkill seemed like a farewell from the author to his fans. It was as though he knew that the end was near.
"I got in my car and I drove west."
Good bye, Spenser.
Your father was a good man.

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 12:46:33 PM PST
LisaMC says:
So, why not at least a plot summary? What's this all about?

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 11:59:19 AM PDT
mccambo says:
Hopefully Ace lays off the sickly sweet Spenser/Susan stuff. it just got too cutesie and too predictable in the last books. They need a plot point that shakes things up again, like when Susan went off with that other guy (many books ago) and spenser and Hawk ended up rescuing her. How about this...Spenser finds out he fathered a child years ago with a pre-Susan girlfriend. Brenda perhaps. And now this kid is all grown up and is a thug, Spenser finds out he is the father and has to straighten the kid out. that might cause some interesting issues in the Susan relationship. Remember there was a time she was convinced she wanted to have a kid with Spenser. And the all of the sudden he has a son, and she is kind of left out.

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 12:23:51 PM PDT
LisaMC says:
That would be a good plot. Too bad RBP isn't here to write it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 12:23:08 PM PDT
I pretty much agree. Although I didn't feel that RBP thought it would be his last book, I got the impression it was going to be the last one with Spenser as a main character. It seemed like we got a LOT of information on Sixkill, maybe he would take over crime busting with a little help from the (let's face it) geriatric superheroes Spenser and Hawk. That being said, if RBP and Spenser had both lived to be 100, I would have been happy to buy each and every new Spenser :)

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 1:23:45 PM PDT
mccambo says:
Yes, we got a lot of background on Sixkill. I could see him starring in a spin off series of books.

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 2:54:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2012 2:54:44 PM PDT
J. Romano says:
I am a huge RBP fan and read all his books, Spenser is my hero and couldn't wait to see what Ace Atkins would do with Lullaby. I was lucky enough to score a review copy last week and read it and...I LIKED IT! Lullaby reminded me of RBP's early Spenser novels, with its gritty plot, more words on the page, the return of Gerry Broz. The Spenser/Susan chapters are less nauseating than the last few books. Hawk is back, too! Ace's Spenser feels slightly different because its Ace's voice and not RBP's but the voice is close enough to make it a legitimate continuation of the Spenser series. THANKS, ACE for picking up Spenser and keeping the series alive. The series is in good hands with Ace and I look forward to reading the next one!

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 10:27:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2012 10:28:38 PM PDT
I will be reading this book. If anyone could pull it off,Ace Atkins could. The Jesse Stone book that came out was garbage. I only made it through about two chapters.
Ed

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 4:30:30 AM PDT
Mr. Atkins nailed a home run! What a great continuation of Mr. Parker's legendary hero. Can't wait for "Wonderland" in the spring of 2013. Ace Atkins is the legitimate heir to the throne!

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 11:02:15 AM PST
At first I thought it might have been a book that RBP had started before his untimely death. I found it at the library and although Mr. Atkins tried to sound like Spenser, it didn't quite jibe for me. There were things that I don't think RBP's Spenser would say. I probably would not read another. RBP's Spenser went with RBP.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2013 11:11:00 AM PDT
I read the new book by Ace Atkins,who was picked by Parker's family. It was amazing. He brought a new freshness to the charectors,especially Hawk! I urge you to give it a read,you won't be disappointed

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2013 11:12:24 AM PDT
Dude! no spoiler alert??? Glad i had read it before I read your text!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Robert B. Parker's Lullaby (Spenser)
Robert B. Parker's Lullaby (Spenser) by Ace Atkins (Hardcover - May 1, 2012)
4.1 out of 5 stars (481)