Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Gear Up for Football Learn more

New Super Mario Bros. 2
Format: Video GameChange
Price:$27.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 3, 2012
I got this yesterday. I beat this yesterday. That right there should tell you something.

It was nice having a racoon Mario again that can actually fly. Super Mario 3D Land may have had Racoon (actually Tanooki) Mario, but he didn't really fly. He just had slow decent. So it's nice to be able to fly again.

But I'm afraid other than that, I don't have much to say in favor of this. The main game is only 6 worlds long (with another 2 secret worlds that you have to find canons to get to plus the Star Levels). The levels are really easy. Even more insulting is that it's so easy to get 1ups now with tons of coins all over that I've died many times on a level and still wound up with more lives than I had when I started. The invincibility leaf makes a return after dying too much just to make it even easier.

Really, the game is just too easy. I haven't gone through the star levels yet. I don't think I will just because it requires 90 star coins to unlock. I just can't see myself going through the same levels again and again enough to gather that many.

The platforming was fun while it lasted. But with the plethora of coins (and therefore no shortage of lives) it's just not very challenging. And like I said at the beginning, except for the Star World, for all intents and purposes, I beat this game in one day.

It's fun while it lasts. But it's too short, too easy and doesn't really offer much new. It may be worth a rental. But trust me, you'll be finished with it far too quickly to make it worth the retail price.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on August 27, 2012
Positive:
-New
-Goal of collecting 1million coins, since before the coins were just for getting 1 ups.
-Power ups, such as the tanooki suit
-Combines the best parts of recent mario games.
-Co-op play
-Each level tells your highest coin collected score, which makes you want to go back & top it.
-Coin rush mode: gives you 3 random levels to quickly run through & collect coins, & then creating a ghost data for streetpass

Negative:
-No multiplayer battle like the previous DS version
-No Download play
-Doesnt feel all too new

3D effect:
-It's more like 2.5D & not required to enjoy the game.

Conclusion:
If you love side scrolling mario, then this is the game for you. It is a great game update to its predecessor, even though it loses some features (similar to Mario Kart DS & 7).
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again