Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: New To This Town
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon September 16, 2012
Like most of the reviewers here (well, maybe except the one who mispelled the artist's name as "Kicks"?), I enjoyed Brooks' contributions to Brooks & Dunn. There's a raw honesty and a real, I don't know, COUNTRY feel to his voice, unlike the often slicker stylings of the duo's more visible member. "South of Santa Fe," "You're Gonna Miss Me," and "When We Were Kings," just to name a few, were all classics in my book. So I was initially much more excited upon learning of this solo album that I was about Ronnie Dunn (which is, it must be said, the better record). And it starts off well enough with the title track, featuring rock gargoyle Joe Walsh. But then a sinking feeling kinda sets in. While I can't say there's a particularly BAD track, there sure aren't many very GOOD ones, either. "Complete 360" is a fun, upbeat number, while "My Baby" and "Tattoo" would have fit on a Brooks & Dunn album (as album cuts, though, not hit singles). The album closer, the wistful "She Knew I Was a Cowboy," is probably as close to a great song as you'll find here.

The bottom line is, if Kix Brooks wants to make a name for himself outside of the most successful duo in country music history, he's gonna have to find better material. And maybe take a few more risks, musically speaking. As someone has already pointed out, there's just nothing really memorable here.
on August 24, 2015
Some reviewers here are comparing this first solo album of Kix Brooks with Ronnie Dunn's first solo album... Well, I bought them both... and can say the following: I like them both!! If you play both together, it is like listening to a long, extended Brooks and Dunn album!! So, buy them both, listen to them together...!!
I've been a Brooks & Dunn fan for over twenty years. I wasn't disappointed when they decided they'd gone as far as they could go as a duo. Now we have twice as much Kix and Ronnie! I enjoy the new work of each artist.

I especially enjoy this CD with several great new songs. I like the title sing, as well as Moonshine Road, My Baby, and next To That Woman, but I most appreciate the well-written "She Knew I Was A Cowboy!"

Kix has always had a pleasant voice, not as dynamic as Ronnie's, but nevertheless, a solid country voice. With this CD Kix further proves his excellent writing skill - a genuine artist!
on October 14, 2013
I know my father loves this CD. He has enjoyed listening to it since his birthday when I bought it for him. I like a couple of songs on it. But the CD is well done and the music is what you would expect from Kix.
on July 29, 2014
Excellent transaction. I bought this one by Brooks....and another by Dunn...as a test to see which one was going to be my favorite. This is a very good CD, but LOVED the one put out by Ronnie Dunn. I wish them both well with their new individual careers, for sure....but do wish they were still together. Sigh...such is life! At least I understand that they are still friends....very good!
on September 20, 2012
I have been a Brooks & Dunn fan from the start. I've ALWAYS loved the unique sound of Kix's voice so I was anxiously waiting for him to put out his own solo album. (His second one - I have his first from over 20 years ago and I LOVE it, too!!) I LOVE this CD!! I don't understand what all the negative comments are about. "Bring It On Home" is probably my favorite song on the CD next to "New to This Town". I also like "Complete 360", "Tattoo", "Next to that Woman", "My Baby", "Closin' Time At Home" and "Let's Do This Thing". I'm not disappointed with this CD. I think Kix gave us a great CD and I look forward to many more to come!!
on February 13, 2013
My son is a big fan of Brooks and Dunn so when they broke up and went they're seperate ways he was wondering how would Kix Brooks would sound without Ronnie Dunn well now he knows cause now he has it and he sounds real good with or without ronnie dunn. So no matter if you are an fan of the groups or of their new projects this is an must for all fans alike.
Lois Banks
on July 28, 2014
I loved Brooks & Dunn but I think both Kix Brooks & Ronnie Dunn's solo CDs are lacking. They sound great together but not so great apart. They are their best together. And I'm not being sentimental. I expected to like both of their solo albums and was shocked that I didn't.
on November 11, 2012
I'm not gonna claim this album changed my life, but I do enjoy it very much. The first and last tracks (New To This Town and She Knew I Was a Cowboy) are my favorite tracks, but there are several other good ones. I like listening to all the tracks and am so happy with my purchase. I love Kix Brooks!
on November 24, 2012
This is a great first effort by Kix Brooks after his Brooks & Dunn days. It has a variety of songs that show off his voice. What I love most about Kix's songs is that the majority of them are a story.