on November 14, 2008
I love my Iphone 3G. It seems every day I find something new it can do. But all the function comes with a price - really lousy battery life. The darn thing drains like a sieve when I use wireless - which is a pain as that is often the fastest connection and offers the best flexibility when using all those fantastic Apps.
So I started to hunt down external batteries - especially for those long flights when I was in the middle of an audio book or new series of TV shows and blimmpppp there goes the battery. The first one I tried cost me $80 and never got to a full charge on the Iphone, only giving me an additional 3 hours of battery- big whoop - I still couldn't make it overseas. I tried another that promised 20 hours but it actually drained the Iphone!!! So imagine my surprise to find this Tecyer that cost half the price and charges like a champ! It is a fast charge too. I can't say how long it lasts but I have gone past 25 hours using video and audio and it hasn't run out. It got me back and forth across the country, over to Germany and France and now I plan to take it to South America. I highly recommend this unit. It is slightly smaller than the Iphone and lighter, and because it doesn't connect directly onto the Iphone but through a cord I can keep the phone in its case.
As for the Kindle - it has a great battery life, but it is great to have a backup should you forget to charge it. I read about this trick on a Kindle blog - and I bought the USB Sync Charge Cable (for Palm Zire 31 72 Tungsten E) and I now use this adapter cable to connect to the battery pack and it successfully charges my kindle! I love it when I get multifunction out of a unit!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 28, 2011
I recently purchased the Verizon iPhone 4 and had been looking at all of my "extended battery" options for weeks and finally decided to get this one. I was initially going to get one of the more expensive extended battery cases, but I thought that since I don't travel THAT often, I didn't want to add the bulk to my phone for everyday use. I use my iPhone on planes to watch movies, play games and listen to music and podcasts and having some extra power with me is great for longer flights. I'll always be able to get off the plane with a full phone battery.

I decided I wanted to see how it would perform so I ran my own little experiment and here are the results:

:: Day 1 ::

I exhausted the iPhone 4 battery by streaming video until the iPhone shut itself down
I connected the fully charged Mobile Power Pack
In about 10 minutes the iPhone was charged enough to power back on (5%)
After 2 hours of charging iPhone had 73% charge;
at 2h 40m iPhone showing 92% battery
at 3hrs iPhone showing 95% battery
within 3hrs 20min full 100% battery on iPhone
several hours later the mobile power pack still shows as having "High" charge available

:: Day 2 ::

I exhausted the iPhone 4 battery again by streaming video
I plugged iPhone into mobile power pack (I did NOT recharge mobile power pack; the pack briefly showed High charge and dropped to Medium in a few seconds)
6 minutes into charging, the iPhone powered up showing 4% battery
15 minutes into charging, the iPhone showed 11% battery
40 minutes into charging, the iPhone showed 26% battery
1 hour and 30 minutes into charging, the iPhone showed 55% battery
3 hours and 20 minutes into charging, the iPhone showed 100% battery (Same as Day 1)

:: Day 3 ::

Normal use of my iPhone brought it down to 76% battery.
I plugged it into the mobile power pack which still showed medium charge.
When I looked about an hour later, the iPhone was at 94% charge and the mobile power pack had been depleted.

Recharging the Mobile Power Pack
Plugged MPP into wall outlet after being completely depleted by prior testing. LED indicators lit up in succession indicating charging in progress.
1 hour and 20 minutes from charging start the MPP was showing low light solid; still charging.
2 hours and 20 minutes from charging start the MPP still showing low light solid; still charging.
4 hours from charging start MPP showing medium light solid; still charging.
6 hours from charging start the MPP showing full charge, lights stopped flashing. (May have been done sooner.)

(NOTE: The manual states that Low indicator means 1-20% charge remains; Medium means 20-80% and High means 80-100%. It would be much more helpful if it was 0-33%, 34-66% and 67%-100%, but it's not THAT big a deal)

Conclusion: A fully charged Moblie Power Pack has TWO full charges (with a little left over) for iPhone 4 before having to recharge the mobile power pack and you can easily get the MPP recharged during a standard workday or overnight while sleeping.
on July 1, 2009
After receiving the imaxpower, I was going to rate it five stars right off the bat, simply because of the strength of this piece. It states that you can watch 11 movies on a fully charged imax, and even though I did not test it on 11 movies, I did have it plugged in for a while, and I it worked fine, as well as leaving my iphone fully charged afterwards. The thing that separates this piece from similar pieces like the 3gjuice and the mophie, besides from about 3 times the strength, is the simple fact that it charges just about everything you can think of. If you have a wire that connects to basically any of your electronics (I personally tried it on my kindle, blackberry, and Bluetooth) and has a usb plug on the other, it should work without a problem. The reason why I think that this piece the best in its category, and frankly one of the best items you never heard of, is the fact that you can use it on almost any of your handheld's, and simultaneously. I was messing around with this piece, and decided to use a 4 port usb hub and try a few pieces at the same time. To my surprise, it charged them all at the same time and the imax showed no signs of dying( I posted a few pictures so you can see what I mean). Everybody owns something that plugs into a usb. Most people own more than one. I am a tech freak, and can actually charge a lot of my gadgets, AT THE SAME TIME. If there was 10 stars then I would rate it an 11. The only negative I can think of about this product, is that it only comes with an adapter for my iphone (I guess that's what it was marketed for) , and doesn't come with an ac plug, which basically means that you have to charge it with the usb that is comes with; not such a big deal for me. I don't know how this is not the best-seller, I guess its cause nobody heard of it yet, which is why I recommend getting your hands on it now, before they realize that they can easily sell it for double, and still be pretty cheap considering the capability of it. I rate the imax 11 stars, and i think this is the next generation of batteries.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 12, 2009
I will chime in with the comments on the battery capacity of the IMP-500. We used it extensively on our trip to Birmingham, England and back. 26 hours of flight time and a good 8 hours of airport time. It kept our two iPhone charged nicely.

When we purchased our first two IMP-500's one would not charge. We shipped it back to the vendor and received a new one. No problem.

Now the on/off switch on one of the IMP-500's will not work without excessive force. My sense is the switch consists of two metal plates which touch together, and they are no longer closing the circuit.

I don't think it has anything to do with the 2-3 second delay, which is a nice feature and keeps the battery from accidently turning on when bumped in the briefcase.

Without the ability to turn the battery on and off easily the battery is pretty much unusable.

So, while I like the capacity of the battery and it's ease of use, as well as the good product support, the switch is most definately a design weakness in my mind and I would probably not purchase another IMP-500.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 1, 2010
In my opinion believe all the positive reviews, BUT be aware that it does not come with the AC adapter charger when ordered through Amazon. If you go to the IMAXPOWER website, the same item is availble for only $45.95 with free shipping and no tax (at least for my state). Plus, it includes the AC adapter charger!

Seems like a no brainer to order from the IMAXPOWER website when you get more for less, plus you can pay by credit card or PayPal.

I still love Amazon though.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 1, 2011
I bought this product from New Trent and found it to be okay. Not great, but okay for the price so I did not complain. Weeks later, a representative from the company sent me an e-mail saying they would like to thank me for my business by sending me my choice of a free battery pack phone charger. Of course, I accepted. The representative then e-mailed me again requesting that I post a positive review on Amazon in exchange for the free charger. I replied that I would not wholeheartedly support a product if I didn't feel that way and that bribing someone for a favorable review made me question the ethics and products of the company. Furthermore, there was absolutely no mention of any review in the original e-mail proposing the free "thank-you" charger. New Trent's representative quickly backtracked and offered to send me the free charger if I did not mention this exchange to anyone. After all the e-mails back and forth, I ultimately received a charger that does not even work, aside from my original purchase which was mediocre. Since the charger was a "free gift," I didn't expect much out of it. However, New Trent's request for a positive review on Amazon has now caused me to question how many of these reviews are actually real. Based on this and my experience with their mediocre products, I would think twice about dealing with this company in the future.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 20, 2011
I bought this hoping many of the stellar reviews would trump the many poor reviews, but unfortunately it turned out to not be the case for me.

I ordered the item to be able to charge my new AT&T Inspire 4G, by HTC. It's a battery hog, so having a portable recharge would be great.

I opened the box, and was really excited because the product is sexi to look at... it's not one of the dark black boxy electronics you usually associate with this type of product. It's curvy and nice looking.

Initial read of the instructions proved to be a challenge, as it's clearly a manual that was written in Chinese and then translated and converted to english for North American sale. It was a bit contradictory and vague in a couple aspects, so I went online and watched the how-to, just so I could say with certainty I was using it properly.

I charged it initially for 24 hours (it recommends 4-6 hours), and the instruction manual that came with it said one light will flash when it was completed charging. After 24 hours, TWO lights were still charging. I went onto their website and it states that when charging is complete, the light should remain on and solid. However this was not the case for me.

I decided based on the specs, 24 hours should have been more than enough to charge it (by technological spec 5 hours from complete drain to full charge is all it should take). I plugged in my device, and immediately all 4 lights lit up on the battery pack indicating full capacity. After 5 minutes, it dropped to 3, then after 10 minutes it went to 2...

At this point I contacted the manufacturer. They were quick to respond that it's likely defective. I questioned if they see this a lot and they said yes. I asked why they don't resolve it and they said (in broken english) that it was what people expect for half the price of the competition. Seems a bit odd of a response from them. To me I'd want to put out the best (usable) product for the price, or not put out a product, but hey, whatever.

BOTTOM LINE: Amazon is issuing me a refund as I'm sending this one back. Normally I'd give the benefit of the doubt and re-order another one, but given the less than impressive response from the manufacturer, I'm planning on returning for a refund. I'm going to order the Zagg Sparq 2.0, which gets great reviews. At almost 2x the price, I'll have to suck it up and pay for it, but I suppose if I want a product that comes with warranty and support, that's the cost of it. I also learned that Amazon doesn't have a lot of flexibility in their marketplace seller practices, so they said their hands are tied. I'll stick to ordering direct from Amazon going forward. :-(
on September 15, 2011
Got this for a trip overseas so I'd have plenty of battery power. Received the unit in late July/early August. On its first charge it charged 2 phones no problem. Then it charged another a few weeks later. On/off switch did not provide good feedback when it worked so I think it may be the switch. Checked the charging cable and it appears to be fine w/an ohm meter. Preparing to go on the trip and guess what? Charging lights don't come on, depressing the on/off switch and no response. Great, just before I left on the trip I bought it for. We didn't pack this thing!
on July 7, 2009
It looks like a good travel battery when you need a charge and I like the fact that it is pretty universal in what it can charge. What it doesn't come with is a wall adapter to charge the battery. Thankfully the iPhone comes with a very small wall source to USB adapter rated at 110-240v and thus you can charge with that adapter. Probably better with the Apple device anyway. My vote is that its a good portable battery when you can't find a wall plug.

You can also tell that this a Chinese created device, the instructions and packaging should have proof read by someone who is fluent in English. The packaging is nice the poor english greatly detracts from it. The use of Times New Roman fonts on the device also detracts from its design. The font's use makes it look like a knock off. I would also suggest that the product be reviewed and approved by the Underwriter Laboratories for safety and given the UL approval. We all know we will charge it at night in a hotel room and would never want the ability to start a fire.

So far I still like this device much more than a jacket battery. I will charge my phone when needed vs always having a jacket battery to carry around. If it lasts three years that would still be a good deal.
on June 20, 2010
I read the reviews for this product and was excited to purchase it. I charged the power-pack battery and plugged it into my iPod to see how well it would work. It didn't charge my iPod at all. Then I figured maybe the connector that came with the battery was defective, so I tried another connector and plugged the power-pack battery into my Blackberry. Again, it didn't charge. The directions stated "if you have a USB cable, with wich you can charge your mobile device from computer USB port, you also can charge the device from power-pack with it..." so I used the cord that I normally charge my iPod with and atached it to the power-pack. Still nothing. Also stated in the directions..."once the proper connections have been done, the power-pack will begin to charge your mobile device accordingly, the working indicator (Use) will turn on and your device will display that it is being charged". Well, the indicator light turned on even when it wasn't plugged into a mobile device. When the power-pack was attached to my mobile devices, the iPod and Blackberry never indicated that they were being charged.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...