5.0 out of 5 stars a new turn in the south
In "A new turn in the south" by Hugh Acheson, the author--a restaurant owner and a food lover--shares his favorite Southern recipes. As Acheson starts the book, he confesses that even though he is Canadian, he has spent a third of his life in the South and is in love with Southern cooking.

The cookbook is divided by the following categories: libations (drinks),...
Published on November 21, 2011 by Alla S.

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, okay
I wish I could just say my review with the subject above. The layout and design are okay but I did not find the recipes all that enjoyable.
Published 6 months ago by R. Schweitzer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars a new turn in the south, November 21, 2011
This review is from: A New Turn in the South: Southern Flavors Reinvented for Your Kitchen (Hardcover)

The cookbook is divided by the following categories: libations (drinks), snacks, soups/salads, first courses, from seas and streams (seafood), things with wings, red meats, sides: vegetables/grains/taters, pickles/put-ups/pantry items, and whipped cream and other delights. Full color pictures also accompany some of the recipes.

Some of the recipes in this book include: pan roasted pork chops, pickled shrimp, chicken stock, bacon vinaigrette, oysters with sauces, oatmeal chocolate chunk cookies, pear and pecan flip cake, southern carbonara pasta, salmon with marinated vegetables, lobster pie, roasted potato salad, and veal sweetbreads. The recipe most memorable for me is the country ham with chilied mango recipe, which includes the author's photographed section on how to cut a mango. That was pretty creative. I picked this book up expecting to learn some recipes by a home cook, and was not disappointed. Overall, a nice southern cooking cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, December 21, 2011
I highly recommend checking out "A New Turn in the South" if you enjoy cooking. I have already tried a few recipes: Ribeye with Stewed Morels, Succotash, and Smothered Pork Chops with Chantaerelles. All were very easy to follow, upscale but approachable, absolutely delicious and used ingredients that were easy to procure. Usually I find that it takes a couple attempts to get the recipe locked in , but these came out great the first time. Can't wait to try a few more, next up is Braised Short Ribs with Hominy Stew! Best thing to happen to Southern Cuisine since the invention of biscuits and gravy!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is Southern cooking at it's finest.... not Paula Dean, January 21, 2012
Finally a real gourmet southern cookbook!! I like Paula Dean, but not all southern cooking if fried with 2 sticks of butter! Hugh takes the best of the south, our vegtables, seafood and regional favorites and brings them up to gourmet level. Many of his recipes are similar to what I grew up eating.... but elevated and refined. Pickled shrimp is a favorite of mine and his recipe made my version even better. Thanks Hugh! Also the fact that I am from SC and you lived in Clemson just sealed the deal that this is now my favorite cookbook of all time. If you are making recipes from Southern Living or other Junior League cookbooks. STOP. Try this cookbook to bring your dishes to a new level. Recipes are not that complicated, but require some prep. But well worth the trouble.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Expectations, Exceeded, October 18, 2011
As a longtime fan of Hugh Acheson's cooking, I have for years eagerly awaited his first cookbook. With each great meal eaten at Five & Ten and Empire State South, my anticipation - and expectations - for the book increased.

A New Turn in the South is visually stunning, with both wonderful illustrations and Rinne Allen's richly detailed photographs.

More importantly from a home cook's perspective, the recipes are accessible while also including lavish detail that allows the reader to have a greater understanding of both ingredients and technique. A New Turn in the South makes for both great reading and great cooking.

While it's often said that a chef's dishes offer a window to his or her soul, Hugh takes this one step further. He poignantly writes not only of his cooking philosophy but also of his life philosophy.

Hugh's words, along with Bertis Downs' foreword, capture the essence of why Athenians consider Hugh to be a local treasure.

A New Turn in the South exceeded my high expectations and I believe that, over time, it will become my most dogeared and food stained cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars My go-to cookbook, March 30, 2012
I absolutely love this cookbook and it's become my new standby...I pull it off the bookshelf first when I'm looking for something creative but not so complicated that it takes a degree from the CIA to pull the recipe off. Hugh has a way of taking what we already cook and making it more interesting, without forcing you to source ingredients from the far corners of the world.
My hands-down favorite in the book is Cane Vinegar Chicken with Pearl Onions, Orange and Spinach. The cane vinegar is available at almost any Asian grocery store...when you buy your first bottle to make this recipe, go ahead and buy several because you're going to love it! My kids ask for it every week now, I've made it for friends who now own "A New Turn in the South" because of this recipe alone.
The deviled egg recipe is fabulous, definitely try garnishing them with his Pickled Shrimp. The Risotto with Okra, Country Ham, Boiled Peanuts and Ramps is one of the best risottos I've ever eaten.
I'm a southern girl who hasn't lived in the south for years and I miss the food from my childhood. This cookbook brings back all those old recipes and memories but elevates them to a level worthy of 2012 and my older, more sophisticated palate. I can't wait for Hugh's next cookbook!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have & surprise not all greasy fried recipes!, February 11, 2012
A chef inspired neighbor recommended this cookbook . Get it! This is now a go to cookbook for us & not a same same book. For something different (at least uncommon here in Colorado), try the collard greens pg. 222, amazing! Have substituted Swiss chard & still a great healthy side.
Book is written in a cool format.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, easy to follow recipes!, November 29, 2011
A New Turn in the South: Southern Flavors Reinvented for Your Kitchen
Thank you, Hugh Acheson, for sharing your expertise with the rest of the world so that we, too, can cook like an award-winning chef! The easy-to-obtain ingredients and clear, concise instructions make it easy for even the novice cook to make delicious dishes for family and friends. You will not regret ordering this cookbook for yourself and giving a copy as a gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, January 31, 2014
I love this cookbook. I have made a number of the appetizers and drinks and whenever I get started then I want to change my whole menu to make only his recipes. Some can be labor intensive but fun for special entertaining. Also, it is a pretty book to leave out.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Coffee Table Book, November 18, 2012
My husband and I bought this for his mother for Mother's Day. She and her husband's favorite restaurant is Five and Ten in Athens, Georgia, and she enjoys cooking. I thought she would be so thrilled to have one of Hugh's cook books and try some of his unique recipes. The book is great - well illustrated, the recipes are look mouth-watering. Six months later, the only thing she has made is the sweet tea. I think this is due to the complexity of the recipes - many require seasonal and hard-to-find ingredients, and are quite time-consuming. I would definitely recommend this as a coffee table book or for advanced cooks, but it's not best for those who don't consider themselves chefs.

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Southern Gem!, August 16, 2014
Hugh Acheson is a culinary genius with a heart of gold. I bought this cookbook without looking through it and was thrilled to death with what I found on arrival. I will be bringing this cookbook with me to the Netherlands as a little piece of home to give to my host family. Especially love the sweet photos and anecdotes from his precious family. Overall, truly wonderful purchase!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

A New Turn in the South: Southern Flavors Reinvented for Your Kitchen
A New Turn in the South: Southern Flavors Reinvented for Your Kitchen by Hugh Acheson (Hardcover - October 18, 2011)
$35.00 $22.79