Metal Evolution 1 Season 2011
Amazon Instant Video
1. Pre-Metal Tracing the origins of metal is a phantasmagoric odyssey that traverses cities and countries, oceans and continents. From Memphis' Sun Studio to The Kinks in England.
2. Early Metal Part 1: US Division Darker, heavier music in the sounds of Steppenwolf and Blue Cheer. Followed by the inspired and inspiring sound of Kiss and Aerosmith. Van Halen begins a decade's worth of dominance for the uniquely party hardy metal of America.
3. Early Metal Part 2: UK Division Pouncing on the power of heavy metal, bands such as Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Trapeze and Slade were crafting their own loud sounds in response to the bleak industrial environment of Britain's Midlands.
4. New Wave of British Heavy Metal Heavy metal was now boldly out of the closet, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Saxon, Raven and Def Leppard seethed out of the gates with fast, technical, uncompromising metal music, building a fanatical, energized movement.
5. Glam Purveyors of glam such as Bon Jovi, Cinderella and Quiet Riot will divulge their side of the story, revealing the attitudes, influences and decisions which guided them during those days of rampant excess on L.A.'s sunset strip.
6. Thrash Next in the evolution of Metal comes a virulent strain called thrash, with the likes of Metallica, Slayer and Anthrax wreaking vengeance on hook and melody through a rhythmic discipline executed at breakneck tempos topped by harshly barked vocals.
7. Grunge While grunge was enjoying its meteoric rise, replacing the MTV face of Metal that was glam with its own brand of telegenic, easy to digest "rebellion," diehards within the Metal community struggled to adjust.
8. Nu Metal Sam Dunn chronicles the rise and fall of nu metal; starting with pivotal acts Rage Against The Machine, Faith No More and Tool and continuing to pioneering nu metal artists like Korn and Deftones.
9. Shock Rock Starting with the ringmaster of mayhem himself, Alice Cooper, we visit a world of guillotines and gallows, electrocutions and sorcery. We'll then learn how NYC's Kiss dethroned Cooper by taking spectacle one giant leap forward.
10. Power Metal Sam runs into his old friend Ronnie James Dio, who guides him into the fantastical world of power metal, where masculine tales of heroism and epic battles, dragon-slaying and sorcery, burn into the the imaginations of young men.
11. Progressive Metal A genre that takes root with the likes of Rush in the '70s, Queensryche and Fates Warning in the '80s, and Dream Theater in the '90s. Since then, the genre has exploded with creativity, spawning mind-bending, genre-defying acts.
|Genres||Reality TV, Documentary|
|Starring||Geoff Barton, Biff Byford|
|Supporting actors||Phil Collen, Jess Cox, Bruce Dickinson, Sam Dunn, Joe Elliott, John Gallagher, Ashley Goodall, Mark Gregory, Rob Halford, Steve Harris, Gary Holt, Scott Ian, Neal Kay, Kim McAuliffe, Rat Scabies, Rod Smallwood, Dennis Stratton, Brian Tatler|
|Purchase rights||Stream instantly and download to 2 locations Details|
|Format||Amazon Instant Video (streaming online video and digital download)|
I guess true metal heads can much better assess this, but for someone like me who doesn't know a whole lot about the genre itself, it's very good as a "starter kit. Read morePublished 4 months ago by JP
My brother wanted this movie. Not sure if it is good or not due to I had never heard of it before. He was happy to get it though.Published 12 months ago by Annette S. Gast
This is by far the most thorough Documentary I've seen on the history of Heavy Metal. It's broken down into each us catagory and explains how each happened. I own this baby. Read morePublished 12 months ago by Djrider
The documentary leaves out some very important bands and types of metal. Also, too much time is spent discussing bands who are already familiar to metal fans or even ordinary... Read morePublished 12 months ago by RB
This was a gift. It was a gift list item. Wanted for a long time, and watched by my boyfriend often.Published 13 months ago by Michelle Bonbright
Loved this series, but seriously where is the Blue Ray? I will not purchase this crappy version. Get it right people.Published 14 months ago by Brandon Dino
After the success of "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey," documentary filmmaker Sam Dunn expanded on the subject through the VH1 series "Metal Evolution," each episode... Read morePublished 14 months ago by Cody Richeson
Great stuff, classic footage and compiled very well. I like the chronological order the story is told in. Lots of fun.Published 14 months ago by Daniel Bellanca