Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 13, 2008
I enjoy the Wall Street Journal, but being a daily publication, I wanted more up-to-date news breaks. The NY Times Blog solves the issue.

It pumps news stories to the Kindle every 3-4 hours, and the stories appear to be comprehensive, well-written, each about 1000 words long, and there are approximately 8-12 headlines active at a time. So, it is not the NY Times newspaper itself regarding content amount, but getting thousands of words of up to date info effortlessly every few hours, 24/7, is well worth the $1.99 monthly. The stories are more timely than even the NY Times subscription newspaper.

I have used the experimental web feature of the Kindle to secure news stories, and while that works also, it is more cumbersome, slower, takes more clicks of the wheel, and it not a neat and tidy as having active headlines 24/7 "pushed" to the device.

I did the trial subscription to Reuters headlines and found it far inferior to the NY Times Headlines for content, photos, navigability, and writing quality. Try both the Times and the Reuters and the difference will stun you.

The NY Times blog even has photos for almost every article that are good quality, and is easy to navigate and read. Highly recommended.
11 comment|293 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2014
For a few days in late August, 2014, functionality of "The New York Times Latest News" became became inexplicably and profoundly crippled. (The ability to drill into the full article was removed). Fortunately however, full functionality returned, thankfully but mysteriously, on Sept 1, 2014. I had cancelled my subscription when it become crippled but re-subscribed as soon as I learned functionality was restored. Now, on September 2, 2014, I confirm "The New York Times Latest News" is once again working on my Kindle PaperWhite correctly. The full text of each article is included. "The New York Times Latest News" is restored to being a great blog, well worth the price, which I recommend to everyone. Even if you subscribe to the full New York Times, this blog is still a worthwhile complement owing to it updating during the day with news items more recent than the New York Times full edition.
66 comments|36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2008
this blog is the most valuable in the kindle format that i have tried. discrimination is exercised in selecting the content - articles qualify as "latest news" & quantity of total articles listed is kept to a manageable amount. the articles-listing titles actually give you a good idea of the subject. each article is well-written & the right length for the substance. some include pictures.

many of the other blogs i tried are just a heap of varying-quality unhelpfully-titled material dumped onto your kindle that you have to time-consumingly pick through for any satisfaction.

i can't wait to see what they do when there is a firestorm of fresh news - such as will happen at the time of the dem/rep conventions, election day or say when CA has our expected uber-earthquake (assuming i manage to put my kindle & desiccants in a ziploc bag with a solar-powered charger in time).
A great addition to the Kindle; I can't imagine anyone cancelling "New York Times Latest News" after giving it a try. Stories are varied, in depth, well written, and update several times a day, allowing subscribers to track the latest developments in the big news stories during any given period. The presentation of the articles on the Kindle is clean, organized, and pleasing to the eye; and most articles contain a photograph, which look just fine on the Kindle, too. New articles arrive, old ones drop off, no muss, no fuss. If I'm constantly using this blog now (and I am), I can't imagine how helpful this subscription will be this summer during trips to the shore and mountains when I'll be away from televisions and computers. With all the benefits and the economical price, "New York Times Latest News" was an easy buying decision for me, and you'll likely find it to be so, too.

Note: Amazon frequently updates the presentation and functionality of Kindle blogs and periodicals, so as this review gets older, it may no longer accurately describe the current version of this product.
22 comments|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2014
Yep. Blog is now worthless. One or two lines per headline instead of the previous in-depth articles. I guess NYTimes and Amazon thinks I will now upgrade to the full NYTimes app. Guess what? I'm not! Sorry to see it downgraded. Used to be a great blog. Current description is inaccurate, false and misleading.
on April 24, 2008
I am still in the trial period for this - but it is great (I don't know how anyone would have time for more of the NYTimes than this). The stories are in-depth, it is not a headline news product . . . and I feel it has put me in closer touch with the issues around current events. I will continue to subscribe - I am much more likely to read it on the Kindle than I am through my browser.

Also, it refreshes and deletes itself, i.e. it requires no management. I love that!
on August 30, 2014
I started every morning for the last three years reading this excellent blog, with 20 or so full-text articles at a time. Yesterday, Aug 29, 2014, the blog changed to merely a headline plus a one sentence summary of the articles. I will be canceling today.

Update 9/4/14: After checking some recent reviews and reading that the blog had been restored, I re-subscribed. It's back to being one of the best values out there.
on August 30, 2014
This is the killer app for the eInk Kindle. Anywhere in the US, I have a superior newspaper front page, plus continuations, plus a few other stories, updated every hour or so.

I originally wrote this as a one star review due to a outage-like event over the 2014 Labor Day weekend. You may see one star reviews left over from this event, with review authors assuming the change in service was permanent. That's a backhanded tribute to the consistent good service experienced over the past several years. We, including me, weren't used to there being a problem, and so assumed the worst.
on August 30, 2014
I agree with latest reviewers. Loved this blog for years, it updated several times per day and contained full articles. Virtually worthless now as it contains headlines and a one sentence intro only. I'm really annoyed that there was no communication with subscribers to announce the format change. I will be canceling my subscription.
on August 30, 2014
Clicked and clicked to figure out what was wrong with my Kindle or Amazon's feed as I couldn't find the full article for each New York Times headline. With no previous notification from Amazon or New York Times, a blog change occurred. After clicking on the article headline, there was only a one sentence summary. Clicked again and was back to the headline. Not what I subscribed to, not what is still described for this product (at least update that) and most importantly, not the way to deal with any customer. I'll cancel as this will not drive me to purchase the full Amazon Kindle NY Times version. Already have that contract separately for computer and iPhone. Sad day for what was a great product and now a great example of decision makers ignoring cause and effect.

========================================
Changed within week or so and back to useable format.