Customer Discussions > Wii Fit Plus with Balance Board forum

New weight limit on balance board?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 19, 2009 3:07:07 PM PDT
J. Gregory says:
So I ran into the weight limit for the original WiiFit and I'm curious if that spec has changed for WiiFitPlus. Failing that, I'm interested in knowing if there are going to be 3rd party balance board "controllers" that have a higher safety factor. Any other ideas?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2009 6:25:14 AM PDT
My wii fit plus that I got last night says on the box 330lbs I don't know if that is more than the original and hope it helps :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2009 7:09:49 AM PDT
H. E. Lee says:
Thank you, you answered my question! I hate exercise equipement that maxes out for people at 250 pounds.

Posted on Oct 29, 2009 11:57:34 PM PDT
Joanna Yanez says:
i want it to buy this game for my husband but he weight around 410 lbs does anyone know if this will work ,i mean the the limit weight board

Posted on Oct 30, 2009 12:20:52 AM PDT
J. Gregory says:
The game starts with a "weigh in" and it won't let you play if you're too heavy for the board (330 lb apparently).

The only cheat I know of is to put foam or something between the balance board and the floor, cut so the legs still touch the ground. I've heard it works for some pretty heavy gamers but it's entirely possible that the board can break; get a 400 pound guy jumping on a plastic balance board and something's bound to give out.

Posted on Nov 2, 2009 6:56:05 AM PST
M.D. says:
I've also hear that putting foam, thick carpeting, or maybe several layers of towels on the the floor under the board can help fool the board if you're over the 'limit'. (Of course, your weight measurement wouldn't be accurate) I would be a little more careful and deliberate when stepping on and off the board, but since you never actually jump while on the board (it actually stops the gameplay and gives you a warning), I would think that you could probably get away with being around 400 lbs. Plus, I've had good experience losing weight fairly rapidly while 'playing' regularly - so maybe the weight limit would no longer be a problem after only a short time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2009 7:45:25 AM PST
A. Travis says:
My bf is over the weight limit (but under 400 lb, to estimate), and he cut out cardboard in a + sign shape, with open areas by the feet but the main body of the board being supported by the cardboard. We also have thick carpet, and the combination took off about 50 lb. He added two layers of cardboard and that took off almost 100 lb. He's very deliberate in his movements and never jumps on it, and the board has been fine so far. If he breaks it I'll kick his butt and make him buy a new one (:

Posted on Dec 22, 2009 7:56:56 AM PST
I enjoy the Wii Fit but would only make one suggestion to the makers of this product. Starting and staying with a exercise program is hard enough to do but it is made easier with the buddy system of exercise. So if they could make a adapter to connect 2 Wii Fit boards to each other so a friend could bring thier wii board over and exercise.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2009 8:55:13 AM PST
I bought the wii board and my wife is 50 pounds over the weight limit, what we did was fold a blanket and put it under the board tricking it to think she is under the weight limit.

Posted on Dec 26, 2009 3:04:53 PM PST
M. Pinnock says:
thank you for the card board suggestion. it works and now i can enjoy with my kids

Posted on Mar 24, 2010 4:36:21 PM PDT
I have never been able to use the wii fit board since I had it. It was put in the closet because of weight limit issues. I read these discussions for ideas on how to get around it and for the first time since I purchased it I am using it. The towel trick worked for me. I folded one of those thick oversized towels to the shape of the board and rested the board on it and it actually worked. It was a quick and easy solution to the problem. Now I can get games that use the board and I am gonna get the wii fit plus also. Thank you Thank you

Posted on Apr 6, 2010 7:46:36 AM PDT
G. Pierce says:
What I have heard is that the structure of the board is rated for about 600 lbs, but the accuracy of the measurments decrease over 330 which is why the software will not let you play. So, if you can cheat the system to allow you to play, you do not really have to worry about the board breaking.

Posted on Aug 17, 2010 10:43:37 AM PDT
B. Davis says:
It just frustrates me that something that is created with the idea in mind of helping people use weight can't be used by the people who need it the most. My husband and I have recently started a new, healtier lifestyle that includes a much healthier nutrition plan and added exercise. I was so disheartened when I stepped on the balance board and realized that I'm going to be left out of that part of our new routine. That being said, to accommodate the sitaution until I get thin enough to use it, I stand next to him while he uses the board and I do the same thing as he is doign without the board. Just seems better for me to do that than to sit on the couch and watch him use the product. So, I am making due, for now, but I still think the makers of the product need to reconsider the fact that the people most in need of the product can't use it....and update it to meet the needs of even those of us who are over that 330 mark.....

Posted on Aug 20, 2010 5:46:40 PM PDT
J. Morgart says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 23, 2010 7:38:18 PM PDT
Please be careful, folks. I can relate to the weight limit issue. I am only 150 now but I have been much bigger in my life, and I know how frustrating it can be. But when you put something under the Wii Fit board, please be careful that you do not reduce its traction to the point where you create a hazard for yourself. I know that for some of the Yoga poses I have to move the board from the rug to the floor so it won't slip while My weight is widely distributed. (Warrior pose and Downward Facing Dog come to mind.) Also, a lot of the Wii Fit value comes from being able to see how your balance and posture are improving, and if you fool the sensors you may be getting feedback that makes it worse, not better, as the sensors compensate.

Your mileage may vary. I love my Wii Fit workouts, and I would love to see a heavy-duty model come out for the folks who need it most.

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 6:04:39 PM PDT
Eva Rockwell says:
Hey!

All of you folk initially well over 330 lbs using tricks to use the Wii Balance Board able to confirm this worked fine now months/years later that the device has held up fine?

I'm probably about 370 lbs at this point and was thinking of using this as long as I avoided and mini-games that required jumping but need to be assured that after a few months of tricking the board in this way no permanent damage was caused by the other folk in my similar situation.

We got this for my wife of nice normal weight and I hate to risk breaking the thing by trying it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2010 10:49:49 AM PDT
P. Hartman says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2010 9:38:58 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 25, 2010 9:39:23 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2011 7:31:02 AM PST
Arty Choke says:
There is a guy on you tube with a fix.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-j8tYpZxvY

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2011 10:23:46 AM PST
If I was your wife, I would sock you one ^_^
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  19
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Oct 19, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 10, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Wii Fit Plus with Balance Board
Wii Fit Plus with Balance Board by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (1,711)