5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice AC for room cooling.
Published on August 25, 2007 by Deborah

3.0 out of 5 stars Tepid
The NewAir portable AC definitely works. Lots of cold air comes pouring out of this thing, but it may not be exactly what you're looking for. It's good for some things and not so good for others. Let me explain.

Published on June 1, 2010 by Christopher Deweese

3.0 out of 5 stars Tepid, June 1, 2010
This review is from: NewAir AC-12000E 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner (Misc.)

I have an office/media room on the top floor of my house. It's basically an attic/loft that gets pretty warm in the summer. Central air is pumped into the room, but not much air comes through the vents. My homeowner's association will not allow window AC units, so I thought this would be an excellent alternative. The unit is portable and the window exhaust vent is not noticeable from the outside. The unit looks nice and is sturdy. I like the remote control and the digital thermostat on the front of the unit. It rolls nicely on it's casters. Hooking up the hose and exhaust vent was easy. However, my expectations may have been too high.

First, the room is about 150-200 square feet. The unit is not able to cool the room down much at all. The room is tolerable if you're sitting with the unit pointed in your direction as you can feel the cool air. That's about as good as it got. Also, the hose and exhaust vent got really hot during operation. Not sure if the heat radiating out from it canceled out the AC, but it was noticeable. To the unit's credit, the room has a skylight that acts just like a magnifying glass, so I'm sure some of the heat in the room is the result of it. Plus, there are three other windows with only blinds pulled. Maybe putting some opaque curtains up would help keep the temp down.

Second, the unit is very loud. Even on the low setting the compressor fills the room with a loud buzzing sound. If I'm working at my computer with headphones on, it's not a problem. But if I'm trying to watch a movie or play video games on the TV it's downright impossible.

Needless to say, I'm a little disappointed with the unit. I spent almost $400 on this thing and it doesn't really work the way I wanted it to. There are a few tweeks I can make to the room to help it along, but I guess I'm just going to have to get used to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice AC for room cooling., August 25, 2007
I have always used an evaporative cooler since I live in a low-humidity environment. It works really well unless it get over 96 and this year was especially warm so we decided to get an AC for the bedroom, the warmest room. I did lots of comparing, reviewing and trying to figure out exactly what would end up being the best value. I saw this product and it was something I hoped would work.

It came quickly. The company sends you the FedEx number so you can track it and know when to expect it. After opening it, I was glad we went portable instead of window unit. It looks pretty cool and isn't too huge. The thing for the exhaust in the window looks good when viewed from outside the house. The air comes out very cool and gives instant relief. It isn't loud. The remote is nice - I didn't think we would use but we do. Not having to empty the water is a handy feature also.

I am really happy with this AC. :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Returned it!, August 23, 2009
Mel Mommy (Southern USA) - See all my reviews
Well, needless to say this product wasn't my best purchase. The thermostat really didn't work - If the unit was set to a certain temperature, it would stop cooling 5 degrees above that temp. So frustrating! Also, this unit is so loud when the compressor switches on. We now have the Sharp a/c unit from Home Depot (a much more expensive model), and the difference is amazing... I will say the air was cold however, when the unit was cooling...

I will say this company was great about the return. They immediately sent a call tag to return the item (at their cost), and quickly issued the credit. I would definitely buy from them again - just not this product...

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but doesn't cool like a 12,000 btu window unit, July 27, 2009
N. Webb (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this a/c a few days ago to cool off our family room (approx. 140 sq feet) with adjoining kitchen (approx. 120 sq feet). The description says it can easily cool up to 400 sq feet; however, I think it falls extremely short. It was about 92 today (very hot for Seattle) and it took all day just to get below 80 degrees in these two rooms using this unit. My recommendation is to use this for only one room, not to exceed 200 sq feet, e.g. a bedroom or office. Don't believe the hype that a portable 12,000 btu unit can perform cooling comparable to a window unit. This one is probably very good for one room, but struggles terribly to cool over 200 sq feet. I do like the fact I don't have to empty the water.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just ok, September 6, 2010
The first unit was returned as it struggled to produce any cool air. It was extremely loud and after a few days developed a burning smell. Supplier was very cooperative and sent a replacement immediately as it took a week to get here.In parallel I prepared the defective unit for return.
The second unit did in fact cool very well but although not as noisy as the first unit it is noisy. As it is for our bedroom ear plugs work and maybe over time you get used to it. It is more than "white noise".It is louder than the window unit it replaced.The installation was very easy although some bubble pack was needed to close a few voids as our windows are 100 years old .It moves easily.One disappointment is the duck work[dryer hose] is configured such that you can not get the unit close to the wall and it is 12-18 inches off the wall. The unit is NOT small and weighs 70 lbs--be prepared to have some muscle available if it has to go upstairs.
If it was more quiet and we could get it closer to the wall I would give it 4 stars.If also smaller would give it 5.
Cools well but noisy and takes up more floor space than desired,
JIM

2.0 out of 5 stars TWO YEAR AIR CONDITIONER, June 3, 2012
For two years it worked just fine. It is very noisy but I don't know if other units are also noisy. I hooked it up this year and it turned in just a noisy fan. No cooling power at all. I'm going to try a Black and Decker.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, August 16, 2009
We had a 12,000 BTU window unit that cooled our entire house (1,432 sq. feet). It cooled so well that in the summer time, my wife needed a blanket sometimes to take a nap when the outside temperature was 98 degrees F.

We recently put in a security system and now we can no longer use a window unit if we want our house to be "secure". With the heat wave that prompted our purchase of this air conditioner we were desperate to purchase this product. Since our window unit was 12,000 BTU I thought this portable unit with the same amout of BTU's would be adequate. I was very very wrong.

We hooked it up to our window with the window kit and it seemed snug and all. Then we turned it on - whoa - it seemed to barely cool our den which is in the central part of our home. The old window unit was in the den and so we thought placing this portable unit in the same place seemed logical. We have an open concept design in our home. With this portable A/C unit, we had a couple of fans trying to push the cold air into our living room to no avail, the unit was not as powerful as other reviews made it seem. The next day I was on the computer (in the den), literally 12 inches from the unit and I had sweat dripping down my forhead. I couldn't figure out why I was still hot while sitting next to the portable A/C unit. After a couple hours of it running, the exhaust hose becomes extremely hot. This is the part of the hose that is inside the same area you are trying to cool. It's almost like the cold air it creates gets canceled by the heat it generates. Heat that escapes through the thin exhaust hose. Because of this, i went to Home Depot and bought some 1/8 inch thin by 6 inch wide foam. I came home and wrapped the exhaust hose and used clear packing tape to secure it all in place and the heat was barely able to penetrate out. The unit is a tiny bit more efficient now.

We've had to learn how to use this thing in terms of how we can position our fans to make the cooling more effective. We place it on one end of the house with a window open in the same room and on the other end of the house we have an exhaust fan helping to draw out any warm air in our home. Although you can set the machine to cool to 62 degrees, the lowest we can get our house is 75 degrees and that's only for a couple of hours, on the weekends. Weekdays, we have to lock up the windows and can't do the window/fan trick we have to do to cool the house. So for the most part we're a bit cooler during the day.

The delivery time was great. I ordered it on a Tuesday and it was here on Friday.

Hope this helps!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed.., June 11, 2009
Not really impressed with this unit. Despite the manuf. claims, it does hold water and the drain pan is pathetic, only holds a few ounces. Unit makes this awful high-pitched popping sound when it's full.

The fan is awfully noisy when you consider the relatively low output, even on high. Actual cooling performance isn't great, either, on hot, humid days it struggles to keep my small bedroom acceptably cool.

This unit cannot be relied upon singly to cool a room, its primary purpose is to assist central A/C in hotter rooms. The 12,000 BTU rating feels like it's about half that.

2.0 out of 5 stars You'd be better off putting a standard window unit on your floor., May 24, 2012
I can't even overstate what a piece of garbage this thing is. I read plenty of mostly positive reviews. Like how it was reasonably quiet, simple to install, suitable for relatively large areas, etc. I'm now convinced that every one of those reviews was written by the machine's designer.

~This thing is only quiet if you're sitting in the house across the street. MY NEXT DOOR NEIGHBORS actually commented on it! It rumbles so much it actually shakes the entire floor level it's located on. A 20 year old window unit elsewhere in the house literally makes less than a quarter the noise.
~And sure it's simple to install, unless of course your window wasn't specifically designed for this half-witted window mount. I mean come on! The freaking hose is cheap plastic sure, but it does compress! So it's not like the window mount couldn't have been designed to do something similar. I could draw something out for you in 3 minutes that would work better! And I can't even draw!
~And then there's the sq. footage. What was it recommended for? 400 square feet? That was the single most overwhelmingly BS statement I saw regarding this unit. And for anyone who wants to say I don't understand what this type of unit is for, let me say this; I'm sitting in a 9x9 room. 9x9. Less than a hundred square feet. It says "Air Conditioner". Therefor IT SHOULD TAKE LESS THAN AN HOUR AND A HALF TO GO DOWN 5 DEGREES!!!!

The only reason I'm not returning this thing is that it still works better than my car ac. So I'm used to making due with a glorified ($430) fan. That, plus the foam mess created when I unpacked it in the first place. I have no interest in going through that again any time soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent unit!, August 7, 2007
This little air conditioner works great! It has made a difference in my quality of life. It easily cools an entire large livingroom, and it is very quiet! The unit has a piece that goes into the window for the hose, and it could have a better design, but I do believe they are all the same design, so that was my only problem. A little duct tape held the piece in place in my window. Fast shipping, great product, came exactly as described!

NewAir AC-12000E 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner