Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Newman's Own Organics Organic Premium Chocolate Bar, Dark 54% Cocoa, 2.25-Ounce Bars (Pack of 12)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on May 25, 2010
I have tried every type of dark chocoalte without dairy (surprising how many 'dark chocolates' contain dairy!) and these are hands down the best. A nice combination of smooth chocolate flavor without being overly sweet or being too bitter. FAN-TAS-TIC!!!
on September 29, 2011
This is a superior chocolate - my new favorite in the 70% range. It's ultra creamy and velvety, with a smooth, rich, deep, dark chocolate taste and a nice, long finish. It's hard not to devour the entire bar at once.
on March 1, 2011
Unlike other expresso chocolates, Newman's Own isn't large hunks of chopped up coffee beans, but finely ground expresso powder. Makes it much more pleasant to eat. The quality of Newman's Own chocolate is also very good. I love good chocolate and am so happy I can purchase it at Amazon in 12-packs for a cheaper price than I can get in a store.
VINE VOICEon April 20, 2012
This is my new favorite chocolate. It has a very smooth mouth feel. It is nice & sweet. The ingredients are 100% organic: Organic Milk Chocolate (Organic evaporated cane juice, organic cocoa butter*, organic whole milk powder, organic chocolate liquor*, organic soy lecithin [an emulsifier], organic vanilla. *Rainforest Alliance Certified cocoa.

Personally I find most other chocolates create a dry feeling in my mouth. I don't know how else to describe it. They don't taste, feel or look as smooth. Also they don't taste as sweet. This chocolate tastes & smells wonderful. I think the addition of vanilla might be what gives it that perfect touch. I eat too much of it & order it by the case on Amazon as I have found that Amazon has the best price vs the few stores in my area that carry organic chocolate.

If you like your chocolate sweet, creamy & organic then Newman's Milk Chocolate is for you! Yum!
on June 6, 2010
Good chocolate. You can actually taste the orange citrus flavor. It complements the chocolate and doesn't dominate the flavor. Great treat.
on March 16, 2011
I'd suspect most people who try this will like it, at least enough to finish a bar. I prefer dark chocolate, typically with a higher % rating then this has but hey chocolate is chocolate so I wasn't going to turn down trying it. It reminded me far more of a bittersweet (think chocolate chip) then of my typical dark chocolate bars. It wasn't bad by any means but it didn't stand out as amazing either. It's obviously worlds above your typical "candy isle" bar but I wouldn't pick it out when compared to other organic dark chocolate options at a specialty market. For those interested in moving into dark chocolate for health benefits this might be a good transition bar into those with a higher % if you're used to milk chocolates.
on August 13, 2012
Gave these as a gift to our building management office and they raved. Some had never had dark chocolate before but totally loved these. The little crackle of the espresso is great (I had one too) and I'd recommend these to any chocolatefan.
We love lots of different Newman's Own products, and have been devotees of Sockarooni pasta sauce and the mint chocolate chip cookies and the Caesar dressing for years. So we had high hopes for this chocolate. But sadly, those hopes were not fulfilled. The chocolate is good, not overly sweet, but just does not seem to rise to premium grade. The mouth feel was not as silky or smooth as we would like, and frankly a bit waxy. And there was something just not very distinctive to the chocolatiness of it all.
So, I don't really know how to express my feelings over a chocolate bar. In my household, there is no other choice besides dark chocolate--that's all we do. Whether it's the conventional Special Dark or the ritzy high end selections, we've tried it all. I was excited to check out Newman's Own, an organic variation weighing in at 54% cocoa. When we go upscale, we tend to venture into the 72% range, so I was interested to see the difference.

Me: I liked the bar. It was appropriately sweet (but perhaps not dark enough) and had a smoothness I enjoyed. Spouse: Didn't like it as much as I did. Not enough cocoa content, rather generic in conception. Value: While we split over quality, we agreed that the price tag on this chocolate was probably a bit high. We've had better alternatives for less--in some cases a lot less! Obviously, no one is going to hate a chocolate bar--I'd just recommend that you sample one before investing in a large quantity. Make sure it delivers the bang you require for your buck!

3 Stars from my spouse, 4 stars from me--product at 3 1/2 stars. But since I write the review, I get the round-up!
VINE VOICEon March 1, 2011
You call this dark?!

I love dark chocolate--the darker, the better: anything in the 80%+ cacao range is just dandy, as far as I'm concerned. Admittedly, it should have been obvious from the 54% designation on the wrapper that this was in another category altogether--call it "dark chocolate lite," for people who would really rather just have a Hershey bar. But I guess I had hoped that the fact that it was organic and fair-traded would somehow make up for the missing cacao. In general, I really support what Newman's Own is trying to accomplish.

Alas, it was not to be. My main objection is that it tastes mass produced, like a so-called high-end chocolate bar you'd buy in a supermarket but that really is just a run-of-the-mill bar imported from Europe. In particular, there's a subtle but annoying undertaste that I don't detect in the other dark chocolate bars I'm fond of. I don't know if it's the soy lecithin or something related to how it's processed--there really are very few ingredients, which is good--but each bite has elicited nothing more than "eh" from me. I shared some of it with a chocoholic friend who also has a fondness for the really dark stuff, and her reaction was the same as mine.

As a taste test, I bought one of Newman's Own's 70% cacao bars, which was the darkest I could find in that line in my local health food store, and it was somewhat better--at least the undertaste was missing. But it too falls short of what I seek in my empty calories, so I won't be buying any more of these, at least not until I see cacao content of 80%+.

If you enjoy very dark chocolate, try Equal Exchange's 80% (lovely texture), Endangered Species 88% (with the black panther on the wrapper) or Valrhona's 85%. There's really no comparison.

Two stars for an organic, fair-traded but otherwise insipid product.

See 1 answered question