Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

Flavor Name: chickenSize: 12.5-Pound BagChange

on March 1, 2009
I adopted a dog that was raised by a bunch of frat age boys. You can imagine the diet she had; Burgers, fries, ice-cream, and the cheapest dog foods on the market.

No, she wasn't crazy about Newman's dog food when I switched her to it. But if you think about how people react to a healthy diet in the beginning it makes sense. It takes time for the taste buds to adjust and not want the artificial ingredients put into most of the food out there.

It has been almost a year. My dog, Molly, is bouncy and healthy and almost allergy free. She gets dry Newman's fed free style, and 4 ounces of Newman's canned every day. Her weight stays stable at 65 pounds which is perfect for her. Her treats are real meat jerky strips a few times a week.

On another note, this diet has made doggy duty much easier. She never vomits anymore. Her scat is always firm, making her easy to clean up after. She is regular as clock-work. All these plusses make it more enjoyable to be a dog owner.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2011
I originally bought this as a replacement for Science Diet's I/D as it was always much more expensive than anything else out there. I/D was also more expensive than Newman's at my local vet's office. I have had a ton of issues getting my dog to accept other dog foods in the past. We tried pretty much every brand that you can buy in pet shops and always had problems with my dog scratching or having her ears get bright red. We found out the problem after one of the cases where she almost went into renal failure after eating her Milkbone treats. We needed something organic without a lot of beef in it. While this one does have some bi-product for protein, it doesn't seem to bother my dog at all. She also has normal stools every time which wasn't the case even with the I/D. My dog hated the I/D. She would often leave a good portion of it on the ground or in the bowl and rarely ate it in its entirety. With the Newman's own it is night and day. She scarfs it down in less than a couple minutes and usually eats a bowl in one sitting. It seems like she loves it from the way she eats it.

A couple of the reports from reviewers originally scared me about the reports of scratching which was exactly the problem I had with other dog foods. I gave it a try and my husky has never had a problem since and she has been on it for almost three months now. My husky has always had problems with digestive issues and this seems to be one dog food that she likes and does not have problems with.

On a side note, I wish Newman's offered a bigger size bag. I have to order these all the time due to the 12.5 pound bag. My husky kills a bag in roughly two weeks due to her size. It still works out being cheaper than the $50 bag of 17 pound I/D I was ordering so I'm still happy with it. Science diet was sending me to the poor house.
on November 13, 2009
I adopted my dog about 6 months ago and he had digestive problems that the vet could find no cause for. He would get diarrhea with mucous in stools regularly. His stools would vary from constipated to unformed soft stool. I decided to switch him to a better quality food and did a lot of research. Newman's Own had all the qualities I was looking for, so I switched him to it gradually - 1/2 Purina One and 1/2 Newman's Own at first and gradually more Newmans' Own in the mix until finally 100% N.O. Ever since switching about six weeks ago, he has not had constipation or loose stools. I also don't hear his tummy roiling after meals like before. And despite what a few reviewers have written, the chicken and beef used in the pet food, while not "organic", is "natural" and raised without hormones and antibiotics.

According to [...] ingredients list: "Natural Chicken - Raised without growth hormones and antibiotics and fed only a 100% natural, all-vegetable diet, the chicken meat provides amino acids essential for muscles, hormones, enzymes, antibodies and structural and protective tissues." Also, the beef is free-range anad range fed w/ no hormones & antibiotics.

For me the evidence is clear - this is good quality food, my dog loves it and I love that when I buy Newman's Own products, the royalties go to charity!
on June 23, 2011
I switched my mini-Schauzers over to Newman's Own Organics a month ago when they came off of their puppy chow. I've been looking for a good quality dog food (rated 4 stars by without going into debt purchasing it! I was feeding them a different brand that was "breed-specific" food, but was having trouble trying to find it in stock anywhere. A few places, if they carried it at all, only carried the very small bags (2.5 lbs) and with two dogs, one bag would last about 3 - 5 days. Plus these little 2.5 lb. bags cost more than half what the larger 10 lb. bag cost! I tried to make an arrangement to have one of the places order the larger bag for me, but they conveniently "forgot" to place the order, so I was stuck purchasing the ridiculously more expensive small bags. Then I heard about Newman's Own Organics, which is rated a better dog food than the "breed-specific" food I was using and cost $$$ less! And then I discovered that I could buy this food at, have it shipped on a regular basis to my home with no shipping costs and a discount on the food for signing up for the subscription plan delivery - no brainer!! No more running out of food, no more driving 50 miles or more to find it, no more hassels!

And best and most importantly of all, my little guys LOVE IT!! Their stools firmed up almost immediately after starting the switchover, they seem more active, more alert, more regular and they actually chew this food (they inhaled their puppy chow without chewing!) I can't say enough good things about both Newman's Own and Amazon's subscription delivery service!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 23, 2008
since we began using this several years ago our senior dogs raely need to visit the vet. When we were feeding a well know premium petstore brand we were there at least 1 time every six weeks. they love the taste of newmans it keeps their tummy in tip top shape. NO more food alergies. No more vomiting, Made with bells & evans chicken the same chicken sold at whole foods & other organic food sellers. If its good enough for you, it's good enough for them. All Mr Newmans profits go to animal shelter and rescue organization. Give this food 12 weeks see the improvememnt yourself.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 13, 2009
We have a pug that suffers from chronic ear infections and skin problems. We've consistently kept him on expensive brands that are well known for having good ingredients like California Natural, Chicken Soup for the dog lover's soul, Royal Canin, and a couple others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

My Mom picked up this Newman's food because it was available at the grocery store. They love the food, but what really surprises me is that his ears and skin have improved dramatically. His stools are also much firmer and way less stinky than before. This food seems like a real winner for us.
on September 16, 2010
One of my dogs had irritable bowel syndrome which we tried to address with food from the vet, raw food, and every kind of dog food in a pet store. A friend told me about Newmans and how it cleared up her dog's stomach problems. One day later - firm stools, no gas, happy dog, ecstatic dog parents! My other dog is 10 and is often mistaken for a puppy due to her good energy and coat. I am so glad we found this food!
on September 26, 2011
We've been feeding this food to our wheaten terrier for a year, with happy results - until last Tuesday, when my latest subscribe-and-save bag was opened: my dog started throwing up during the night after eating from this new bag. On the first night, I figured she'd eaten something bad off the street. On the second night, I figured it was the lingering effects of eating something bad off the street. On the third night, I started looking for other causes for the nighttime retching, and I realized that the vomiting had started on the same day as we'd started the new bag. I stopped feeding the dog the Newman's Own and the vomiting stopped for 2 nights. Last night, I fed her the food again, and sure enough, she threw up in the night.

I trusted and liked this food - and all things under the Newman's Own brand - but i'll never buy their products again. They clearly have a dangerous quality control problem.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2009
My dogs love this food. I have fed my 11 year old German Shepard and my three year old American Pit Bull Terrier for almost three years. They have thrived so well on this food, my shepard no longer has stomach problems ... both their coats are beautiful and I am completely satisfied. When I decided to switch foods, I did alot of research on what good, healthy, mostly organic food to switch them to. I chose Newman's Own, not because I could purchase it easily at a local store .. because I can not do so, I have to order it and have it delivered, but because of the ingredients, how it is made, and because most of the proceeds go to charities. I found the best price at Amazon, and will always order it this way. I truly recommend this dog food to everyone.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2011
I was a little skeptical about switching over to this brand but I'm happy to say, my dog loves this stuff. I don't even need to add leftover meat scraps or gravy sauce like I did to his old food. This stuff is way better than the crap they sell at those chain stores. Can't beat the price with S&S! Also love that they come in smaller resealable bags which keeps the food fresh. Better to open up a brand new bag every couple weeks than to leave a huge opened bag of kibble in the pantry for months.