4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of useful information, and a lot more other information, September 12, 2012
This review is from: Newnes Electronics Engineer's Pocket Book, Second Edition (Newnes Pocket Books) (Hardcover)
This is a fairly small book. It fits easily in the top tray of my tool box. It has a durable hard cover and is well constructed over-all. I expect it to last me for many years.

I use this reference for all those calculations I can't instantly recall, since it has been more than 20 years since I left college. When I need to calculate resonance of a band-pass filter, its in there. When I need to calculate hysteresis in a transformer, its in there. Whether I need pin-outs for a pentode or a JFET, they're in there. There's also a whole lot of other pages of tables and numbers and parts that I will never use. At least I mutter to myself that I will never use them as I flip passed them to get to what I'm looking for.

This book was difficult to get my hands on. I like the Newnes books, so I was willing to wait until this one surfaced on Amazon. And wait I did. I paid more than I thought I should at the time, but you only have to look at an ugly bill once, whereas if you buy an ugly book, you will curse every time you open it.

Also, it's language style is noticeably British. This doesn't detract from its usefulness, but if I had to choose a favorite for technical writing, it would be the style used in the old Thordarsen literature. Just saying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent source of info, July 15, 2010
For a general electronics reference, I don't think you can do better. I have the Keith Brindley edition, and I must say... he's one of the easiest to understand electronics authors I've ever read. Everything I have of his is easy to understand. By the way, he's also the editor of this newer version.

Newnes Electronics Engineer's Pocket Book, Second Edition (Newnes Pocket Books)
Used & New from: $4.59