Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 13, 2007 7:02:31 AM PDT
Cathy says:
The book a long way gone is a must-read. My eyes were certainly opened. As a teacher of 12-yr olds, I couldn't help comparing the innocence of my students to the horrific maturity these children possessed. My question is about our news media. Until I read this book, I had no idea about Sierra Leone's civil war. I am fairly well read and do watch the news. Unfortunately, I know way more than I want to about Anna Nicole Smith's life. I have to assume that the news gives us what we want to see. What does that say about our priorities?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2012 8:37:32 PM PST
What age would you recommend for this book? I bought it after discussing it with the sales person at Barnes & Noble and was assured it would be fine for my 11 year old, but after reading the reviews, I'm not so certain. Ay opinion?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 2:33:00 PM PST
In the opinion of an eighth grade English teacher, this book is too graphic for an 11-year-old. It would be okay to discuss this topic with your child, but I think I'd hold off on buying the book for him/her. Read it yourself and then decide.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Apr 13, 2007
Latest post:  Jan 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Long Way Gone - Memoirs Of A Boy Soldier
A Long Way Gone - Memoirs Of A Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah (Hardcover - 2007)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (1,239)