Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Newsweek
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$24.95

on March 22, 2008
I love Newsweek, was ecstatic when I finally saw it appear under Kindle Magazines. Articles are well represented and competently organized.

Would prefer subject area organization or at least classification of articles (e.g. Health, Iraq, Politics, Science etc.) And I was disappointed not to see every single article from the magazine, particularly the page of Quotes and Numbers. I feel like they felt the content was too visual and couldn't be expressed on Kindle. I disagree. The general lack of photos and graphs and visuals from the kindle version of Newsweek is all that keeps it from being the best thing on Kindle period. Kindle has the capability to do excellent gray scale, take advantage!

--David
55 comments|239 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2009
Amazon should not identify that you can get magazines on your Kindle. You can't.

At least, that is not what they are going to deliver. You will only get a "lite" version of the magazine - just a portion. Not the full printed version. And several things will be left out. You really will not be getting the magazine. The Kindle version is NOT the magazine. Sections left out. Articles left out. Pictures and images left out.

Fortunately, there is a trial version. So you can see the inadequacies for yourself, then cancel.
44 comments|301 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2008
I have a subscription to the print edition of Newsweek and was curious as to why they left out 2 entire sections (Enterprise, Tips) and 19 articles in the March 24th Kindle edition. Only a few of the articles relied heavily on pictures and photos, and thereby would not have worked well on the Kindle. I hope future Kindle editions of Newsweek will include all of the articles that are in the print edition.

DJK
0Comment|173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 2009
I recently began subscribing to Newsweek on Kindle. To measure the gains and losses, I created a bit of an overlap between the date that my magazine subscription expired and the date that my Kindle subscription began. I wanted to know what I would be missing.

Having reviewed five issues, I note that the Kindle edition typically omits portions of the print magazine's opening Scope section. Having read the other Amazon reviews, I was not surprised by some of the items that are omitted from the Kindle edition. For instance, though I miss them, I'm not sure how clear some of the graphical items (like the CW, Then & Now, and the Indignity Index) would look on the Kindle. But I don't understand the other omissions.

In the printed magazine, the InternationaList is a collection of short articles, none of which appear in the Kindle version. Perspectives is a page with a half dozen or so quotations from the week, none of which appear in the Kindle edition. I'd love to see both of these (and the rest of Scope) in the Kindle edition.

The meatiest parts of the magazine are present on Kindle. The Take section includes the same collection of essays from Newsweek's columnists that are in the magazine; nothing is lost, and some weeks, there are one or two more essays in the Kindle version. Likewise, the Features and Culture sections also include the same (or more) stories as in the magazine, though without the pictures and graphics.

For me, the convenience of receiving the Kindle version outweighs the differences in content. But it would be nice if Newsweek could figure out a way to get more of the Scope section into the Kindle version.
on March 6, 2010
I was just about to let my "dead flat trees" subscription to Newsweek lapse, as the Kindle edition was less expensive (note the past tense there). Sure, there are a few features missing from the Kindle edition, but weighing that against the convenience and the lack of paper clutter, I thought I could make the switch. Then Amazon sent a note saying that the subscription price for Newsweek would be doubled. Suddenly, it didn't look like a great deal at all.

I'm not sure whose idea it was -- Newsweek's or Amazon's -- to increase the price, but I'm very displeased. And going back to my print subscription.
on August 13, 2008
Although zero star ratings aren't available, the failure to include Tip Sheet and Checklist is barley offset by the inclusion of most of the main articles, and journalists such as Fareed Zakaria. Please include all the content that the print and web editions contain, especially Tip Sheet and Checklist!
22 comments|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2009
After trying this out with one issue on my Kindle 2 it's not what i expected. I now realize the reason I Love to read Newsweek is because of the quotes of the week, the pictures and graphs and the COLOR! All of which are not included in the kindle version, I'm going to stick to the print version.
on November 30, 2009
honestly, how hard is it for a company like time-warner to come up with an exact replica of the printer version of a magazine? hello, ever heard of the pdf format? no, that would be too simple. they have rather decided to produce a convoluted, miserable e-reader version which feels and looks like a text file off of a unix mainframe.

time and newsweek: your grade is F for failure.
on July 31, 2010
I don't know what the problem is at Newsweek, but they seem to be bending over backwards to alienate purchasers/subscribers. Time arrives Friday; Newsweek may or not hit my Kindle by Monday. The content these days is somewhere between horribly minimal and horrendously superficial. The recently revamped website makes it impossible to see the table of contents for the current or upcoming editions. (Actually, given the fluff quotient, that may be a smart move after all.)

Long-term irritation: Since they get your mailing address when you purchase the Kindle edition-- single edition or subscription-- the junk snail-mail cometh, imploring you to subscribe to the print edition. Over and over and over again.

This decades-long subscriber initially threw in the towel 3 years ago, canceling my print subscription. I've tried again, off and on, with Kindle. Never again!

Short version: **run** away from this, as it is dang near guaranteed to aggravate the skleeboop outta you.
on May 12, 2008
Before getting my Kindle I sometimes read Newsweek and often did not read all the articles. With my Kindle I love getting Newsweek every single week and I generally read all the articles. The Kindle makes reading so easy and effortless that you too will find yourself reading more. Newsweek in particular is an excellent magazine and its easily read on the Kindle. Newsweek covers all the the major news of the week and you won't even miss the photos. The writing is good and its organized very well. I prefer it much more than Time.