on January 2, 2009
This was not quite what I was expecting. It does convert VGA to HDMI, but it only accepts certain VGA resolutions.

I was hoping to use my laptop (which has 1920x1080 output on a DB-15 port) to display 1080 video on my HDTV.

The problem is that this unit only accepts the following input resolutions:
640x480 60Hz 75Hz
800x600 60Hz 75Hz
1024x768 60Hz 75Hz
1280x720 60Hz 75Hz
1280x768 60Hz 75Hz
1280x960 60Hz 75Hz
1280x1024 60Hz 75Hz

Since only 1280x768 is a widescreen format, you are basically limited to 720 format video.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 1, 2010
Product works really good!

We have IBM Lenovo T60 and T43 laptops and wanted to connect to our Panasonic 42" Plasma TV.
When we initially connected this product following the user guide given, we were not able to see anything on TV from the laptop.We even planned to return it.Then, the RMA team came up with below suggestions. The very first few steps worked and now we are happy customers.

Please find below steps provided by them:

-------------------------------------------------
If you wish to connect VGA output to a HDMI TV, the resolutions that will work depend on the resolutions (720/1080) that are supported by your TV.

Please try set your PC resolutions to one of the supported ones listed on the listing.

640x480 60Hz <== Try first 800x600 60Hz <== Try first 1024x768 60Hz <== Try first 1280x720 60Hz <== Try first 1280x768 60Hz 1280x960 60Hz 1280x1024 60Hz 1920 x 1200 60Hz <== Try

Below is an exmaple on how to make the adjustment:

1. Open the Control Panel.
2. Double Click "Display"
3. Click the Settings Tab
4. Click the Advanced Button
5. Click the Adapter Tab
6. Finally, click List All Modes
7. Scroll to the very top and select the smallest resolution(In my case, it is 640x480, True Color, 32 Bit, 60 Hertz).
8. Click Apply *WINDOWS XP

(*) NOTE 1: Whatever resolution goes in this converter, goes out as it does not upconvert or down convert the signal. Any aspect ratio control is done from your source device or your HDTV. A 4X3 input comes out as a 4X3 output, same with a 16X9. See the above resolutions that this device supports.

(*) NOTE 2: This VGA to HDMI Adapter is not a scaler or scan converter. This means that the resolution of the video signal at the HDMI output is the same as the input signal.

(*) NOTE 3: Most HDMI enabled displays do not support the full complement of PC resolutions and are only designed to handle HDTV input formats of 480i or 480p @ 60 Hz, 576i or 576p @ 50 Hz, 720p @ 60 Hz, or 1080i @ 60 Hz. This means that if you set your PC at a resolution of 1024x768 (XGA), your display may not display the HDMI image. Try 1024 X 768 first.

In this case you have to set your PC's resolution to either 640x480@60 (VGA interpreted as 480p), 800x600@50 (SVGA interpreted as 576p), or 1280x720@60 (WXGA interpreted as 720p).

(*) NOTE 4: Your video card has to be able to output a resolution your TV supports in order to get a Pixel for Pixel image. So if the native resolution of your TV is 1366x768, you are going to get the best picture if you can
1/21/2010 [...]
Page 2 of 3 Re: RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) for Order #: 105-1185831-3587429 - Yah...
get your video card to output 1366x768. Thats what makes it 1:1...or actually 1366:1366. Some video cards can't output HD resolutions so check your manual.

(*) NOTE 5: Please try the following resolutions: 1280x720 or 1366x768 ( 1280x720 is preferred and will most likely work ). If you don`t have the resolutions listed above, please download the latest driver for your video card and it should have either 1280x720 or 720p ( under HDTV resolutions ).

(*) NOTE 6: Many consumer HDTV's suffer from overscan or cutting off of screen information that may make navigation difficult.

(*) NOTE 7: The VGA to HDMI Adapter offers the truest conversion available between a PC and an HDTV. The clarity of the HDTV display is directly related to how close the VGA out is in dimensions and pixels to the HDTV format.

(*) NOTE 8: Try it on a desktop computer to see if it can work. Try 1024 X 768 first.

(*) NOTE 9: For your laptop, please try the below operation. Right click on the laptop monitor, Choose the "Properties" Click "Settings", Tick "Expand the windows desktop to the monitor", Click "Application" to save the setting.

Then you can try clicking the "Advanced Setting" under the "Expand the windows desktop to the monitor" and set it (On this set, please check the items in details and set the one suitable for you).

(*) NOTE 10: 640x480 is EXACTLY the same as 480p, so a 480p HDTV display will be that of a true monitor in clarity. 1024x768 is closest to 720p and will generally look best on that HDTV resolution. Performance will vary slightly depending upon the HDTV.

The above limitations can be overcome providing that your PC's video card can support special resolutions, and you are able to properly configure the output. One resolution that will require no special modification is 640x480 (480p) @ 60Hz which should work on virtually all HD-Ready TV.

-------------------------------------------------
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 28, 2010
This product works like advertised. May of you complain that you cannot get it to work. I was having trouble with that as well. My TV has 3 HDMI ports. I hooked my lap top to this device and then into HDMI port 3. That one was on the side of the TV and just plain easier to access for my test run. No luck. Tried every video out setting the laptop supported and the TV reported that it was not supported by the TV.

So I did the unthinkable... I broke out the TV manual to find out what modes WERE supported. Interestingly, only HDMI Port 2 supports VGA input. Pulled the TV away from the wall to expose HDMI port 2, plugged the HDMI cable in, and bam works like a charm.

So if you are thinking about getting this product, read your TV manual. Make sure it will support an PC input over one of the HDMI ports. Then when you get this product make sure you plug into that HDMI port, not one of the other ones that might be easier to access.
on March 26, 2012
I bought this VGA to HDMI converter to connect a new 32" LED TV without a VGA (PC) input to an old desktop without a DVI/HDMI output. Installation is quick and easy. Connect the VGA cable from the computer to the VGA input of the converter, and an HDMI cable from the converter to the TV. Make sure you have a power outlet available as the converter is a powered unit.

Turn on the TV, set to appropriate input, and the computer. If you are lucky enough that the computer was already set to a resolution that matches supported resolutions as provided in the user manual, you will see what you wanted to see. Except that you may want to adjust the resolution on the computer for how you want everything to display on the TV. If you get a blank screen, you weren't lucky. You will have to adjust the resolution on the computer.
Either way, you will have to access the computer's Control Panel to adjust display settings. In the former case, when you have the display on the TV, you simply need to go into Control Panel. But when you have the TV screen showing blank, you would have to take out the VGA cable from the input to the converter and plug it into an old monitor with VGA cable (when connecting a laptop, this may be unnecessary, or simply disconnect the VGA cable from the converter and use the laptop screen). The idea here is to be able to access and change Control Panel's display settings.

Adjust the control panel display settings to a lower resolution. I would recommend going mid-range with something like 1024x720. It is likely the frequency on the computer is already 60 Hz, which this converter expects. Reconnect the VGA cable from the computer to the converter (which should still be connected to the TV via a DVI/HDMI cable). Your connection should work. If it doesn't, repeat the above with a lower resolution. This is an unlikely case.

If the display worked the first time, or you had to change the settings in the computer to make it work, either way you may want to adjust the resolution. For this, you will have to repeat the adjustments via control panel display settings, except that now your TV can serve as the display. The user manual for the converter has a host of resolution settings it apparently supports, but not all may work. In my case, the top resolution works but it also blinks. So, I've chosen a lower resolution.

Other than this need to adjust the resolution between the computer and the converter, the process is straightforward. Note, there is no need to worry about TV resolution, as it should be able to display anything as long as the signal out of the converter is fine.

I would recommend this product. I gave it four stars instead of five, since the top resolution between the computer and the converter (which is should support) doesn't work for me. So, I had to settle for a lesser resolution.
on December 30, 2008
I wasted way too much time trying to get a "simple" item to work.

Product works only at 640x480 and thus is useless. Tried two modern computers and two flat screens. Does not perform at all as advertised. I agree with the review on Amazon that warns against it.
on December 28, 2008
Bought this and hooked it up to my IBM T60 Laptop. Updated my laptop display drivers. Hooked up to my 50" Panasonic plasma HDTV. Best resolution I could get out of the second monitor was 640x480 32bit color. Could be an issue with my laptop but it is pretty new. Looked into many other units that would put laptop image on the big screen but all had one issue or another. Your best option is to save your pennies and buy a laptop with HDMI output port. Then hook the laptop to the HDTV directly. HDMI cable on Amazon will run you about $10. You could also buy the docking station for you laptop. Most have a DVI out port. Then buy a DVI to HDMI converter. This might work for older laptops as well. However, docking station is likely to run you $100. $500 more and you could have a new laptop with HDMI out built in...
on December 21, 2009
This converter solved my need! Thanks to others who reviewed the converter to help me with my purchase decision through their reviews.

This converter provides me the capability to send a high quality audio and video signal to my 1080P TV, plus I can use my TV speakers and volume control. I followed the step-by-step setup directions before powering everything up and I was delighted with the result. My only snag was finding which HDMI input on my TV was receiving the signal from my PC.

I have a two year old HP Notebook which is setup for my 2nd monitor docking station. My only available output to TV was S Video or a VGA port. I was not satisfied with the S Video picture quality and wanted sound.

I have not experimented with all the picture size options available to me, but I'm delighted to have the high quality picture and sound in a small, easy to set up package.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This item only worked at 800x600 and 1024x768 at 60HZ with a vertical band of pixellated garbage(I'm sure this is the technical term) on the right hand side. It was big enough that it took up 1/4th of the screen. At 75 Hz, it didn't work at all. These are the results in a nutshell

800x600 60Hz = vertical band of pixellated garbage
1024x768 60Hz = vertical band of pixellated garbage
1280x720 60Hz = no picture
1280x768 60Hz = no picture
1280x960 60Hz = not supported by the display adapter
1280x1024 60Hz = no picture
1680x1050 60Hz = no picture
1920 x 1200 60Hz = no picture

Again at 75 Hz, none of the res combination worked. This is after using 2 different laptops and different VGA and HDMI cables. This product will be RMA'd
on April 12, 2010
This box works perfectly, it does have certain limitations on the video quality. I have it set at 1024 X 768 and 60HZ, my TV is set to zoom mode, it is a 61" DLP and there is no difference watching a netflix steaming movie and regular DVD. Of course I also sit 12 feet away, if you sit closer you will notice all the pixels. Even on a DVD!!! For those of you that do not want to purchase a new whatever this box is for you.
on July 27, 2010
No instructions came with this device because none are needed. Just hook the appropriate cables in. I have a 42" Sanyo(DP42740)720p plasma HDTV. My Native Panel Resolution is: 1024 x 768. As soon as I plugged the hdmi cable into my TV the picture came in crystal clear from my desktop computer. I have a older Compaq Presario SR2150NX Desktop PC. I was surprised that even the small print is clear enough to read from a distance on my TV. Sound quality was good as well. The only adjustment I had to make was change the screen resolution on my TV to stretch the picture from my computer to fit the TV screen. I mainly bought the VGA To HDMI Converter w/LR Audio to view movies, TV shows and other video content from online. I download a lot of video torrents and this would save me the time of having to burn video to disk if I want to see it on my big screen TV.

There are some cables I had to buy to hook this up to my TV. I purchased the Tripp Lite P516-001 VGA/XVGA Monitor Y Splitter HD15M/2XF because I still wanted to use my desktop monitor. I bought the Belkin Audio Y Cable Splitter 1-Mini Plug/2-RCA Plugs (6ft), HDMI TO HDMI 6 foot cable, HD15(HD VGA/SVGA) M/M,Mini Gender Changer. I used the the gender changer for the Tripp Lite P516-001 VGA/XVGA Monitor Y Splitter because I had to turn one of the female connections to a male. It had 1 male connection with 2 female connections to hook to 2 separate monitors. You will need a male connection to hook to the VGA To HDMI Converter box. That was a easy cheap $1.90 fix. If you want to have your sound coming from both your TV and computer and only have 1 sound jack on your desktop computer you will have to buy a 3.5mm Mini Plug to 2 Phone Jacks Audio Adapter Cable. This is if you don't want to have to disconnect any cables if you want the sound back on your desktop PC. All these cable are relatively cheap online used or new at Amazon or elsewhere online. You don't have to spend a lot of money on cables with this device.

This device is for anyone who doesn't have a VGA input and only a HDMI input on their TV. I also have a s video input on my plasma TV. But I read that the picture quality is not that great using this input from your computer. I'm very satisfied with this little box. It does exactly what it says it does.