Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 9, 2006 4:10:32 AM PDT
Litwolf says:
Does anyone know any more info on this book? Is it the next book in the Harry Dresden series? I hope so! My mom and I are dying for the next book to be released!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2006 7:04:15 PM PDT
RKam says:
According to Wikipedia, it's the next Dresden book. Let's hope!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2006 9:27:33 AM PDT
C. Murray says:
Of course it is the next dresden book. One only has to look at the cover, as it says right on the bottom.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2006 12:38:36 PM PDT
D. Morris says:
According to Jim Butcher himself, this is indeed the next book, timed to come out around the end of the first season of The Dresden Files TV series. (Starting on Sci-Fi with a two hour movie adaptation of Storm Front in January) Jim divulged these details on Sunday September 3rd at Dragoncon.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2006 11:49:29 PM PDT
This is great news, thanks for the update, you are very informed about this.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2007 3:37:48 PM PST
R. Rousseau says:
Is anyone else disappointed with the new TV series on SCI-FI channel? If all I wanted was a mystery show...I could watch Law and Order. Where is the magic...and since when is Bob a blond Brit???

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2007 11:22:06 PM PST
Apriltini says:
I'm disappointed too. Since when does Harry have a fridge? Or live in his office? Murphy as a brunette? And what's with the drumstick and the hockey stick? It's almost embarrassing to watch what's been done to the characters. I'm trying to overlook those glaring flaws and just enjoy the fantasy. The guy they got to play Harry is a hottie though. :D

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2007 5:37:59 AM PST
I think Dresden, as portrayed in the TV series, is a little too soft. He doesn't seem to have the same hard-boiled edge the book character has. I don't like Bob's corporeal form, and I miss the Blue Beetle! The show isn't bad, and I think if I hadn't read the series I would enjoy it more.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2007 1:05:58 AM PST
Colleen says:
I'm rather fond of Bob & his skull (nice markings), but I do agree w/his place is palatial (on show) & agree w/all the appliances & appurtenences of modern life...that the book does not have.
Can't believe no one has mentioned anything about Bianca being lovey dovey w/Harry vs the book, puleeeze!! & it's been dumbed down to the High Council vs the multiple courts & council...or did I miss something?
And yes, tv Harry is really a softy vs book Harry.

And yes...I LIKE watching tv Harry...almost makes me wanna be a lady in distress - or at least in need of a wizard ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2007 6:55:53 AM PDT
K. Lawlor says:
The first three chapters of this book are available on line at Jim Butcher's website.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2007 6:35:04 AM PDT
Brodie says:
Well, to be fair to TV Harry, book Harry was 'soft' in Storm Front in comparison to Harry in Proven Guilty. It's one of the best things about the books - Jim Butcher's done a fine job of evolving Harry to where the evolution isn't noticeable.

The show's tone is more in line with the tone of Storm Front. I have a feeling (or am merely hoping) that we'll TV Harry evolve. I'm really hoping that happens; Paul Blackthorne's doing an awesome job playing Harry but they haven't given him any scripts worth a damn that do his acting talent justice. He seems fully capable of playing Harry perfectly.

Anyway... I can't wait for this book.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2007 4:05:02 PM PDT
M. Goff says:
I agree completely, Murphy is brunett, Susan is blond--I though she was supposed to be hispanic. The hockey stick etc are almost too much to tolerate. Since when does Harry live above ground and it looks like his office is where he lives. I may not watch much more. It's unbalancing my reality. LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2007 9:29:34 PM PDT
C. Mitchell says:
We've discussed the changes ad nauseam on the forums at Jim's website. Many folks feel as you do, but many of us have chosen to simply see the series as an 'alternate Harry' and try to not compare them. The show's executive producer has been kind enough to answer many questions and give us some insight into the reasons behind their changes. While personally I wish some of them hadn't been made, others do improve the series for television in my opinion.

And by the way, this new book is worth the wait. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2007 10:19:54 PM PDT
Apriltini says:
Maybe I should check out those forums then. I'd kind of like to read some of the answers about why things are the way they are.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2007 10:03:42 AM PDT
E. E. Tice says:
Do you know why this is called "a novel of the Dresden Files" and not "Book 9"?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2007 7:56:50 PM PDT
Likely because high numbers in series tend to put off new readers... Phrasing it as "a novel of" implies that the book can be used as an entry point to the series. It is only a little disingenuous, as the Dresden books do enough explain-on-the-go to allow a new reader in. Of course, the real depth and strength of the series is the character development and growth, in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2007 8:38:59 PM PDT
Donna B. says:
That isn't blond - it's WHITE. And considering Bob is several hundred years old, what else would he be but a Brit? (Terrence Mann, by the way, was born in Kentucky and spent most of the last 18 years living here in Raleigh, NC, doing his own magic with our theaters.)

I had never read any of the books until after seeing the SciFi series. LOVE IT. In the last 3 weeks, I've read all the books except "Proven Guilty," and love them all. Some of the changes make a lot of sense - Bob as orange eye lights in a skull wouldn't hold viewer attention for long, so casting Terrence Mann was - IMHO - a stroke of genius.

Paul Blackthorne - oh yeah! That's Harry, all right.

I don't mind most of the changes that were made, although I would have loved to meet Thomas on screen. I picture Thomas as blond, much more like James Marsters as Spike in "Buffy". I also wish the Alphas and the Susan storyline were in the series.

Now a question. Books - Justin takes Harry and Elaine from an orphanage as preteens and raises and trains them for about 5 years, and does not live in Chicago. Harry is 16 when he kills Justin. TV series - Justin is Harry's uncle, there is no Elaine, and the killing happened just 5 years ago in Chicago. Sooo..... are the books going to reveal that Justin is, in fact, Harry's uncle? There has to be much more to learn about Harry's family - any ideas what's coming next?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2007 11:44:25 AM PDT
Dussan says:
Long time book fan here, so I'm saying now I love the TV series. I think SciFi will murder the show, but if it gets another season I'm positive that Wolfe will show us something great.

TV Bob rocks. All the characters are starting to get in there own stride. I did like Storm Front a lot. Thought it was aweseome.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2007 12:26:50 PM PDT
Patti says:
I started reading the books after seeing the series, so I'm thankful for sci fi channel's bringing my attention to the best read I've ever had! Ate them all up like candy, and now I'm almost finished with White Night (I'm torturing myself by dragging it out for awhile). What will I ever DO when Harry Dresden is no longer a part of my everyday world??!

I enjoy the show, but I have to consider it 'an alternate Harry' as was stated. LOVE the tv Bob...hockey stick is just plain silly.

Got an email yesterday from the announce list that said WHITE NIGHT is currently
#4 in Hardcover Fiction on Publishers Weekly and #5 on the New York
Times Bestseller list, as well as #17 on USA Today!! I'm sure the show helped push those numbers along. CONGRATS to Jim Butcher!! GREAT series!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Aug 9, 2006
Latest post:  Apr 18, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
White Night (The Dresden Files)
White Night (The Dresden Files) by Jim Butcher (Paperback - May 1, 2011)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (325)